• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cans travel permission free, assuming they are legal where you're going.

Thanks, I just recall seeing somewhere (probably here) that at least some items required a form to be filed, but couldnt remember which stamps.

Edit: And I'd hate for OP to go that direction and then say "Oh, crap! I didnt think about that!"

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Not that you are still down that road, but I'd avoid anything that requires a stamp. No Integral suppressors or SBRs. I may be remembering incorrectly, but anything with a stamp needs written permission to move across state lines. The 45 pistol AR with a can is great because if you want to travel, you can just leave the can at home. Integral suppressor would limit your last minute travel and require a permission slip.

Wasn't sure if you considered that.

Cans don't require permission to cross state lines as long as they're legal in the state you're entering. SBRs do require a 5320 or whatever form number that is

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Did I read somewhere here that 300blk kicks more than 45? Only once shot a Vector but remember the recoil being more than my 300, really the only 300 I shot that actually had recoil/muzzle climb was a machine gun and the rate of fire was pretty high

Doing an AR45, there's no cheap way. If you want a compact 45 the cheapest for the compactness option I know of is a TNW ASR, the OAL for the pistol is 18.5", maybe throw a SB Tactical PDW on it to shave some more off and you're still under a grand.

You can probably build a solid 9mm pistol for a grand or a little over. Spikes Tactical has a slick dedicated 9mm lower. KAW Valley Precision BCG and barrels are reasonably priced. One of the biggest expenditures would be a SB Tactical PDW brace but they're worth it, or find one used.

They're not folding tubes but they're compact and at least you can shoot them in the most collapsed position

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Grey one is 45 and the od one is 300. 300subs shoot almost as soft as the 45, supers are a different story. Side by side the 45 is gentler and faster with follow up shots.

q8kgdSZ.jpg

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    I agree on a 45 AR pistol build . You can keep it under $1000. Use a standard 45 suppressor.

1-https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan-45ACP-Glock-Magazine-Compatible-Billet-Low-p/jb-spartan45.htm

2-https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/shop/8-pistol-caliber-slick-side-complete-upper-45-acp/

3-https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-hardware/kak-shockwave-pistol-brace-law-tactical-folding-stock-adapter-prod87678.aspx

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, 300 subs in my pistol aren't bad at all. I'm hoping to shoot an AR45 prior to doing this, just so I can see the differences.

JJFII, a lot of those parts are on my current spreadsheet. I was considering going with full New Frontier Armory parts, but I wanted a longer rail than what they offered on a pre-made upper, so I was going to build an upper piece by piece. However, start small and upgrade later may not be a bad choice either.

**Edit because I don't feel like double posting- I hadn't through about crossing state lines, but that's a good point to bring up. It's nice to know that I wouldn't have to worry about a suppressor either way, but if I was headed somewhere where suppressors aren't allowed, I'd be forced to fall back to the 300blk. Not terrible, and I'd probably do that anyway for a longer trip, but still it would be nice to have the option.
    So yeah, another point for the AR platform.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    We will set up a time you can run mine. It looks like I'm about 30 days out from having a suppressor on it. I'm still shopping for a replacement dot, but I've got buis that run just fine

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'm a day late to this party, but I'm also around the Columbus area and have a short barrel AR9 w/ can that I'd be willing to bring to the party, if schedules align...

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    That would be absolutely fantastic. We'll definitely have to setup a day so I can start planning the funeral that will be held when I try to pass this idea off to my wife lol

I saw a pic of a short suppressor on Street Bike Tommy's FNX. Looks like it's an Omega K suppressor. Looked through Silencer Co's offerings and if I were to pick two of them, it would either be the Omega 45k or the Hybrid 46.
    Omega because it's short. Under 7 inches.
    Hybrid 46 because it has better suppression, but only an inch longer.
    But, that's just going from their website and their listed data. I have no idea how either of those performs in the real world.

Although, looking at it, the 9mm suppresses better than the 45. Which makes me question choosing 45 for suppression.

Those of you that have suppressed 9mm and 45 both, which is more pleasing to the ear? For now, let's keep this discussion centered around factory ammo. Preferably 115gr 9mm and 230gr 45acp, since that's what I believe is most common on the shelves.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Once my suppressor gets out of nfa jail we can do this test live. In my short experience and from my hearing alone factory loaded 45 suppresses better, to the point of your 300blk with the xxx videos or better. Standard 115 9mm has a bit of a pop to it, while standard 45 seems to have a lower thud. I'm not a decibel meter just passing observations lol.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Yup and that's kind of what I'm looking for. Decibels can read one way, but IMO a louder sound that's lower in frequency, doesn't seem to be as harsh to the ears as say a shrieking guitar at the same or lower decibel reading.
    That's how I'm imagining things, but like you, I'm not a meter and I'm sure not a scientist or engineer.

It's really cool to be able to shoot that 300 in an enclosed space without headphones and it be comfortable. It will be awesome to see the difference once it's outside.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    That would be absolutely fantastic. We'll definitely have to setup a day so I can start planning the funeral that will be held when I try to pass this idea off to my wife lol

I saw a pic of a short suppressor on Street Bike Tommy's FNX. Looks like it's an Omega K suppressor. Looked through Silencer Co's offerings and if I were to pick two of them, it would either be the Omega 45k or the Hybrid 46.
    Omega because it's short. Under 7 inches.
    Hybrid 46 because it has better suppression, but only an inch longer.
    But, that's just going from their website and their listed data. I have no idea how either of those performs in the real world.

Although, looking at it, the 9mm suppresses better than the 45. Which makes me question choosing 45 for suppression.

Those of you that have suppressed 9mm and 45 both, which is more pleasing to the ear? For now, let's keep this discussion centered around factory ammo. Preferably 115gr 9mm and 230gr 45acp, since that's what I believe is most common on the shelves.
    Given those two, .45 is quieter, because 230gr is subsonic. In 9mm, you need to go to 147gr, which is also subsonic.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    It's really cool to be able to shoot that 300 in an enclosed space without headphones and it be comfortable. It will be awesome to see the difference once it's outside.

Just so I would know what it was like, I popped my canned .300 blackout in my bathroom with the window open. Tile on the walls might have made it worse, not sure. The concussive force was pretty big. Didn't have the same effect as the 10.5" 5.56, but it was there.

Don't expect movie quiet and no blast when shooting in an enclosed area. Inside range is one thing, but put it in a house and see what happens. Without the window open I am sure it would be worse. It was all manageable, and in a defensive situation I doubt you would know or care. Just pointing it out.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, movies and video games have definitely ruined a lot of the experience. Unless you shoot suppressed with a 22, which I still plan on doing.
    But I shoot mine over at the Indy Trading Post right now. They have wooden walls going all the way up at each lane and they are covered with carpet, but it's the confined space that still makes it pretty loud. I'm definitely not expecting 22 suppressed quiet, but I will say that my current hand-load for 300 will put fireballs out the end of my pistol and make everyone else at the range wonder what I'm shooting. Put that suppressor on and it's still quite the bang, but so much more manageable.

Top Bottom