• ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    INGO, I have a problem....

I was showing some buddies some of my toys earlier today and I pulled out my Thompson Machine Zephyr XL supressor to show them and BAM! its covered in rust:xmad:

I have been keeping it in a plastic tube in my gun safe that has a dehumidifier in it.

I usually keep a coat of oil on it when I store it but I must have forgotten:dunno:

I have not had a chance to pull everything out of the safe to see if they are rusting, but the few I pulled out did not.

So INGO, my question is. What is the best way to remove rust from this. TM states on their site that the tube is 4130 Aircraft Steel.

Also, If I need to, what is the best way to get this refinished? What are the regulations on sending just the tube of a suppressor off? (removing the baffles first).

Would TM refinish?

Could I do this myself with an at home finish kit? I know that the serial number would still need to be legible and all.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    It's a parkerized finish on the tube. I have one and the first thing I did was gunkote it inside and out. It won't fill in the lettering as it's only a few tenths thick. Now it's good to go and I don't have any issues with it.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Couple ways to rub down with oil that might get most of the surface rust off. As always use at your own risk and start in an area that shows the least.

- G96 oil recommends a US Nickel and rub covered with oil, however, best on smooth blue surface and raised rust.
    - On smooth surface one can slice off the rust with a new razor blade and oil, taking a new blade for each pass (any burrs scratch so has to be new blade use for one pass only). Again this is not for your rough surface.
    - Can try 0000 Steel, Bronze or Brass wool with oil. The Brass will leave brass smears and the steel may / will remove the parkerizing so go easy.
    - Of course having the tube re-finished is a good option.

Once you get the rust off, one short term option is a little of Brownell's T-4 cold black to cover any "bare spots" as an "ok" match to some parkerizing.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    INGO, I have a problem....

I was showing some buddies some of my toys earlier today and I pulled out my Thompson Machine Zephyr XL supressor to show them and BAM! its covered in rust:xmad:

I have been keeping it in a plastic tube in my gun safe that has a dehumidifier in it.

I usually keep a coat of oil on it when I store it but I must have forgotten:dunno:

I have not had a chance to pull everything out of the safe to see if they are rusting, but the few I pulled out did not.

So INGO, my question is. What is the best way to remove rust from this. TM states on their site that the tube is 4130 Aircraft Steel.

Also, If I need to, what is the best way to get this refinished? What are the regulations on sending just the tube of a suppressor off? (removing the baffles first).

Would TM refinish?

Could I do this myself with an at home finish kit? I know that the serial number would still need to be legible and all.

We have had one other TM can do this. The owner sandblasted the can and used brownells teflon moly finish on it and he never had a problem with it again. I am not a fan of the parkerized only finishes, they really have to be kept oiled up. I am sorry to hear about the rust, hopefully you caught it soon.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    alright, I got some of the rust off with steel wool, but I resorted to some wet/dry 600grit sandpaper since I figure a refinish is in the near future. looks like I got about 98% of the rust off right now. Now my issue seems to be that the entire thing is ceased up. I cannot get the baffle to move at all or the end cap. What can be done here?

What are the cons of leaving it as a non-take apart can? Other than harder to clean?

Also I know there are some links on how people have cleaned there one piece cans on here but I cannot find them. Anyone have the links? Thanks

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    We have had one other TM can do this. The owner sandblasted the can and used brownells teflon moly finish on it and he never had a problem with it again. I am not a fan of the parkerized only finishes, they really have to be kept oiled up. I am sorry to hear about the rust, hopefully you caught it soon.

I don't mind park on military guns but it is a finish that is meant to hold oil. Not a good finish for a can that is going to get really hot and smoke and all of the oil will burn off.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Soak it overnight in WD-40 then drain and blow out the excess and clean off the rust .

Once you have it cleaned spray it with degreaser , let it dry and finish it however you will .

Once you've put a finish coat of whatever on it and it has cured , soak it one more time overnight in WD-40 .

Drain it , blow out the excess and store it till you use it again .

Top Bottom