• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Didn't say I disagreed...Just asked why.. Don't see "noise pollution" as a problem..what you shoot maybe once or twice at a deer? Shoot a .22 at squirrels? once or twice a night at yotes....once at a Turkey...Don't see the harm...
    I do however see a problem with poachers sniping deer out of truck windows in these parts....

So what are you gonna silence? Your .22 that is so deafining? Or your deer gun you shoot so much during season?
    the reality is it will never happen with the goverment we have..
    MY OPINION:twocents:

Hearing loss caused by loud noise is cumulative. Even my .22 howitzers. It's hard to hear the game wearing hearing protection unless you get pricey and spend $70 or better on a good electronic set. They're also sweat inducing when it's 80 degrees and I'm hunting squirrels which is uncomfortable. I don't think hunting deer with a suppressor was under consideration. Small game and varmints mostly. I already own a suppressor. Why should I be required to purchase another piece of equipment to protect my hearing if I already own equipment that will do the same job safely? :draw:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Looks like 4 of the 5 points he made were about "Noise" anyway you shuffle it..And WTH does purple got to do with it?:dunno::dunno:

From the FAQ section of this forum:

Why is someone writing text in purple?
    INGO member Paco Bedejo gets the blame for this one. He began highlighting his text in purple to indicate sarcasm (a difficult concept to convey in text-only), and it stuck. We moderators think this trend is totally useless and worthless. ;)

Your post just seemed dismissive at face value only, and it came off a little rude. Thus, I thought you were being sarcastic and funny, but that's hard to decipher in a written forum. Hence the need for purple.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    From the FAQ section of this forum:

Why is someone writing text in purple?
    INGO member Paco Bedejo gets the blame for this one. He began highlighting his text in purple to indicate sarcasm (a difficult concept to convey in text-only), and it stuck. We moderators think this trend is totally useless and worthless. ;)

Your post just seemed dismissive at face value only, and it came off a little rude. Thus, I thought you were being sarcastic and funny, but that's hard to decipher in a written forum. Hence the need for purple.
    Gotcha :yesway: Wasn't trying to be rude, sorry to those If I came across that way.. put your :draw: down!! LOL!!

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Gotcha :yesway: Wasn't trying to be rude, sorry to those If I came across that way.. put your :draw: down!! LOL!!

No worries! I thought you were being sarcastic, but failed to use the purple. Of course, you would have to read the FAQ's to know about the purple, and only like 0.00000001% of anyone here has read the FAQ's. :D

Ok, enough with the threadjacking. Stay safe, boonedock! :yesway:

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Didn't say I disagreed...Just asked why.. Don't see "noise pollution" as a problem..what you shoot maybe once or twice at a deer? Shoot a .22 at squirrels? once or twice a night at yotes....once at a Turkey...Don't see the harm...
    I do however see a problem with poachers sniping deer out of truck windows in these parts....

So what are you gonna silence? Your .22 that is so deafining? Or your deer gun you shoot so much during season?

I would like to suggest that the poaching angle is the least realistic of the objections against suppressors for hunting. Anyone poaching isn't going to worry about regs as they aren't worried enough to get a license so as to comply with the regs. A suppressor won't help them much anyway as they do not really silence the shot, they reduce the muzzle blast. Anyone who has ever fired a suppressed firearm or heard one in person will tell you that a gunshot is obviously a gunshot whether suppressed or not. The bullet noise is recognizable and is frequently the most prominent feature of any gunshot. Those of us not at the shooters shoulder hear a shot from far away and what we hear is the bullet noise. Game wardens will recognize a suppressed shot and so will you. On the other hand, crossbows are allowed for hunting and no one has yet complained that they are being used for poaching (they are) or that they are too quiet to be heard (pretty close) so that they make a better poachers weapon. I've heard that one of the arguments frequently used in the fights with legislatures over suppressor use is to ask if crossbows are legal and whether the shooters are required to blow an air horn or other noisemaker when they fire a shot. Makes a lot of sense. Poaching with suppressors is a joke, its not going to be a real issue if the regs are changed and its typical media type hype to cloud a real issue. Guns are noisy and OSHA, EPA and other govt agencies have set limits on the noise we can be exposed to in work or play environments. Mufflers on motorcycles, offroading vehicles, generators and just about every other appliance are required by everyone yet suppressors for firearms are considered dangerous spy type weapons of mass destruction. Its a real sad day when one of our own plays into their hands and gives us up to the commies......

Frank

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Now this is my opinion here...But why? Why do you need to hunt with a silencer?

Hunting is one of the areas where you can make a case for "need" when it comes to silencers... Most other civilian firearm uses could substitute hearing protection. Hunters have limited choices... They have a "need" to hear what's going on in the woods around them... And they have a "need" to protect their hearing when they do fire... The only choice that would do both is the above mentioned electronic hearing protection... Most hunters won't wear that in the woods... There's alot more than a little ringing in your ears... Permanent damage is being done...:twocents:

50BMG Steve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Richmond Area
    I don't think anyone said they had to hunt with a suppressor. Hunting with one however makes sense for both the hunter and people that maybe nearby. The sound from a firearm is not only dangerous to the hearing of nearby people it is annoying to people in earshot. In some countries it is required you have a suppressor to shoot a firearm. I hope that we can overcome a Hollywood generated fear of suppressors soon.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Now I know why we have such a hard time getting our freedoms back. We live in a FREE country, which was founded on LIBERTY and LESS government interference.

So what do we have here? A discussion on hunting with suppressors and we have one of "our own", someone who should be on the side of liberty and freedom asking why we feel the need to do something. If we have to justify liberty to our own, when even those on "our side" have bought into the notion that if a person wants to do something, they should have to justify a need or reason to their government and fellow citizens, how are we EVER going to convince those who are against liberty and freedom?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Now I know why we have such a hard time getting our freedoms back. We live in a FREE country, which was founded on LIBERTY and LESS government interference.

So what do we have here? A discussion on hunting with suppressors and we have one of "our own", someone who should be on the side of liberty and freedom asking why we feel the need to do something. If we have to justify liberty to our own, when even those on "our side" have bought into the notion that if a person wants to do something, they should have to justify a need or reason to their government and fellow citizens, how are we EVER going to convince those who are against liberty and freedom?

We probably won't. Don't forget, throughout history freedom and liberty have been the exception, not the rule.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Actually Davis was a just lackey. Bosma is the real problem. He didn't want the bill heard because he didn't want it passed. He did not want Indiana to appear radical and out of the mainstream by allowing people to use their own private property. Call and thank Speaker Brian Bosma at 800-382-9841. Then vote for his opponent this fall. I would trade 2 years of a democratically controlled House to see Bosma beaten by a democrat this election. He's not a Republican. He's a gutless charlatan using others to hide his slight of hand.

Everything above is correct expect this line from what I understand. My understanding is that it could have passed but the public policy committee chairman, Representative Bill Davis of Jay, Delaware and Randolph Counties allowed it to die by objecting to the language being inserted into HB1279 because it was not passed by his committee.

Thanks Bill for acting like anything BUT a Republican that believes in the second amendment.

Indiana House of Representatives Republican Caucus: State Representative Bill Davis - Home

You are understanding incorrectly.

The language of SB243, since not given a fair hearing in the public policy committee due to Rep. Davis canceling all further meetings limiting public input and killing all left over bills, was BY HOUSE RULES allowed to be added to another bill as an amendment.

A new HOUSE RULE this year says that the committee chair of a committee has the right to object to language being added as an amendment to another bill if that bill did not get a hearing in his committee.

Rep. Davis is not a victim of a sly under the table deal in which a law was going to be repealed. Rep. Davis purposely killed SB243 when he refused to hear it in the form of a committee meeting and then subsequently killed it a second time when he objected to it being added as an amendment to a natural resources bill.

In fact, who really killed this bill? Let's ask ourselves why a bill about hunting was ever assigned to the public policy committee instead of the natural resources committee in the first place.

It is my stance that the cards were stacked against this bill on the house side from the start.

So much for certain Indiana Republicans being for gun rights and allowing law abiding Hoosiers the right to exercise certain rights that even the Federal Government grants.

Then here's an idea. Let's stop poaching by introducing a law that makes taking game with bows, snares and traps illegal. :rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

243 would not legalize poaching, only legalize the use of suppressors for taking of game.

the reality is it will never happen with the goverment we have

Yes, your .22 is deafening, as is your deer gun. You are destroying your hearing with every shot you take without safety gear such as ear muffs or suppressors.

Suppressor legalization is going to happen, just not this year. It is happening in other states. We'll be back.

It should happen because:

1. It is a public safety issue. The use of firearms without safety equipment damages your hearing.

2. It is a respect for your fellow Hoosiers issue. Use of suppressors does not disturb your neighbors as much.

3. Allowing suppressors for hunting creates more demand for suppressors which will allow reform of the NFA, e.g. my proposal to move suppressors to Title I with federal preemption.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Now this is my opinion here...But why? Why do you need to hunt with a silencer?

when I co coyote hunting at 2AM I get calls from neighbors upset because my shot woke them up and they think its against the law to hunt after dark.
    With a suppressor, I can hunt without bothering anyone.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    243 would not legalize poaching, only legalize the use of suppressors for taking of game.

Yes, your .22 is deafening, as is your deer gun. You are destroying your hearing with every shot you take without safety gear such as ear muffs or suppressors.

Suppressor legalization is going to happen, just not this year. It is happening in other states. We'll be back.

1. It is a public safety issue. The use of firearms without safety equipment damages your hearing.

2. It is a respect for your fellow Hoosiers issue. Use of suppressors does not disturb your neighbors as much.

3. Allowing suppressors for hunting creates more demand for suppressors which will allow reform of the NFA, e.g. my proposal to move suppressors to Title I with federal preemption.

I read through the thread but can't remember who brought up deer and turkey. I can't believe nobody pointed it out yet but I believe that deer and turkey were the game that would still not allow suppressors if the bill had passed. But yes, I agree with your points 1-3 and I've also been watching other similar bills in other states. I believe Texas is joining the list that allow suppressors while hunting and Arizona is going through the process right now (passed the House).

when I co coyote hunting at 2AM I get calls from neighbors upset because my shot woke them up and they think its against the law to hunt after dark.

We usually get some guys hunting coon and coyote across the field from the house. There have been some neighbors that have asked me about them shooting at night because they didn't think it was legal to hunt after dark. I rarely hear any shots, probably from hunting and shooting (in my early days of shooting) without any hearing protection but a few have complained even after I filled them in on hunting after dark. We've got some pretty good LEO that told them they called the wrong department to complain because they're hunting outside of city limits (we're just barely in the line) and even the county would just tell them the guys weren't doing anything wrong.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.

ALLRIGHT :noway: YOU BUDDY HAVE CROSSED A LINE..NOT ONCE DID I SAY I WAS AGAINST IT. I ASKED A SIMPLE QUESTION, NOW I AM A TERRORIST IN YOUR EYES.. HOW DARE YOU SAY I AM AGAINST FREEDOM AND LIBERTY.
    I CAN TELL ALLREADY YOUR EDUCATED, SO ARE YOU EDUCATED ENOUGH TO TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF A :boxing: YOU DON'T GET MY VOTE FOR THE "WIN ONE FOR THE GIPPER" OF THE MONTH QUOTE.

AND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU, IN THE COUNTRY WHERE MOST OF YOU ONLY GO FOR "RANGE TRIPS" OR "BACKPACKING" CAUSE THERE AINT WIFI THERE..
    IF YOU CAN HUNT WITH A CAN, AT 2 IN THE MORNING BY THE MOON YOU SEE A 170-180 CLASS BUCK CROSSING ROAD, AND THERE ARE HOUSES CLOSE BY...THERE GONNA SHOOT IT......NOW IF THE CAN WAS OUT OF THE PICTURE AN THOSE HOUSES ARE THERE, THEY MIGHT THINK TWICE..
    BUT WHATEVER YOU GUYS THINK, APPERNENTLY YOU GUYS KNOW EVERYTHING, I'M A TERRORIST BECAUSE I ASKED A QUESTION, YA'LL KEEP READING INTO GOVERMENT TAKEOVERS, *****IN ABOUT NOT GETTIN YOUR WAY, AND BADMOUTHING FELLOW GUN ENTHUSIAST BECAUSE HE HAD A QUESTION, AND ALL THE ANSWERS HAVE BEEN ATTACKS OR SARCASTIC..

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.

I Understand, but I don't have any neighbors.... I could see where that would help ya out...
    Fellas I walk out my back door and shoot, as much as I want whatever I want up to 1,000 yards... all day and night!!

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.

Didn't say legalize it did I now dumbass, have you guys ever been out of the city at night durning deer season, or in the round about time frame? Besides your "deer camps" that you overpay for?

That .22 wasn't deafining until you wanted it to be.....
    LIKE I SAID BEFORE I ASKED A QUESTION< AND WOULD HAVE BEEN FIE WITH SOME SERIOUS ANSWERS.....MY PEOPLE USING SMARTASS ANSWERS AND CALLING ME OUT AS A TERRORIST...AND MAKING UP REASONS....I GIVE A DAMN EITHER WAY...OPEN YOUR EYES FOLKS...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    ALLRIGHT :noway: YOU BUDDY HAVE CROSSED A LINE..NOT ONCE DID I SAY I WAS AGAINST IT. I ASKED A SIMPLE QUESTION, NOW I AM A TERRORIST IN YOUR EYES.. HOW DARE YOU SAY I AM AGAINST FREEDOM AND LIBERTY.
    I CAN TELL ALLREADY YOUR EDUCATED, SO ARE YOU EDUCATED ENOUGH TO TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF A :boxing: YOU DON'T GET MY VOTE FOR THE "WIN ONE FOR THE GIPPER" OF THE MONTH QUOTE.

AND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU, IN THE COUNTRY WHERE MOST OF YOU ONLY GO FOR "RANGE TRIPS" OR "BACKPACKING" CAUSE THERE AINT WIFI THERE..
    IF YOU CAN HUNT WITH A CAN, AT 2 IN THE MORNING BY THE MOON YOU SEE A 170-180 CLASS BUCK CROSSING ROAD, AND THERE ARE HOUSES CLOSE BY...THERE GONNA SHOOT IT......NOW IF THE CAN WAS OUT OF THE PICTURE AN THOSE HOUSES ARE THERE, THEY MIGHT THINK TWICE..
    BUT WHATEVER YOU GUYS THINK, APPERNENTLY YOU GUYS KNOW EVERYTHING, I'M A TERRORIST BECAUSE I ASKED A QUESTION, YA'LL KEEP READING INTO GOVERMENT TAKEOVERS, *****IN ABOUT NOT GETTIN YOUR WAY, AND BADMOUTHING FELLOW GUN ENTHUSIAST BECAUSE HE HAD A QUESTION, AND ALL THE ANSWERS HAVE BEEN ATTACKS OR SARCASTIC..

Wow, you certainly take critism well, don't you.

He never said you were a terrorist, just that you are a little bit misinformed.

Also, your arguement about poachers is misplaced and your knowledge of suppressors is severly lacking. The act of poaching is illegal, regardless of the tools to do the job.

Your "question", while valid for the uninformed, shows a lack of reasonable freedom thinking. The question should not be, why, but, why not.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    Wow, you certainly take critism well, don't you.

He never said you were a terrorist, just that you are a little bit misinformed.

Also, your arguement about poachers is misplaced and your knowledge of suppressors is severly lacking. The act of poaching is illegal, regardless of the tools to do the job.

Your "question", while valid for the uninformed, shows a lack of reasonable freedom thinking. The question should not be, why, but, why not.

NO YOU GUYS DON'T GET IT POACHING WILL RISE 10 FOLD ....
    AND LAST TIME I CHECKED SOMWEONE AGAINST FREEDOM AND LIBERTY IS A TERRORIST!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    NO YOU GUYS DON'T GET IT POACHING WILL RISE 10 FOLD ....
    AND LAST TIME I CHECKED SOMWEONE AGAINST FREEDOM AND LIBERTY IS A TERRORIST!

Please show facts, or examples, to support your arguement that poaching will increase. I suggest start with states that already allow the use of suppressors for hunting and compare those to states that don't.

As for your second sentenace, well, apparently you don't know what the definition of the word terrorist is either.

Let me clearly spell out what WE are calling you, M I S I N F O R M E D.

Also, infringing on others ability to use legal items to take game legally, just because other folks might abuse or misuse those items, is not what a freedom thinking person thinks. I equate that thinking with blamming the gun and not the user for crimes, which is by default, a lack of critical thinking.

Top Bottom