• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I dont think I've seen a can with stamped internal baffles, at least none that are removable. I also believe that any can with removable baffles would be machined, because I've NEVER seen DOM or welded tubing with an inside or outside diameter true enough to just throw a baffle stack in. Throw in machine time and labor costs, and they aren't making a fortune on them that's for sure.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I imagine there is a significant expense in non-production payroll. R&D is probably pretty expensive. After all, someone has to pay the ammo bill to torture test these things. I'll bet they employ armies of compliance personnel. They probably have high inventory expense from waiting on Form 3's. Places like SilencerCo spend a fair amount on lobbying efforts as well. Oh, and then there's the insurance. Can't imagine what that would cost for a suppressor mfg.

As with many industries, and maybe more than the average industry, business expenses figure into cost at least as much as production expenses.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    My sparrow is monocore and not a stack so not sure what can your talking about. Also I paid 400 for mine and don't feel its that over priced for what it is. just my .02

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have the unfortunate experience of knowing roughly how much things cost to make based on how they are made. I know why castings are cast instead of forged, why machined from bar stock is rarely used, and why stamping is preferred for every military weapon.

I've never really been interested in a suppressor until I recently acquired my CZ with a threaded barrel. So I go looking.

I see the Silencerco Sparrow is a popular .22 can, so I figured I'd look into that. $500!! They. are. on. drugs.

Baffles are stamped, the cheapest forming process of all. Then brazed or welded together. Then placed inside the can that is made (almost certainly) from DOM tubing already at net shape internally and externally. That tubing is cut to length, threaded for the end caps, and then the caps are machined (which SHOULD be the most expensive part).

I'm seeing MAYBE $100 actual cost in the can, giving a market price of $250 or so.

Somebody, please explain to this simple-minded OP why the can't are so expensive if it isn't just "people are willing to pay it."

I am personally NOT willing to pay $550 on top of the absurd $200 "tax" to exercise my right to wear hearing protection.

Go get'em tiger! Sounds like you have found a market opportunity. You can poach them at 350 and still make a killing!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Totally understand the rant, however the R&D that goes into commercial cans helps make them a better end product than my form 1 cans. I'm quite happy with my F1 cans, however I have no regrets paying what I did for the commercial cans either. They are lighter, offer more mounting options (it's better not to add what you spend in mounts and accessories....), And generally come with a hell of a warranty. For what is basically a lifetime purchase, warranty is a big deal.
    Do build a form 1 can, it's a lot of fun!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have the unfortunate experience of knowing roughly how much things cost to make based on how they are made. I know why castings are cast instead of forged, why machined from bar stock is rarely used, and why stamping is preferred for every military weapon.

I've never really been interested in a suppressor until I recently acquired my CZ with a threaded barrel. So I go looking.

I see the Silencerco Sparrow is a popular .22 can, so I figured I'd look into that. $500!! They. are. on. drugs.

Baffles are stamped, the cheapest forming process of all. Then brazed or welded together. Then placed inside the can that is made (almost certainly) from DOM tubing already at net shape internally and externally. That tubing is cut to length, threaded for the end caps, and then the caps are machined (which SHOULD be the most expensive part).

I'm seeing MAYBE $100 actual cost in the can, giving a market price of $250 or so.

Somebody, please explain to this simple-minded OP why the can't are so expensive if it isn't just "people are willing to pay it."

I am personally NOT willing to pay $550 on top of the absurd $200 "tax" to exercise my right to wear hearing protection.

I have both form 1 and commercial cans. Each serve their own purpose. I think the OP is way off in thinking that the cost doesn't suit the product. Basic economics state that people will pay what the market will bear. If the public perceives that can is worth $500 plus the stamp than they will buy it. If not than they won't. You state you won't pay $550 for a can plus the stamp. Well good for you! You are exercising a different kind of right that is called capitalism. No one is forcing you to purchase it. I'll spend my money and enjoy my purchases, as will others who shoot with me. A part of life is perception. What you perceive to be a value and what isn't adds, or subtracts, from your quality of life.
    Dan

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have both form 1 and commercial cans. Each serve their own purpose. I think the OP is way off in thinking that the cost doesn't suit the product. Basic economics state that people will pay what the market will bear. If the public perceives that can is worth $500 plus the stamp than they will buy it. If not than they won't. You state you won't pay $550 for a can plus the stamp. Well good for you! You are exercising a different kind of right that is called capitalism. No one is forcing you to purchase it. I'll spend my money and enjoy my purchases, as will others who shoot with me. A part of life is perception. What you perceive to be a value and what isn't adds, or subtracts, from your quality of life.
    Dan
    Yep.
    Ya'll fish your poles and I'll fish mine.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I would REALLY like to Form 1 a suppressor or 2.

I just don't know how I'd go about it - considering the real help I'd have is almost 2 hours away.

Just go on Amazon. They have everything you need.

It really did shock me as soon as you start to search the site and everything pops up that you would need including the preformed freeze plugs...Just drill them out and you got a can for $86.83, they even come packaged together at the bottom of the page!

Oh and by the way just to set the record straight. I do not, have not, and will not own or build a suppressor. Now this statement will be false if the Hearing Protection bill goes through. Currently I will NOT pay $200.00 for a stamp and deal with the feds for a new toy (that's just me, not passing judgement on others decisions). I also have enough stress in my life that I will NOT build one at home because the risk FAR outweighs the benefits.

https://www.amazon.com/Crush-Proof-...&qid=1491993980&sr=8-13&keywords=Solvent+trap

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Oh and by the way just to set the record straight. I do not, have not, and will not own or build a suppressor. Now this statement will be false if the Hearing Protection bill goes through.

:facepalm:

You have to go through so much BS in life in regards for buying a home, getting a car, getting a loan, just general living it's not even funny. But won't own a can unless a tax is removed and "deal with the feds". EVERYTHING seems to be fed involved in some way.

Sign your name in 3 places, get fingerprinted and bring passport photos, that's all that is required. The dealer does 95% of the work now for you

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    They are expensive because unlike the one you make yourself, they have engineers and scientists on their payroll to optimize the weight, suppression, and the cost. If you are just looking for a low cost suppressor, there are companies that make 22 cal cans that cost as low as $100. The difference isn't huge, but if your one of the major manufactures they have to strive to be the best, and that costs more.

As a side note, I own a Sparrow. Its composed of 5 pieces, the end cap, tube, 2 shims, and a solid billet baffle stack. It comes apart easily for cleaning, its quite, its short, and I think its worth $500.

Do I want to eventually form 1 one that I make myself, yes, but it probably won't compare to the quality of this.

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    And as a quick side note, the people who complain about how hard a sparrow is to disassemble need to actually try one. unscrew the threaded end, pop it a few times with your hand, and its apart. I will say its not as easy to put back together as the new Specters but its an inch shorter and just as silent. There is a reason its the number one rimfire suppressor on the market.

Top Bottom