• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have been looking into getting a suppressor for a bit now. But i have a question as to how you can use them. I have a Marlin 795 that would really be ideal (in my mind and for me) to suppress. I know i have to go through all the paperwork and waiting and blah blah blah. But my real question is if i get a suppressor rated for my AR-15 that i have can i use it on either rifle legally? I guess im curious if the gov. looks at the suppressor as its own piece of hardware or is it tied to one gun and one gun only?:dunno:

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I believe that they look at the suppressor by itself. You purchase the can separate from the weapon and your stamp is only for that suppressor.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's the suppressor that the gov't is concerned about.
    You can use it on any legal gun you want to (not tied to any specific firearm).

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I switch mine from my Marlin 795 (which it IS perfect for) to my GSG1911, to my .22LR conversion slide on my P228 all the time. It'll be going on my CMMG .22LR upper as soon as I can get the damn flash suppressor of it (see other post). You might get the ..223/5.56 version though, so you can use it on both your standard AR-15 and the Marlin 795...

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Suppressors are their own entity. As with SBR, FA firearms, the lower receiver is the entity. The benefit of suppressors is changeability between firearms. Suppose you own six .223 rifles. You can thread the registered suppressor on any one of these six firearms without worry.

Register one can, and it's usable on any appropriate caliber firearms that you own.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    thanks a bunch guys...thats what i thought but i wanted to make sure. I will just get one that can handle the .223 rounds of my AR and it should work ok for my marlin 795 also then

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    You may also consider a 30 size suppressor. That way if you could run it on a 308 down to a 22. I'm doing this as I also have a 300 blackout barrel for my AR15.

Top Bottom