Suppressors across state lines, reciprocity?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    no such thing as "reciprocity" with silencers. you need to find out if they are legal at your destination (state, county, city levels). It's not like a carry permit.
    -rvb

edit. you do not have to submit a 5320.20 to ATF to get permission to transport a silencer interstate, but many folks do.
    -rvb

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Also be aware that if you travel through a jurisdiction that doesn't permit suppressors and it gets discovered, you may have trouble. Yes the "safe harbor" provision in federal law is supposed to protect you but too many places, like Illinois, NY, NJ for example, do what the want anyway. So be careful about traveling through places where suppressors are illegal.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    Which is why filling out the form anyway is not a bad idea. Having a form, with an approval on it when moving across state lines couldn't hurt anything, especially if within a state that is unfriendly towards them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As said above - it all depends on where you're going.

To my family in northern Illinois? I can't take it - but I can take every single other firearm that I own. And sometimes do take some if the trip will include range time.

To my family in Illinois? I can take it if I want - but those trips rarely ever include any range time.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Pay $30 and get your C&R FFL. No need to fill out a 5320.20 or worry if the state you're going to is NFA friendly or not.

I've not heard this before. link or citation? Does it really get you around state/local laws?

[steps away to research...]
    The NFA handbook 13.8 states the part about transporting w/o permission is true IF the firearm is a C&R firearm. But the handbook isn't gospel...

Section 13.8. Requesting permission to transport certain firearms in interstate or foreigncommerce. A person, other than an FFL/SOT, may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreigncommerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, withoutprior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch.214 For definitions of these firearms anddevices, refer to 27 CFR 478.11. Licensed collectors are not required to obtain such approval if the firearms and devices being transported are “curio or relic” firearms under the GCA.

also section 2.3
    The primary impact of a curio or relic classification is that a properly registered NFA firearm classified as a curio or relic may be lawfully transferred interstate to, or received interstate by, a person licensed as a collector of curios or relics under the GCA.

thanks,
    -rvb

ps. notice silencers aren't in the list in section 13.8. Hence why above I said you don't "have" to get permission via a 5320.20. Just pointing it out so the thread drift doesn't confuse the answer to the original question.-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/doe...e-machine-gun-short-barreled-shotgun-or-short

Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

Top Bottom