Suppressed 300 BLK AR-Pistol Build Thread - Updates as I go.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Photo updated to the gun's current configuration.

15797766158_c97f54fc6f_h.jpg

This will be my first AR of any kind, so I figured I'd go off the deep end and build it up the way I want it. I intend to use this thread as a place to post photos and ask questions along the way. The gun will be for my own education, fun, and maybe home defense at some point. I'm hoping for something highly portable, maneuverable and quiet, though still with the power of a 30-caliber supersonic round. I'm happy to pay for quality, and I want a tool such as this one to function perfectly and be highly intuitive. That ideology led me to the 300 blackout round, an 8" barrel, a titanium suppressor, and a red dot with fixed iron backups.

CURRENT PART LIST
    - Aero Precision stripped lower receiver
    - Aero Precision M4E1 upper receiver
    - V7 Weapons Systems lightweight mag catch with FDE button
    - V7 Weapons Systems lightweight ejection port door
    - BAD-CASS-SA-ST selector with short levers in FDE
    - ALG ACT trigger
    - Magpul MOE-K2 grip
    - Thordsen Pistol Builder's Kit
    - KNS turned LPK
    - V7 Weapons Systems lightweight castle nut
    - IKickHippies SLAP endplate

I was able to get the lower built without too much issue. I used Vice-Grips to push the trigger guard pin. The mag catch install was a piece of cake, as was that of the trigger group, selector, and pivot and take down pins. Earlier this afternoon, I tightened down the castle nut and staked it without issue. I'm only awaiting a RRA coiled roll pin to install my Seekins Bolt Catch. I'm confused as to why that part doesn't come with one, but it sure didn't.

The photos below do not show the V7 castle nut, which has a finish that is a much closer match to the upper and lower. The nut that came with the Thordsen kit had no place for staking. The V7 piece is also 60% lighter. Also worth noting, the gap between the nut and the buffer tube cover in the photos disappeared with the V7 piece.

Without further ado (serial number removed only in post-processing of the photos)...

EDIT: I wanted to edit the original post here to make a clarification that I hope will keep those viewing the thread from buying the Thordsen kit and using it to walk dangerously close to the line between AR-pistol and illegal short barreled rifle (SBR). As we know, the BATFE has issued a paper stating that the Thordsen kit with the CAA saddle is NOT a stock, based on the fact that the kit's purpose, as designed, is to give the user an enhanced cheek-weld. This was recently further clarified by the BATFE in a response to Thordsen, in which BATFE states, "As long as the saddle device as evaluated and installed to an AR-type pistol, is not designed or redesigned and intended to contact the shoulder and is not used as a shoulder stock, its possession and use would not be prohibited." Thus, using the Thordsen kit as originally designed causes the weapon to maintain pistol status. Incorrect use, such as shouldering the weapon, constitutes a redesign and may classify a weapon as an SBR, which would be illegal without a tax stamp. Use as designed, for an enhanced cheek weld, was and is my intention with the Thordsen kit and CAA saddle. I do not care for the NFA's existence, nor its vague nature, however I do choose to abide by it as law. I would discourage any person from shouldering an AR-pistol in any configuration, as such an act may cause said person to be in violation of the NFA. In my case, I am placing more value on the $200 that I won't be required to spend on the tax stamp to remain legal than the value I am placing on the ability to shoulder the weapon. I plan to try my hand at shooting the gun this way once it is finished, as I have never shot an AR pistol. If the configuration and firing without shouldering does not work well for me, I will choose to submit a "form one" in the future, and once approved, replace the Thordsen setup with a real stock, thus creating a legal, registered, NFA-compliant SBR.

Hopefully this educates and helps to prevent anybody from building a gun that is clearly in violation of the NFA, or even one that is stuck in a gray area. Remember, I am not a lawyer. This is only my interpretation of the current state of affairs.

15672620440_81483dc12f_h.jpg

15674196277_b25d2e4010_h.jpg

15672626950_bd553b1571_h.jpg

15859335032_a768448f9b_h.jpg

15859979545_8128520ad1_h.jpg

Last edited:

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Thanks guys. There are a few very unique parts that really excite me about the build, such as the integrated rail mount in the M4E1 upper. Still, the Thordsen kit is probably the most brilliant of the bunch. Their website has downloadable PDFs of the ATF's response to the company that states that the setup is NOT a stock.

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    That Thordsen kit is very interesting. I have never seen it before...

It's very plasticky, though I expect it to function just fine. The castle nut sucks, and I'll be swapping the buffer and spring to something heavier. Still, the fact that it saves $200 makes it a great value. All of the plastic does serve to make it fairly lightweight. Length of pull is short, but I think it will work for me. I'm 6'2".

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Two new photos. My new pistol with some of his pistol friends. The only changes are the V7 castle nut and the Seekins bolt catch. I'll say this much; I'll never install another roll pin that isn't coiled. C-pins can kiss my hindquarters. I was most apprehensive about this install, and it was probably the easiest thing I've done.

Coiled bolt catch roll pin came from RRA. I bought it and the gas tube roll pin, both coiled, and the total was $1.50 with postage. They sent them in an envelope instead of billing me $8 for a box. I like that.

15272507164_8c626b1918_h.jpg

15708743009_17ae91765c_h.jpg

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    I am hoping that Aero gives out a site-wide discount code, as I'd love to snag the matching 9" keymod rail while they are in stock. The integrated mount is ingenious.

The port door is lighter than mil-spec, too.

What are the odds that I can keep the whole build with optic and can under six pounds? The weights I can find online would put me in the ballpark, if not a few ounces over.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks guys. There are a few very unique parts that really excite me about the build, such as the integrated rail mount in the M4E1 upper. Still, the Thordsen kit is probably the most brilliant of the bunch. Their website has downloadable PDFs of the ATF's response to the company that states that the setup is NOT a stock.
    Is the "integrated rail mount" actually part of the upper? What handguards will it accept?

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    The matching rail to my M4E1 upper came in today. It's a 9-inch Aero Precision enhanced keymod unit that attaches with only eight T20 torx-head screws and provides a rock-solid fit and an entirely uninterrupted top rail. The addition called for a photo shoot. Sadly, this is how the gun will sit for awhile while I save up for the next round of parts. Happy wife, happy life.

15799153459_fa372215fe_h.jpg

15797766158_c97f54fc6f_h.jpg

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Bumping for an informative blurb in the original post regarding the Thordsen kit and its legal use, which I feel may be useful for those considering its purchase.

Also, what's the best 8-9" 300 blackout barrel on the market? I'd rather have a too-small gas port than a too-large one. I will eventually be shooting mostly supers with a suppressor, but I won't be firing any unsuppressed subs.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Bumping for an informative blurb in the original post regarding the Thordsen kit and its legal use, which I feel may be useful for those considering its purchase.

Also, what's the best 8-9" 300 blackout barrel on the market? I'd rather have a too-small gas port than a too-large one. I will eventually be shooting mostly supers with a suppressor, but I won't be firing any unsuppressed subs.
    best? Noveske

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    They won't let anybody know the size of their gas port, and I've read that it's large enough to create a fairly overgassed gun shooting suppressed supersonic rounds.

Why do you consider their barrels the best?

go with an adjustable gas block. wont matter what ammo or can goes on it, totally adj. gas pressure. i've got 2 from JP rifles great parts.

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    go with an adjustable gas block. wont matter what ammo or can goes on it, totally adj. gas pressure. i've got 2 from JP rifles great parts.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't think I want to do that, as it would add another point of possible failure to this gun. 300 blackout was designed to not need an adjustable gas block to function, especially in instances where one of the extremes of function is not required. In my case, I don't care about subsonics cycling the action without the can. I do care about not getting a ton of gas in my face with suppressed supersonic rounds. Planning and tuning, in the form of experimenting with springs and buffers, should result in the function I desire, without the liability of an adjustable gas block.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Sweet build! I love the upper/rail! I just recently put the sames seekins mag realease, bolt release, and a trigger guard. Seekins makes some sexy stuff. As far as barrels go, I dont have any REAL experience with 300blk, however a buddy and I just built an 8.5 300blk pistol using a Rainier arms barrel. I think his was their "select" offering (polygonal rifling). From what I've read they are made by Black Hole Weaponry and have a pretty good rep. Is it the best? no clue, but might be worth checking out anyway. look forward to the progress!

As far as gassing issues, i'm no help.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Sorry to thread jack... but on a side note, I keep staring at the M4E1 upper/rail combo... I'm in the market for both an upper and a rail, and their prices are not half as high as I figured they'd be! Talk me out of it... is there anything that you don't like about it? I cant seem to find a whole lot of reviews or anything, but what I do read seems positive. is it overly heavy or anything? I really like the barrel nut design, it appears that there is no interference with the gas tube. not that its really a problem, but I really like that. I'm doing an 18" build that I think this would look really good on...

Top Bottom