• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Going to pick up a x300 or TLR-1 for a railed 1911. Not really concerned with price I just hear some people like the switch on the TLR-1 better but obviously Surefire is of probably better quality. Opinions?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I much prefer Surefire products and have seen fewer issues with Surefire over the years than any other brand including Streamlight. Streamlight has been very easy to work with when we have had issues though.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    X300, without a doubt. After my third TLR1 going down, I made the switch to an X300 and haven't looked back since. And as far as the switch to the goes, Surefire gets my vote there too. Especially the DG one.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    As far as lighting goes I think they are a wash in terms of what you need on a pistol.
    Advantage TLR series: easier to put in and off the rail. The x300 is quite tight (which, I guess is an advantage if you never wanna take it off)
    Advantage x300: much better momentary switch control. I like being able to just push the switch forward

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never used a Surefire X300, but I tried to break a TLR-1 after reading about a variety of failures. I think if you get a "good" TLR-1 it will serve you well indefinitely. I will acknowledge that it's less likely to get a troublesome X300.

If you want a lot of light, the latest TLR-1 HL produces over 800 lumens.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I have the Surefire x200, x300 ultra, x400, and Streamlight TLR-HL at home - I'd advise purchasing the streamlight "HL" model. Fantastic light for the money, wide throw, and easy activation. I'm even a Surefire "snob" some might say and still believe that the TLR-HL is as good as the X300 Ultra for a fraction of the cost. Some of the downsides to the X-series include the "mushy" switch and the delicate battery door locking piece (I have broken two of the locking tabs that secure the battery door to the body).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    As far as lighting goes I think they are a wash in terms of what you need on a pistol.
    Advantage TLR series: easier to put in and off the rail. The x300 is quite tight (which, I guess is an advantage if you never wanna take it off)
    Advantage x300: much better momentary switch control. I like being able to just push the switch forward

The new version of the X300 is basically a copy of the Streamlight with how it attaches. I personally prefer the old style because there is no worry about the screw loosening and coming undone, however, it is a pain in the ass to put the old style ones on.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The new version of the X300 is basically a copy of the Streamlight with how it attaches. I personally prefer the old style because there is no worry about the screw loosening and coming undone, however, it is a pain in the ass to put the old style ones on.

Because of the older PITA mounting system of the X300, I really like my X300B. It's a lot easier to pop on and off.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    In my opinion you can't go wrong with either.. The Surefire lights are most certainly known for being super durable, and while I can't speak to the TLRs on that aspect I do like the output some of them have. I've had some time behind the 600ish and the 850 both... They are impressive if you want a lot of light that is for certain.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've ran both (X300 Ultra) on my duty gun. Never had any problems with either. I just prefer the controls of the surefire over the TRL-1.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Surefire, a weapon light is a very important tool and is not something I would recommend "cutting corners" on cost wise. I have a X300U and XC1 both have been fantastic lights for me.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Because of the older PITA mounting system of the X300, I really like my X300B. It's a lot easier to pop on and off.

I would like to try the B model some day, I picked up a X300 on here a few months back wouldn't fit my glock, my sig or my rifle without absolutely putting all my weight on the light to get it snapped in. I used both adapters the smaller of the 2 was way to small for anything including my glock and light rattled around because you couldn't get the tension screws on the sides to tighten any more. Poor design in my opinion (maybe I just got a bad one), However the B model looks like the way to go, I probably would have one already If I didn't prefer the switch on the TLR series more.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I prefer surefire. I used a x300u for a while and liked it. The only draw back for me for the x300u is that its about an inch longer then the trl-1. Thus everything has to be a bit longer.... ie my holsters.

But.... I eventually retired having a light on my pistol....since I usually have a handheld.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I like the switch on the TLR-1HL better and it's a smaller package. Other than that it's a wash. All the LEO that I know carry the Streamlight and have nothing bad to say about them. I think Surefire is over hyped.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I've had 2 X300's and 2 X300U's, and about 5 TLR-1/1s. I love the look and the tool-less removal of the Surefires, but only use Streamlights now. For me, it came down to an inability to reliably toggle the surefire's on. This may be my small or otherwise weak fingers, or it may be a tough switch, but in either case I could not hit the switch on with my trigger finger.

Likewise, I love the "push" forward option on the Surefires on a rifle, but on a pistol felt I was pushing my muzzle inconsistently when repeatedly actuating the light. That's less of an issue as I've focused more on moving my body with the light on and rounds staying on the target, but I still prefer the minimal pressure of the downward rocker on a TLR-1.

A coworker has an X300 with a MUCH easier switch to toggle. I don't know why, but if mine had offered that much less resistance I would probably have stayed with Surefire. Final thought is that I get a little less fouling on the TLR series than I used to on my SF's that protruded a little more (on glock 19's).

Top Bottom