• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    I've loading 8x57 for my Gew 88 for awhile now, I'm getting right at 2,600fps with a 150gr keeping the CUP at or below 37,000 with 4007ssc, that's all well in good with this particular rifle, with it's .324 groove diameter and very minimal headspace. My Q is about sustained pressure from slow burning vs. a quick smack of a faster one for safety's sake. I've seen elsewhere, of guys to scared to load anything but reduced cast in their's, guys recommending faster cause it's safer than sustained...idk, it's such a minuscule amount of time. I could go with 3031, if it would, indeed, be safer...keep near my velocity and pressure range, and almost 20grs less, get more shots per Lb? What say y'all?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think its a great idea.

As long as your proposed load has been tested by professional ballisticians and is listed in a reloading manual.

You need eyes to read this forum and fingers to type your experiences for all of us.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    I think its a great idea.

As long as your proposed load has been tested by professional ballisticians and is listed in a reloading manual.

You need eyes to read this forum and fingers to type your experiences for all of us.
    Lol, I feel ya there. But, the question still stands, would 37,000 CUP with a slower powder be more dangerous than 37,000 with a faster one? I'd prefer to stay with the slower powders if there's no big safety advantage. It's got plenty of barrel to burn it lol

Top Bottom