Suppressor from a private individual, age?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    Age to buy a suppressor from a private individual, 18 – 21 – 18 -21 -18 -21??? Which is it?

On Form 4 Question 13 (d) ask if under21 years of age. I see different answers from other post (below) but no one points out where the ATF / NFA states where someone under the age of 21 can have a suppressor transferred to them. Can someone point this out? Has anyone here under 21 received a stamp? Thanks

To legally purchase asuppressor/silencer or any item falling under the purview of the NFA, you must be at least 21 years of age,

18 to purchase from individual in your own state. 21 to purchase from a dealer.

Must be 21 to start paperwork. You buy from another individual in your state on a Form 4 when you're 18

It's only 21 to buy from an FFL...

One CAN buy an NFA item from an individual at age 18.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Age to buy a suppressor from a private individual, 18 – 21 – 18 -21 -18 -21??? Which is it?

On Form 4 Question 13 (d) ask if under21 years of age. I see different answers from other post (below) but no one points out where the ATF / NFA states where someone under the age of 21 can have a suppressor transferred to them. Can someone point this out? Has anyone here under 21 received a stamp? Thanks

To legally purchase asuppressor/silencer or any item falling under the purview of the NFA, you must be at least 21 years of age,

18 to purchase from individual in your own state. 21 to purchase from a dealer.

Must be 21 to start paperwork. You buy from another individual in your state on a Form 4 when you're 18

It's only 21 to buy from an FFL...

One CAN buy an NFA item from an individual at age 18.

This is why I buy straight from the dealer. :wallbash: The intricacies of the NFA laws are crazy. Thank God im 35 years old and dont have to worry about the age issue.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    Age?

I am a Class III SOT dealer, and was told by ATF you must be 21 to own a NFA item. But... I had a thread deleted when suggesting I thought you had to be 21. Also other post suggest you only have to be 18. Just like to know which it is, and where to see it in black and white for myself? The woman from the ATF was not from the NFA section, but she did check with someone and got the answer for me.... so I am still confused.... :n00b:

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I am a Class III SOT dealer, and was told by ATF you must be 21 to own a NFA item. But... I had a thread deleted when suggesting I thought you had to be 21. Also other post suggest you only have to be 18. Just like to know which it is, and where to see it in black and white for myself? The woman from the ATF was not from the NFA section, but she did check with someone and got the answer for me.... so I am still confused.... :n00b:

This is my understanding as well. It is similar to the handgun issue. You can't buy one from a dealer, but you can take possession of one privately.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    18?

I agree with that and it is in writing, and there is no background, 4473, or NICS check in Indiana at this time for private sale of regular guns. However "sales" private or FFL SOT for NFA items are controlled, background check is done, and is under Federal law? I would still like to see in print!
    And those under 21, I am sure would also like to know.

Last edited:

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Would it be considered a straw sale or some other legal issue to buy one for someone from a dealer, wait the six months and then sell it to them? I'm inclined to say no as a backround check still occurs.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Would it be considered a straw sale or some other legal issue to buy one for someone from a dealer, wait the six months and then sell it to them? I'm inclined to say no as a backround check still occurs.

Im not sure on the hypothetical, but it is a really unlikely hypothetical. 12+ months for the purchase, and a total of $400 tax stamps. Wouldnt it be cheaper, faster, easier, and less of a gray area to use a trust or LLC to do the initial transfer, then have the under 21 person be a member of the trust or LLC? Or "sell" the LLC to under 21 person?

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Im not sure on the hypothetical, but it is a really unlikely hypothetical. 12+ months for the purchase, and a total of $400 tax stamps. Wouldnt it be cheaper, faster, easier, and less of a gray area to use a trust or LLC to do the initial transfer, then have the under 21 person be a member of the trust or LLC? Or "sell" the LLC to under 21 person?

I've always wondered about that, even outside of this context. Do people ever sell NFA items to strangers via a trust or LLC? I can see a really rich guy who decided he wants a machine gun willing to pay extra if he can just buy out your ownership in a trust or LLC and take possession immediately. I bet the ATF would not care for that.

Top Bottom