• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have a question for you all, my buddy would like to purchase a shotgun. However his drivers licence is currently suspended. Does this mean he cannot purchase a firearm or is he still good to go as long as his background check is clear?

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I have a question for you all, my buddy would like to purchase a shotgun. However his drivers licence is currently suspended. Does this mean he cannot purchase a firearm or is he still good to go as long as his background check is clear?

Having a suspended license doesn't affect his ability to purchase a firearm...I just would suggest he not drive himself to purchase it.:D

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    he can get a state issued id card and will be good to go as long as suspension is not for a felony

can he not use his regular licence? ive never had my licence suspended but i didnt think they actually take possession of it, just that it comes up in the computer invalid?:dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As long as he's not driving the shotgun, he's good to go. Even suspended it's a valid form of ID.

Correct. A gun shop doesn't "run" the driver's license during a NICS check.

However, your friend just might have his priorities confused...

-J-

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    ok guys, just got off the phone with him, he says he doesnt have an actual licence but he has a paper one that they issued to him? can he use this ? or is there something else he can use for identification besides a licence?

this is why i love this site! you guys are always so fast to help out with every question ive asked. Thanks guys !

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Ummm, paper license? By any chance is it pink and long and narrow? (I don't know, I'm just asking. My job to worry about these things).

If this is what I think it is, have your buddy read the 4473 questions again, in particular question 12b.

http://www.thundertek.net/documents/4473.pdf

OR, is it a reinstatement letter?

i have no clue ( sorry i dont have all the details) i know it is suspended for traffic violations though.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    if he answers yes to the wrong questions on the 4473 IE:12b the call can not be made to see if he can own. So if he is suspended for something that he then has to answer yes to, he can not buy a gun.
    If he can answer no, he needs a govt issued photo ID to purchase. Some shops will not accept the ID card from IN, only a DL

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    O.K., gotcha. I hear "paper license" and I think "OWI" like Pavlov's dog. Been doing this stuff too long.

Have you friend get a ride to the BMV and take his reinstatement letter down to get a real DL and then go buy a gun.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had my license suspended one time bureaucratically; the form for an accident didn't find its way through the bureaucracy to where it needed to go, so when a cop checked me, it returned me as not having insurance. They didn't take my physical license from me, and a visit to the insurance agent and the BMV downtown fixed it. PITA, but I still had the thing and could've used it for ID.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If I am correct they issue a paper license then mail the real one, is that what he has? I'm not sure a dealer would take that, but it couldnt hurt to make a call and ask. The dealer will tell him exactly what they will accept. Some might take the paper, but I would assume most will ask him to wait till his permanent one comes in. They don't want him to waste his own time, or theirs.

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    Is his license suspended or he just have the paper one they now give out until your license comes in the mail (which is very annoying)? Those are suppose to be good as anything else.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im not sure but I would think that you can use other official IDs if you dont have the actual DL.
    A US passport for example.
    I guess the address on the passport would have to show that he is a IN resident in order to buy a gun.

Top Bottom