• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    I have a SBR at the gunsmith right now. As soon as it comes back i plan on running my 5.56 suppressor underneath the handguard about an 1 inch. The diameter of the suppressor is 1.5 and the I.D. of the handguard is 1.56.

If i run my AR hard with a mag dump will this heat up the handguard pretty bad? Does anyone have any personal experience with this sort of thing?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Coming from a guy with a little expierence in suppressors, I will attest that although it looks really cool, having them way up inside hand guards is a royal PITA.

#1- Hard to clean, anti-sieze, or inspect your threads.

#2- Makes the handguard hot

#3- Inevitably any can with changeable mounts will have the mount come off on the barrel as you unscrew the body of the can off thinking the whole cans coming. It is then a PITA getting the mount off.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but know that it will be more difficult to do easy stuff with it.

Here is three of mine like that, to different degrees of "hiding".

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I've been going back and forth on this also. While it looks cool, I'm just not sure it's worth the penalty.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    My 4.5" .22lr upper has the can under the handguard, and every single time I screwed the can off, the mountwo unscrew fromantic the tube and stays on the barrel. Then I have taken the handguard off to get to it or screw it back on and apply different forces of pressure to get it to pop loose.

Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    Coming from a guy with a little expierence in suppressors, I will attest that although it looks really cool, having them way up inside hand guards is a royal PITA.

#1- Hard to clean, anti-sieze, or inspect your threads.

#2- Makes the handguard hot

#3- Inevitably any can with changeable mounts will have the mount come off on the barrel as you unscrew the body of the can off thinking the whole cans coming. It is then a PITA getting the mount off.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but know that it will be more difficult to do easy stuff with it.

Here is three of mine like that, to different degrees of "hiding".

Nice Guns! Have you tried any heat sheild type rail covers you like? We can't be the only ones with rails heating up. I wonder why someone does not make a handguard that is designed for this.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am another that advised not to cover any portion of the suppressor on rifle caliber rounds, for the reasons curraheeguns mentioned.

Note, I did this on a build many moons ago, and changed it.

Now, for a rimfire or pistol caliber SBR, go for it.

Top Bottom