• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Not the "I heart suppressors" kind.

What's the difference between integrally suppressed weapon and a can on a short barrel?

I get that balance is better on integrals versus an 18" barrel with 8" of silencer on the end, but assuming they achieve the same overall length, why choose one over the other?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Pros and Cons both ways.

If the short barrel with the suppressor is shorter then 16" then you have a double stamp gun (SBR & suppressor) so it will cost you $400 instead of $200. (Example: Thompson Machine KFO-SR) However, with a detachable can you can put the can on other hosts guns.

The integrally suppressed gun must also be over 16" to not be a SBR, if it is less then 16" even with the integral suppressor then you still have a 2 stamp gun but you can't even swap the can back and forth to other hosts. (Example: Thompson Machine KFO-IS)

One true advantage to integrally suppressed non-SBR .22LR guns is the barrels can be very short and/or ported inside and behind the body of the suppressor so bulk pack ammo stays subsonic and they are still not considered SBR's because the permanently attached suppressor meets the 16" OAL. (Example: Thompson Machine Operative-C & Operative-B)

It really boils down to preferences.

Thompson Machine KFO-IS
    DSC_3979.jpg

Thompson Machine KFO-SR
    DSC_3037.jpg

Thompson Machine Operative-C
    tm229.jpg

Thompson Machine Operative-B
    mk2b.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    The integrally suppressed gun must also be over 16" to not be a SBR, if it is less then 16" even with the integral suppressor then you still have a 2 stamp gun but you can't even swap the can back and forth to other hosts. (Example: Thompson Machine KFO-IS)

One true advantage to integrally suppressed non-SBR .22LR guns is the barrels can be very short and/or ported inside and behind the body of the suppressor so bulk pack ammo stays subsonic and they are still not considered SBR's because the permanently attached suppressor meets the 16" OAL. (Example: Thompson Machine Operative-C & Operative-B)

Thompson Machine KFO-IS
    DSC_3979.jpg

Thompson Machine KFO-SR
    DSC_3037.jpg

Oh believe me, I've been looking at those examples in the WTS quite a bit. :)

Maybe I'm unclear as to what integral suppression actually is. I thought it was more or less lacerating the barrel putting the baffles around it, so the round never had to cross a threshold like in a screw on can?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I thought it was more or less lacerating the barrel putting the baffles around it, so the round never had to cross a threshold like in a screw on can?

Most monocore take apart intergral suppressors are built like this:

A normal barrel is threaded on the outside. A suppressor tube is then threaded on the inside and attached to the barrel. (In the case of a non-SBR permanently attached) The suppressor tube is then a looooooooooooooooong hollow tube to the very end of what looks like the barrel from the outside but is really a huge hollow blast chamber. Then at the very last 5-6" a screw in baffle system is used.

In this pic below of an old version of the TM Operative-C barrel you can see a slight color change where the solid barrel switches to hollow tube. Then the hollow tube goes all the way until where this monocore baffle system would bottom out if screwed in.

TM_operative.jpg

I have never had a k-baffle integral apart because "most" are not user friendly and taking it apart would mean destroying it or getting in over my head.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Blackhawk Axiom R/F stock
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...o_is_and_kfo_sr_special_order_sbr_rifles.html

So unless I'm misunderstanding (which is possible given the number of new words I just learned in your post), it sounds like it functions exactly the same as a standard suppressor, except for the "can" covers the whole barrel and becomes a "huge hollow blast chamber"?

Thanks for taking the time for the explanations, btw.

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Close, the suppressor doesnt cover the barrel at all though. The suppressor just lacks a barrel side endcap. Instead the barrel inself is threaded the same diameter as the OD of the suppressor and replaces the barrel side endcap that a removeable suppressor would have.

It would be easier to explain ifI could show you my KFO-IS, it comes apart unlike production models. I can show you in person but as part of the TM T&E team I am asked not to post trade secrets on Al Gores inter-web.... :):

Top Bottom