• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    Can I build my own suppressor and get a legal tax stamp for it? I can build what I want but I don’t want to go to jail for doing it. I called my cousin the FBI agent and he referred me to a ATF agent, so I called the ATF agent and he referred me to a web page full of legal BS I couldn't make heads or tails out of. To complicate matters more my design is a two piece system that can work on a 22LR using the first piece and a .223 using both pieces. I need to know if both pieces would need a tax stamp as only one attaches to the firearm.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    no you don't but you must get a form 1 tax stamp before you proced. the atf considers any part for a suppressor a suppressor so if you can not use both parts in the tube at the same time the other part would need a tax stamp as well. hope that makes since.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can I build my own suppressor and get a legal tax stamp for it? I can build what I want but I don’t want to go to jail for doing it. I called my cousin the FBI agent and he referred me to a ATF agent, so I called the ATF agent and he referred me to a web page full of legal BS I couldn't make heads or tails out of. To complicate matters more my design is a two piece system that can work on a 22LR using the first piece and a .223 using both pieces. I need to know if both pieces would need a tax stamp as only one attaches to the firearm.

You'd better have some pretty extensive machining expertence before you try any such endevour.
    A VERY slight mis-alignment can cause you to have a VERY bad day.

JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    You'd better have some pretty extensive machining expertence before you try any such endevour.

I don't have extensive machining experience, but it's a hobby I'm pretty good at, and I am very aware of the dangers if it's done wrong.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's actually not that hard. I'm far from having "pretty extensive machining experience" and I was even less experienced than I am now when I made my F1 30 caliber suppressor.

Just be sure you single-point cut your threads and they are cut concentric to the bore and you'll be ok. If you're not confident in your ability to cut concentric threads then make your bore slightly larger (that will sacrifice some suppression). The bore on my can is progressive. The blast baffle is .330" and the end cap is .380". So any small mis-alignment, be in in the suppressor or a poor threading job on the rifle, or a slightly unstable bullet, shouldn't case many problems. This does sacrifice a little suppression, but it isn't very noticeable. If were to make another, I know of better ways to make it than I made this one, and I could keep tolerances tighter and therefore make a tighter bore to maximize suppression.

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    It's actually not that hard. I'm far from having "pretty extensive machining experience" and I was even less experienced than I am now when I made my F1 30 caliber suppressor.

Just be sure you single-point cut your threads and they are cut concentric to the bore and you'll be ok. If you're not confident in your ability to cut concentric threads then make your bore slightly larger (that will sacrifice some suppression). The bore on my can is progressive. The blast baffle is .330" and the end cap is .380". So any small mis-alignment, be in in the suppressor or a poor threading job on the rifle, or a slightly unstable bullet, shouldn't case many problems. This does sacrifice a little suppression, but it isn't very noticeable. If were to make another, I know of better ways to make it than I made this one, and I could keep tolerances tighter and therefore make a tighter bore to maximize suppression.
    what he said

JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    I was kicking around the idea of making the bore large enough to accommodate a 40sw and have screw on end caps for the smaller calibers. I’m sure it wouldn't be as effective as a properly sized hole but it should do a pretty good job of quieting things down. I was researching several different brands of tubes, and one of them actually recommended buying the 9mm version stating it would work just as good on a 22 as one built for a 22. Have any of you guys tried this?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    what he said

Excellent contribution to the community!....

As the rest said, totally legal on a form 1. There are a variety of resources on constructing your own suppressor via google. Depending on your skill level, there are benefits and negatives of both. I'm guessing the underlying reason is a DIY mentality, which I can appreciate!! Good luck!

JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    Excellent contribution to the community!....

As the rest said, totally legal on a form 1. There are a variety of resources on constructing your own suppressor via google. Depending on your skill level, there are benefits and negatives of both. I'm guessing the underlying reason is a DIY mentality, which I can appreciate!! Good luck!

I enjoy working with the lathe and tig welding, I think anybody who enjoys reloading would enjoy being a hobby machinists.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I was kicking around the idea of making the bore large enough to accommodate a 40sw and have screw on end caps for the smaller calibers.

I've been told (take with a grain of salt) that having "extra suppressor parts" lying around can be considered possessing an unlicensed NFA item. I'm not sure that's legal, and I may be way off base, but I'd verify that before I did it. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can chime in.

JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    I've been told (take with a grain of salt) that having "extra suppressor parts" lying around can be considered possessing an unlicensed NFA item. I'm not sure that's legal, and I may be way off base, but I'd verify that before I did it. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can chime in.
    I talked with two different ATF guys about this and one said "as long as the numbers match the original piece (tube) it's ok to have multiple parts", but he didn’t sound like he understood what I was talking about. The second guy just said “absolutely not” and didn’t want to elaborate any further. I'm really starting to dislike these guys.

JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend

I watched a few of Huntertown Arms videos and half of their can doesn't have serial numbers on it and they have replaceable ends and baffles so I think that kinda counts as extra parts.

Last edited:

JeepinGunGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    South Bend
    Where are the Huntertown Arms guys at? If I didn't get my material for free I don't think I could make a can for what they sell them for. I'm actually looking at buying one of their cans to play with and give me something to work towards, very quality stuff. Don't get me wrong I do not want to try and copy their stuff, I have a plan and when I’m done they might want to buy it from me.

Top Bottom