• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I received an RCBS ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas. The design of it is to clean brass. I want to use it to clean the internals on my .22LR cans. Any suggestions for homemade solutions? I'd like to clean them before doing some more comparison tests. Google searches keep coming up with "The Dip" and I really don't want to generate a haz-mat area in the house!
    Thanks,
    Dan

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As long as you know the metals, you should be able to select a suitable cleaner. Don't want to use something that will eat the metal. I think I remember the brass cleaner I use saying it will dissolve gold. My wife wanted to clean her jewelry in my sonic..... glad I knew to read the label. I've used simple green in mine with stainless parts, but you have to keep the cycles short and rinse well. I've been told Seafoam fuel system cleaner works really well too. Interested in what some others say as my first can is waiting on my form 4 to return.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I received an RCBS ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas. The design of it is to clean brass. I want to use it to clean the internals on my .22LR cans. Any suggestions for homemade solutions? I'd like to clean them before doing some more comparison tests. Google searches keep coming up with "The Dip" and I really don't want to generate a haz-mat area in the house!
    Thanks,
    Dan

I have heard Simply Green works well, but I am new to ultrasonic cleaning. Works good on my stainless TRP.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Primarily it will be for the aluminum .22lr and steel Form 1 can internals. I'll try a mixture of Simple Green and water and see how it works. I don't plan on doing the tubes.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Dan

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I like using Slip2000 ultrasonic cleaner, but I've never tried it on baffles, just gun parts, and the parts haven't been caked in molten lead like baffles get

Most aluminum baffles you shouldn't stick in an ultrasonic, and if you do you should go easy since it will pit the aluminum baffles. Or at least that's the common word around the interwebz, been meaning to try it for a while just never have (like 5 minute cycles)

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Plus might remove the finish on the outside of your cans if you have the non-disassemble type like Gemtech's original 22 type.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I like using Slip2000 ultrasonic cleaner, but I've never tried it on baffles, just gun parts, and the parts haven't been caked in molten lead like baffles get

Most aluminum baffles you shouldn't stick in an ultrasonic, and if you do you should go easy since it will pit the aluminum baffles. Or at least that's the common word around the interwebz, been meaning to try it for a while just never have (like 5 minute cycles)

This is my understanding as well.. Aluminum baffles are a no go for the reasons state by M67 (pitting). Stainless steel are often encouraged to be dropped in an ultrasonic. Sounds like it'll work for you Form1 can.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've been looking at the Simple Green versions and it seems the purple doesn't pit aluminum. All of my current cans disassemble so the outer tube isn't a concern. I do have a Thunder Beast and an M4-2000 in jail though. I ordered some of the purple stuff and will do some experiments next week if I have time. I appreciate everyone's replies.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    If I had a garage to put it in that looks like a good idea. However since it needs a compressor it's a bit too large overall for my work area inside. Great idea though.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    If I had a garage to put it in that looks like a good idea. However since it needs a compressor it's a bit too large overall for my work area inside. Great idea though.

I don't use a cabinet. I use it outside my garage with a Porter Cable donut compressor. I use this set up-

Blast-Out-of-a-Bucket Abrasive Gun

Get a 10lb tub of soda and off you go.

I think that Harbor Freight has something like it too.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Didn't notice this when I looked at Harbor Freight 21 Oz. Hopper Gravity Feed Spot Blaster Gun My son in law has my compressor and this looks like it would go right onto it. Add this Soda Blasting Media - 50 Lbs. Medium Grade and it looks like I would be ready to go. Problem now is what to tell the wife about the ultra sonic she got me. I guess I could use it for the non-serviceable cans and other stuff. I'll have to go into the store tomorrow when I'm in Plainfield.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I emailed Griffin Armament as to what they recommend. I shot with my silencer for the first time today. It's crazy how dirty and how hard the residue is!

I had a thought though. Zmax is a automotive product and I had a long discussion with one of their engineers when I started using it to clean out carbon in my motorcycle since the motorcycle uses a wet clutch. Zmax is just a microlubricant and once it works it's way into the metal, it helps prevent carbon buildup on engine components. I wonder if it would help if I soaked the internals down and let it sit a few days before wiping off the excess. Worst it could do is smoke a bit.

Hewitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2016
    Solsberry
    I've thought about blasting with glass beads. They're kind of aggressive on steel though. I've seen YouTube videos where guys clean aluminum baffles in wet tumblers with steel pins. Seems like it would take a really long time. Does soda clean lead and gunk off aluminum pretty quick? I know the glass beads would wear the anodizing off in no time on the aluminum baffles. I'd like to find something fairly quick.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I've thought about blasting with glass beads. They're kind of aggressive on steel though. I've seen YouTube videos where guys clean aluminum baffles in wet tumblers with steel pins. Seems like it would take a really long time. Does soda clean lead and gunk off aluminum pretty quick? I know the glass beads would wear the anodizing off in no time on the aluminum baffles. I'd like to find something fairly quick.

It may take a couple of passes with the soda gun, but it will take off the lead. I would NOT use glass beads. Too abrasive.

It takes about 5 minutes a piece to clean the baffles in my Mystic and jail broke AAC Eco 9 can.

Hewitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2016
    Solsberry
    I figured the glass beads were too much. Anything that works that good has to have a downside. If soda will do the job in 5 minutes I'll be all over that. Now I just need a decent blaster setup. Thanks.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I made mine from parts from Harbour Freight. It works great and as others have said it takes very little time to do it's job.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have a YHM Stinger and I used, Silencer Cleaning - Rimfire Research & Development method with the stainless steel pins to clean my baffles. I put maybe 200 rounds through it and had to let it sit in jail while paperwork cleared. Once I got to possess it I cleaned it and the pins work wonders. I also use the tumbler and pins to clean brass for reloading and have been very happy with the results.

Top Bottom