• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I have a rimfire suppressor in jail and I'm cooking on potential hosts. One possibility is a Ruger Mark III 22/45 with bull barrel. I'd need to have it threaded and possibly shortened. I'm also wondering about sound from the ejection port. Is there a way to dampen that or prevent the port from opening entirely to force the gas through the can? Looking for movie quiet on this one.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The problem isn't gas coming out the ejection port. It's the mechanical clatter of the bolt cycling and slamming shut.

Don't know if John Tibbetts is still in business (TX), but when he did my suppressor, he modified my MKII with an ingenious turn-bolt modification to the rear of the receiver, where he cut it off and re-installed it so you can turn it and lock the bolt "ears" in place so the bolt is locked closed and doesn't cycle. It's simple enough I figure any good gunsmith could figure it out. It turns your gun into a slow bolt action, but really quiets it down.

The bolt noise is significant. Makes your suppressed gun sound like a spring piston airgun if you don't have a way to lock it closed.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I have a rimfire suppressor in jail and I'm cooking on potential hosts. One possibility is a Ruger Mark III 22/45 with bull barrel. I'd need to have it threaded and possibly shortened. I'm also wondering about sound from the ejection port. Is there a way to dampen that or prevent the port from opening entirely to force the gas through the can? Looking for movie quiet on this one.
    Put your thumb on the back of the bolt. Mission accomplished…lol

But seriously. I have a Mark 2. Shortened to 3.5 and threaded 1/2x28 It’s very quiet depending on ammo. And if you hold the bolt from moving. Even more so. As stated above. The movement of the mechanism causes more noise. Put it on a bolt gun for no moving parts during firing.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Put your thumb on the back of the bolt. Mission accomplished…lol

But seriously. I have a Mark 2. Shortened to 3.5 and threaded 1/2x28 It’s. Very very quiet depending on ammo. And if you hold the bolt from moving. Even more so. As stated above. The movement of the mechanism causes noise.
    Seems like a very reasonable first step! I'll give that a try first. Need to check in with my local smithy on the threading. Would you do 3.5" again given the opportunity?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    "Movie quiet" is fun. At least I'm thinking it probably would be... but I don't really think it's all that necessary.
    My MK III does the whole bolt cycle slap thing, and unless I were to shoot it in a library... I'm almost 100% sure nobody is gonna care enough about that "mechanical" sound to even bother looking up from their phone. I bet I could walk around on a crowded street, and if nobody saw me shoot it... they wouldn't know.

Unless you're out in the woods... and on guard duty. (therefore listening for such noises)
    Even then, it would be difficult to determine direction and range with any accuracy.

BTW, the MK III target (like mine) comes threaded. I just sold one on here this last week.

MKIII with can Internet.JPG

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    "Movie quiet" is fun. At least I'm thinking it probably would be... but I don't really think it's all that necessary.
    My MK III does the whole bolt cycle slap thing, and unless I were to shoot it in a library... I'm almost 100% sure nobody is gonna care enough about that "mechanical" sound to even bother looking up from their phone. I bet I could walk around on a crowded street, and if nobody saw me shoot it... they wouldn't know.

Unless you're out in the woods... and on guard duty. (therefore listening for such noises)
    Even then, it would be difficult to determine direction and range with any accuracy.

BTW, the MK III target (like mine) comes threaded. I just sold one on here this last week.

View attachment 312031
    Nice pics! "Movie quiet" definitely isn't a need, more of a "challenge accepted" scenario. I already have the pistol and right now it just sits in the safe. Thinking the $$$ in machining will promote her status. I like the 22/45 a lot but I acquired a GSG 1911 a few years back (also threaded) that gets all the action now when I want to shoot a rimfire pistol.

Last edited:

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I thought about a threaded Tac Sol barrel for my MKII's but they are rather pricey.
    I bought a Tac Sol upper for my slab sided MKII then decided I would leave the MKII as is and went looking for another lower.
    I then ran into a long barreled 25th anniversary MKI at a good price that I then decided to leave in one piece as it was super clean.
    I then traded a Walther HK mp5 22 for a stainless MKII and put the Tac Sol upper on it.
    I suppose looking back I should have just bought the suppressor ready Ruger with the threaded barrel.
    Fun gun though!
    1D023BCE-B2F5-4D02-BED6-87C4D6854CE8.jpeg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No. If I think about it, I'll do it tomorrow. For my purpose, it doesn't matter. All I need it to do is put a hole in a coyote's skull at 12 inches.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There are so many factory threaded options now for the Mk IV guns - you don't need to have an existing one threaded. Unless you just want to.

I have an older Mk II 22/45 that I did upgrade to a threaded PacLite upper. Ages ago. Came with a heavy 6" stainless steel bull barrel.

The suppressor matches the finish and diameter - so at a casual glance it looks like an integral piece.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    The Mark 2 wasn’t available from the factory threaded as I recall. Had to do it myself. Also tapered & thinned the barrel slightly to remove the warning since is was shortened 2”anyway. Relocated the front sight and done. Shown with AAC Aviator.
    IMG_0853.jpeg

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    There are so many factory threaded options now for the Mk IV guns - you don't need to have an existing one threaded. Unless you just want to.

I have an older Mk II 22/45 that I did upgrade to a threaded PacLite upper. Ages ago. Came with a heavy 6" stainless steel bull barrel.

The suppressor matches the finish and diameter - so at a casual glance it looks like an integral piece.
    Will definitely consider that depending on price to have the one I already own threaded. May just make sense to trade up.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    20230413_215703.jpg

Uber lightweight 22/45 with TacSol upper. Gemtech non-cleanable can. I did a trigger kit from Volquartsen. I've not red dot'ed it yet. I have several, just not the funds to buy the correct mount.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    View attachment 312644

Uber lightweight 22/45 with TacSol upper. Gemtech non-cleanable can. I did a trigger kit from Volquartsen. I've not red dot'ed it yet. I have several, just not the funds to buy the correct mount.
    If you look carefully at my gun, you'll notice the red dot mount isn't the correct mount for my red dot. All that mattered to me, is the screw holes lining up. I ordered a cheap mount from Amazon that was for a bushnell for around $30. I filed off the locator studs and mounted my shield.

Stengun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2024
    Horseheads
    I am shooting a tac sol and a ruger 22/45 lite upper on a mk2 lower. Both treaded Balance is pretty good with the ruger suppressor and no too long

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I had a 22/45 lite that I got through a dealer sales incentive program. Suppressing it wasn’t on my radar back then. With these form 4 approval times I’m kinda sad I sold it- could have been a fun host.

Top Bottom