• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Me and some friends are planning a 3 day survival camping trip in march taking only water and a few small items to practice and apply various survival techniques. We plan on setting snares to catch small game for food but we are wondering what the leqality is with catching squirrel or any small game out of season? We do have hunting licenses but if DNR came across our site and saw us eating squirrel would we end up getting a nasty fine?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm sure they would. Best bet for these kind of things is do it during the game season.

Think squirrel is still in until end of Jan.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Fishing is going to be included but I fish all the time that is why i was trying to focus on setting snares. Thank you for the info

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    In March, what are you hoping to catch in your snare that you'll feel ok about eating? If you are going to stick to the law during your campout, remember that rabbit, and squirrel are pretty tasty...but out of season. I guess you could look up what constitutes being a varmint and try trapping that. In weather above freezing I'd concentrate on fish, frogs, groundhogs, and the occasional fur bearing warm blooded mammal meat I could find.

What are you bringing to make fire with? Bluegill sushi gonna taste like butt.

Unlce Sam says, "If it's warm blooded, and fur bearing, it's fit to eat." Just cook the crap out of it...and bring a sharp knife.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Yea interesting, I have fished many tournaments in late March and ended up with an inch of snow on the deck. Fishing from the bank, with a line and hook is not gonna be easy, it still usually cold so it will be very hard to find grubs or insects for bait. Thats not the best time to try and catch fish either for they havnt moved up to the banks much from the cold weather. Small game would be easy enough but DNR will not allow out of season. So the 1st thing I would do is see what is in season?
    For the fishing part creek chubs are fairly easy to catch that time of year on a fly, probably not the best eating. I took a week long trip 1 time down the mighty mississinewa, and we lived on fish easy enough, its gets old. we carried a rod and a bow, and some matches. It was a neat trip, but it was April and will still froze. Haha

Top Bottom