• ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Hey All,

I know the motorcycle season is wrapping up, but I'm looking to get a bike next year, and as I do with my firearms, I like to research the pants off of all major purchases. I have done some research on the two bikes listed above (both starter bikes, both 250cc, GZ is a carbureted cruiser that is no longer produced, TU is a FI upright with a new model just released this year).

I also know that the riders physique can factor into a bike's performance. (I feel like I'm filling out an internet dating page...) I'm male, 5'6", ~200 lbs. former athlete, broad shoulders, longer legs for my stature (and I like long walks along the shooting range). I have sat on the GZ and I know I fit on that well, but I have no experience with the TU.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two starter bikes (this is my first bike and I haven't ridden much in the past)? Any good review sites/videos? Basically, I'm looking for a personal account of what I would be getting into if I purchased either of these two bikes.

Take a look at the two links below if you would want to make a suggestion based purely on aesthetics.

GZ250 - https://www.google.com/search?q=suz...AHj8IHYBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

TU250X - https://www.google.com/search?q=suz...gHs14DQCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm a TU250X fan, but I'm a '70s Japanese bike fan. To me, a small bike makes more sense as a standard and a small cruiser looks goofy.

That being said, they are both reliable if well maintained. The TU has been out for a few years.

I ride a 1979 Yamaha XS400 that I restored.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    I like the retro look as well. I was originally drawn to the Triumph Bonneville, but I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a bike that I am very likely to drop at some point in my rookie season.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    In my opinion there is no reason to limit yourself to these two bikes. If you are in good shape get a larger bike if you want. I just started riding last year and started with a 1200 Harley FXR4 and have not had any issues. I believe a new rider course is a good idea. I took the Harley course but would have taken the ABATE class had there been one close. If you are physically fit and use head you should be able to ride just about anything. I strongly recommend the new rider course.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like the retro look as well. I was originally drawn to the Triumph Bonneville, but I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a bike that I am very likely to drop at some point in my rookie season.

I have told many a rookie rider this little piece of wisdom.

There are two types of riders on the road, those that have been down and those that are going down.

It is not a matter of IF it is WHEN you crash and how bad. I and you can bet pretty much all veteran riders have been down and will most likely be going down again. All we can do is keep our insurance up to date and wear QUALITY protective gear.

OP please invest in a QUALITY helmet and riding gear. It may cost you a bit more but there is a difference between Shoei, Arai and HJC when compared to cheap helmets like Gmax, AFX or Shark.

JoeRocket, Alpine Star and Spidi are all top notch riding apparel.

That being said I would honestly suggest getting a bigger CC bike. A 250 is nice for buzzing around town but when out on the highway you will find it under powered, light and squirrely. I hardly recommend anything under 650cc even for beginners. Trust me you will feel safer on a bigger bike, and you will be able to keep up with traffic on the highway. The Triumph Bonnie would honestly be a great bike you could start out with and even ride forever without feeling the need to upgrade soon after buying it. I have seen new riders buy small CC bikes only to find they want to upgrade very soon after but have all their money tied up in a bike they no longer have any interest in riding anymore because they are ready for a bigger bike.

Oh and my best piece of advice. Sign up for an ABATE rider course. It is well worth the money.

Top Bottom