• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I'll try to make this as coherent as possible.

I have been in the market for another suppressor for a while now, and am finally about to have some money freed up to be able to get one. The problem is I can't decide which route to go. All of my rifles are .22 or .223/5.56. I have no desire or plans to get anything in a .308 or 7.62. I also already have a Gemtech Outback II.

I have a couple rifles, and would obviously like to be able to use the suppressor on all of them. Some are not currently threaded, but they will all be 1/2-28.

I was originally looking at the YHM Phantom QD because I liked the QD system. Obviously with it being QD it's an easy on/off ordeal from one rifle to the next. The downside to this one is it costs more, weighs slightly more, and is longer than other options. Not to mention needing to buy a flash hider for each rifle.

Another option I am considering are the HTA suppressors. It would require needing to remove/re-install flash hiders in order to move it from one rifle to another, but you can really only shoot one rifle at a time anyways. They come in stainless steel by default and are slightly lighter, shorter, and definitely more cost effective than the Phantoms. They are also rebuildable and can have the thread pattern easily changed.

This leads me to my next issue. 5.56 vs 7.62 suppressors. The MSRP and dimensions are the same between the two Kestrel suppressors. They are also able to have the thread changed for use on various thread patterns. This would be a benefit if going with the 7.62 suppressor because I could get the proper Omni-mount to match the AKs in my group in the event they may need to use it. I would only consider going the 7.62 route with the HTA because it would mean even higher cost with the YHM and would require the 7.62 rifles to have their QD flash hider.

So, basically:

- YHM has the ease of moving from rifle to rifle, but at a higher cost.
    - HTA requires a little more work going from one rifle to another, but is at a lower cost. I also have the option of easily moving it from a 5.56 rifle to a 7.62 rifle if I choose to go with the latter.
    - If I go the HTA route, do I go 5.56 or 7.62?
    - Are the QD Omni-mounts available yet?
    - Any HTA dealers in the Indy area?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Don't get your hopes up on any neww mounts from HTA. They were supposed to the QD for the 556 like a year ago and it still isn't available. And I've read many posts on other forums about people being very upset about not having available mounts for AK pattern rifles they were told would be available, and they can't even mount their cans.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Is QD that big of a deal for you? I am getting a QD but that's because I just happened to want a specific suppressor and flash hider which are compatible. By and large threading is a better fit and better option from all of the research I've done. I see you want to go from host to host with it and QD might be a little quicker but I don't know that it'd be worth putting the flash hider on every host, not to mention some hosts might look pretty silly with it.

You've been in the market for "another" suppressor. What do you currently have? Just the Gemtech?

If I read this right you're debating over a 556 or 762?

Just some random thoughts for you.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    Go YHM QD and never look back. I transitioned from HA to YHM for 556 and I have not been sorry. If you go with a Titanium and Inconel can, they are incredibly light. The HA can is heavy, very heavy.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I can understand the QD feature for being neat, but I personally don't find it necessary, and would rather save the $80 per additional flash hider (per gun.) I don't buy anything in QD unless its the only option. Also, for the 'suppressor under the rail look," QD is a pain in the butt, especially if you forget to lock-tite your flash hider. You never know which will release first, especially after extended shooting sessions. Function over 'coolness factor,' I guess. Besides, threading a suppressor a few extra turns isn't really 'work,' is it?

One other thought to consider, Ti vs Stainless. Given the option, get the Titanium. They're more expensive, but take significantly less time to cool down. This'll save you time if you're moving from one host to another a lot.

I'm an HTA dealer in Indy. Let me know if you want to take a look at one of the .223 cans. I can also set up a demo if you want to hear one. I finally got to shoot my .223 can on my SBR over Easter, and it's quiet as a mouse. I was stunned.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just sent in my Form 4 for a HTA 5.56 can. I shot one on my 10.5 barrel and loved it.

The 7.62 full sized cans weren't out yet so I jumped on the smaller can. I am sure that once I hear the bigger can I will start drooling over it as well.

My thoughts were that if I go on an extended day shoot I can always put the 5.56 can on my SBR and my 22 can on a pistol.

When I finally get a 7.62 can I will be sure to have different end caps so I can swap it around as well.

I didn't go with, or want, QD because I didn't see me swapping that much in the middle of a shoot. Besides, the money spent on mounts could be used toward my next stamp instead.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Is QD that big of a deal for you? I am getting a QD but that's because I just happened to want a specific suppressor and flash hider which are compatible. By and large threading is a better fit and better option from all of the research I've done. I see you want to go from host to host with it and QD might be a little quicker but I don't know that it'd be worth putting the flash hider on every host, not to mention some hosts might look pretty silly with it.

You've been in the market for "another" suppressor. What do you currently have? Just the Gemtech?

If I read this right you're debating over a 556 or 762?

Just some random thoughts for you.
    Since I'm considering going with the Kestrel, QD isn't a big deal, but it would be nice for ease of moving it from host to host. Not that I have a safe full of hosts, but being able to go from an AR to the MVP and not needing to put some sort of muzzle device back on the AR would be nice.

I currently only have the Gemtech .22 suppressor and have been wanting to pick up a 5.56 for a while now.

I'm only debating between the 5.56 and 7.62 if I go the HTA route because they are the same price and specs. I don't own, or plan on owning, any 7.62 rifles, but it could be a convenience factor down the road for use on others' rifles.

I can understand the QD feature for being neat, but I personally don't find it necessary, and would rather save the $80 per additional flash hider (per gun.) I don't buy anything in QD unless its the only option. Also, for the 'suppressor under the rail look," QD is a pain in the butt, especially if you forget to lock-tite your flash hider. You never know which will release first, especially after extended shooting sessions. Function over 'coolness factor,' I guess. Besides, threading a suppressor a few extra turns isn't really 'work,' is it?

One other thought to consider, Ti vs Stainless. Given the option, get the Titanium. They're more expensive, but take significantly less time to cool down. This'll save you time if you're moving from one host to another a lot.

I'm an HTA dealer in Indy. Let me know if you want to take a look at one of the .223 cans. I can also set up a demo if you want to hear one. I finally got to shoot my .223 can on my SBR over Easter, and it's quiet as a mouse. I was stunned.
    One reason I liked the QD of the YHMs was because it would work better with most of the rails out there for the under the rail look, but I know a thread-on will work better with this than any QD setup.

It's not so much the extra turns of mounting/removing the suppressor, but needing, or wanting, to put a muzzle device back on after removing the suppressor. Like I said though, I can only shoot one at a time and it will probably always be with the suppressor, so maybe that's a non-issue unless a rifle is given to someone else to use.

I would like to go Ti, but going off of MSRPs I could almost get two HTA for the price of one thread-on YHM Ti. Given that scenario, I would almost rather do that and mostly solve the swapping from host to host issue. :):

This wouldn't all be such a big deal and being over-thought if it didn't cost $200 per transaction, and I wasn't "stuck" with what I bought.

Do you have any at the shop right now? How much are they running? You can PM if you'd rather.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I went AAC for my .308 can, and the QD system is the reason. I plan to run the can on several hosts (so that means various thread patterns). I wanted to be able to move the can from one host to another, no keeping track of adapters. I wanted a system that locks the can on so I don't have to worry about it backing off. I wanted to be able to run my guns w/o the can and not have to mess with thread protectors or re-installing muzzle devices. Yes, the AAC can was ~$400 more, but that bought me all of those features (not including the cost for the various QD mounts).

And in Q1 2014 when I'm likely to take posession of my can, I'll let you know if it fit my needs.:n00b:

-rvb

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I'm only debating between the 5.56 and 7.62 if I go the HTA route because they are the same price and specs. I don't own, or plan on owning, any 7.62 rifles, but it could be a convenience factor down the road for use on others' rifles.
    The 7.62 suppressor you referred to is not a standard 308 silencer. It is the 7.62AK suppressor designed for use on the AK47 style rifle. It is NOT hearing safe on a 5.56 rifle due to the oversize bore.

The 308 HTA can will be longer, heavier, and MSRP is $100 higher. I just wanted to clarify so you don't pick a product you won't be happy with. :)

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    The 7.62 suppressor you referred to is not a standard 308 silencer. It is the 7.62AK suppressor designed for use on the AK47 style rifle. It is NOT hearing safe on a 5.56 rifle due to the oversize bore.

The 308 HTA can will be longer, heavier, and MSRP is $100 higher. I just wanted to clarify so you don't pick a product you won't be happy with. :)
    I knew I shouldn't have put 308 in there, right after I typed it. It would be for 7.62AK.

I just want to clarify that you mean the 7.62AK is not hearing safe for 5.56, and not that you meant the .308 HTA.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm Pro QD

IMHO Its worth the extra money to be able to quickly apply and remove a suppressor and switch between guns. I would be buying a muzzle device for every rifle anyways so it wasn't a big deal. I prefer the thick large simple threads of a QD verses the tiny more-likely-to-cross-thread-and/or-fill-with-carbon standard treads. I prefer knowing that i didn't tighten it down to much/too little, by using the QD. I prefer the solid lock (ratchet) you get with the qd.

I went with the YHMti 308 based on the above, plus i wanted to use it on 556-7.62-300blk. This video sold me on it. You may recognize the star.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKrUVoj4Ea0[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ffVV0-0Iik[/ame]

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks Vitamink, as I was reading this thread, I was planning on posting those videos. (Out-cooled again!)

The 7.62 QD is the way to go. I only wished Corey posted those videos before I bought the 5.56 QD.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    CR, we need to work a buy two YHM Ti and get a bigger discount angle. I just need to save up some more $.

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    I own 1 suppressor - an AAC M4-2000. I love it. For multiple hosts, I think QD is a must. I think there a lot of good options out there, I would put an emphasis on what is available locally? Is budget a big or small issue?
    If budget is loose and you can find them, I'd look into AAC/surefire. I think they're both well made, built to higher standards than you will utilize, and are well-serviced.
    If budget is an issue, I've always heard reasonable things about YHM and gem tech and would look into them.
    Regardless, always remember 556 isn't mall-ninja queit, will lead to gas-in-your-face with ARs, and get an H2 buffer ready for your AR.
    Good luck!

Top Bottom