• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    My grandma was a midwife back in the hills of Arkansas...my mothers and her family has told us many times she sewed people up with strong black thread greased up with lard and a sewing needle. Can't see way that would not work in a SHTF scenario...say your suture kits ran out.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    As a rule with any accident or health concern, seek professional help. The Urgent Care/After Hours Clinics/MedCheck's are less expensive than a visit to the ED, and usually faster. ($65 for the visit if uninsured at some and hours of 7am-11pm make it much easier to get in)

My dad is old school and growing up I've watched him sew his own hand back together on more than one occasion (you would think he'd learn). From being a parent, I've found that if there is no reasonable risk of infection that steri strips are very easy to close a wound once the seeping has stopped. Had one of the kids get bit by a dog a year ago and we took her to get checked out, the physician used steri strips just like I would have, but she benefited from a good antibiotic. We aren't in a SHTF scenario so it's time to get medical attention from professionals and then closely watch what they do and what they use and LEARN from them.

If it does come to such, know that timely and judicious use of soap and water can take care of nearly every pathogen.

Top Bottom