• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I got a new Surefire G2X since I needed to buy a bulb for a G2 anyway (slowly switching to all LED). I am disappointed it does not fit in the VLTOR mount for the standard G2. Anyone know if there is another VLTOR mount that will hold this light?

Quite disappointed that Surefire would call it a G2[something] if it wasn't the same diameter as a G2... shame shame on them.

Thanks,
    -rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll bet the Viking Tactics VTAC mount will work. Not expensive, light, strong, and it won't let go of the light until you want it to do so.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I agree with rhino, those VTAC mounts are hard to beat for the money. I've got them on several of my AR's and have never had a problem with one. I've also got a VLTOR mount and it does not seem as forgiving (size wise) as the VTAC. Would like to know how your X compares with your standard G2's.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I prefer something that doesn't need tools to put on/off; prefer thumbscrews or quick lock...

-rvb

Ah, there's the rub.

Well, contact VLTOR and tell them. I'll bet they'll make one for you. If not, Larue or Yankee Hill or someone else will. Those lights are going to be very, very popular and it's in their interest to accommodate them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    just an update....
    put my google-fu to work and found this discussed elsewhere on the net.
    seems the vltor offset mounts work with the G2X/6PX, but not the non-offset 'scout' mounts which is what I have. And VLTOR has announced they are making a scout mount for the 'X' series. So that works out ok... I put an LED head on an old G2 for an application where I need the scount mount, and I'll be ordering a couple of offset mounts for some other applications where I will use the 'X's.

Seems some folks are worried about recoil damage on the X lights because they don't have a spring in front of the batteries, but I'm gonna run one for a bit and see how it holds up.... I figure .223 and 9mm can't be too hard on 'em?

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is the 9mm your pistola or a carbine? If it's an AR, recoil is definitely more than for a 5.56 since they're not gas operated.

I don't think recoil will be a problem either way. The biggest issue was breaking incandescent lamps with the recoil, but that's a moot issue now. I've put thousand of 5.56 and .223 rounds down range with mounted LED lights without any kind of "shock isolated bezel" without any issues.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    just an update....
    put my google-fu to work and found this discussed elsewhere on the net.
    seems the vltor offset mounts work with the G2X/6PX, but not the non-offset 'scout' mounts which is what I have. And VLTOR has announced they are making a scout mount for the 'X' series. So that works out ok... I put an LED head on an old G2 for an application where I need the scount mount, and I'll be ordering a couple of offset mounts for some other applications where I will use the 'X's.

Seems some folks are worried about recoil damage on the X lights because they don't have a spring in front of the batteries, but I'm gonna run one for a bit and see how it holds up.... I figure .223 and 9mm can't be too hard on 'em?

-rvb

FWIW, we asked this of a Surfire rep a couple of weekes ago when I was in AZ, he assured us it wouldn't be a problem. I don't have any reason to doubt him, but of course I never trust a salesman:rolleyes:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Thread Revival here....

I just purchased a G2X to use on my AR 15. I also purchased the VTAC light mount.

I received the mount and have it installed. I will not be receiving the G2X light until next week.

I will report back as soon as the light gets here.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Received my Surefire G2X Tactical today.

I purchased the Viking Tactics Light Mount (Viking Tactics, Inc.) and placed it on my S&W M&P15 MOE using a MOE rail kit (POLYMER RAIL SECTIONS - MOE® Polymer Rail Section, 9 Slots) .

Just figured I would post some pictures to confirm that the new G2Xs do fit in the VTAC light mount. I have it mounted far enough forward so that the light can be activated with my left thumb when using a “traditional” hold on the VFG.

img0919w.jpg

img0912n.jpg

Top Bottom