Supreme Court: Police May Not Detain Armed Hoosiers to Check for Handgun License

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I prefer to use my "knife hand".

We know it is a killer in port, but did it work underwater for you?

Double knife hand?

mad-dog-mattis-knife-hands-mad-dog-mattis-knife-hands-is-amused.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My question is, does this in any way affect the "I need to check the serial number on your gun" officer?
    Or the one that feels it necessary to "hold on to that for office safey"?
    Such as the one Mark1911 ran into in the great anti-gun city of Hammond.

Ha! Funny, as I read this thread I can't help wondering, although I am very happy about the ruling, if the acid test would be to see how many stores in the City of Hammond one could open carry in before being stopped. Probably no worse than South Bend or Evansville.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have OC'd in many Hammond restaurants, big box stores and many other and the only place I have ever had the police called was Unique Thrift store.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As I remember I was quite amused at the irony of standing there talking to the cashier who talked politely to my wife and I while armored cops stood right next to me asking the assistant manager about a man with a gun. The assistant manager telling the cops as she stood right behind the cashier that she would have to ask the manager if he was still here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As I remember I was quite amused at the irony of standing there talking to the cashier who talked politely to my wife and I while armored cops stood right next to me asking the assistant manager about a man with a gun. The assistant manager telling the cops as she stood right behind the cashier that she would have to ask the manager if he was still here.

Well, since someone else probably called it in, and she knew you, she's probably looking for someone she didn't know.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Pennsylvania Supreme Court recently came to the same decision. Simply carrying a firearm is not in and of itself RAS for a police stop.

The ruling also explicitly reinforced the state's preemtion law and the fact that municipalities in the Commonwealth cannot make their own firearms regulations. This may have an effect in the lawsuit against the City of Pittsburgh. The city council there passed its own assault weapons ban early this year which goes blatantly against PA preemption laws.

This video sums up the ruling. It's worth watching just to hear the language the court used in the ruling to not only reaffirm the Constitution, but highlight the importance of individual liberty. The court used some very strong language to that effect.

[video=youtube_share;oZx3D01cD5E]http://youtu.be/oZx3D01cD5E[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's one thing, when a city council makes a law against State law, and doesn't realize it.
    The fact that they did it, even after being informed of it, should be arresting some people.
    But of course, there is no penalty listed for that, so you can't.
    But there should be some punishment for ignoring the law.

If you speed, you pay a fine.
    If you kill someone, you go to jail.
    But violate a courts ruling and deprive citizens of their rights... no problem.

Top Bottom