• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I'm still planning how I want to do my first suppressor setup.

I can't find a barrel for my XD9SC because no one will make one.
    I have a Springfield P9 (EAA witness clone) and I can find threaded barrels for this.
    I own a Beretta bobcat 21a which the barrel tip extends and can be threaded. Just like the 92FS.

Question I have is how do you make sure the threading is the right diameter? I know they have the threading sizes to spec but some barrels are 1/4" some 3/8" etc. How do you buy the right suppressor to fit on the size of threading?

do all .22 suppressor have a small enough diameter for threading to fit on all .22 barrels?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Most .22 and 9mm cans are threaded 1/2 x 28. You can find 9mm cans with different thread pitches (1/2x36 and some metric patterns are very common) but I think that with a .22 can anything other than the afore mentioned thread pattern would have to be supplied on a custom basis. I would advise you to send your barrel out to a competent machinist who has experience threading barrels for suppressors ( I can give you the info of the guy who does all mine). The most important thing to consider is the thread alignment being concentric to the bore. If it is off even a little, you'll have baffle strikes. In other words, bad juju. I would almost go as far as to say that every current production .22 barrel is thick enough to accept 1/2 x 28 threads.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    On a separate thought, if you're doing a .22 setup, the 21A is reportedly very difficult to suppress. Not that it isn't effective on the sound, but rather the size of the suppressor in relation to the size of the firearm is very large and unweildy. I have seen multiple reports of guys spending great time and $$ getting threaded barrels made, or a thread adapter, only to find that this setup is not very practical. There is a reason that the most popular pistol to suppress (with a muzzle can) is the P22. It's a great size and adding a thread adapter takes about 30 seconds with no gunsmithing. I'm not saying you should go that route, but it would be something to look at. I have one that I use with an Outback II and it is a sweet little shooter.

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    On a separate thought, if you're doing a .22 setup, the 21A is reportedly very difficult to suppress. Not that it isn't effective on the sound, but rather the size of the suppressor in relation to the size of the firearm is very large and unweildy. I have seen multiple reports of guys spending great time and $$ getting threaded barrels made, or a thread adapter, only to find that this setup is not very practical. There is a reason that the most popular pistol to suppress (with a muzzle can) is the P22. It's a great size and adding a thread adapter takes about 30 seconds with no gunsmithing. I'm not saying you should go that route, but it would be something to look at. I have one that I use with an Outback II and it is a sweet little shooter.

With subsonic ammo do you hear much with the suppressor on? IE: near silent withthe sound of the gun mechanics? or is there still a good pop?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    with subsonics especially, there is very little noise other than that of the action. Where in the state are you located? If you are close to central Indiana, you can come test-drive my .22 cans to get some kind of idea if you like.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    What suppressor would you recomend and who should I buy from? I kinda had a Gemtech outback II picked out... But I'm open to learn.. It would be going on a .22 Savage MKII primarily.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The Outback is a great suppressor made by a good company that stands behind their products, buy with confidence.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The Outback II is one of the best cans out there. I don't regret buying mine for a second and I have shot lots of others. I bought another .22 can only because it needed to stand up to full auto fire and the Outback can't do that. If I were you, I'd ask Bryce over at Premier arms to quote you a price on an Outback. Last I talked to him he wasn't a stocking Gemtech dealer, but he could order you what you want. If that doesn't work out I could recommend you other dealers but they are quite a ways away. Going price for an Outback is right around $300. More than that and you should pass.:twocents:

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Again, if you want to try before you buy, let me know. I don't have a bolt rifle to put it on but we can shoot it on my P22, 16" AR and 5.25" AR.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Good deal, Bryce is who I have been talking to.. comfortable place to shop..
    I appreciate your offer, might get me off the fence.. I cant decide what comes first, a GSG-5 or the can...

thanks,,

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Good deal, Bryce is who I have been talking to.. comfortable place to shop..
    I appreciate your offer, might get me off the fence.. I cant decide what comes first, a GSG-5 or the can...

thanks,,
    Gemtech is making a can specifically for the GSG-5...

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Gemtech is making a can specifically for the GSG-5...

Great..:rolleyesedit: So do I adapt the Outback to the GSG-5 or the other way around? .. I'm prolly screwed either way...:D One thing at a time I guess///

Top Bottom