• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    any svt 40 owners or shooters on ingo? what type of ammo do they like? any good non-corrosive ammo out there? I just bought my first svt 40 and can't wait to shoot it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    any svt 40 owners or shooters on ingo? what type of ammo do they like? any good non-corrosive ammo out there? I just bought my first svt 40 and can't wait to shoot it.

I just tried Googling with the 3 words svt-40 ammo forum.
    There's a bunch of people describing their experiences with different ammo.

Hope you like your SVT-40. :)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Another thing is adjusting the gas system.
    Use Google with the 4 words svt-40 adjust gas forum.
    You'll get various accounts of others experiences with setting the gas system.

Be sure everything is cleaned and oiled properly.
    I'd start with the least amount, and adjust up to where it just ejects and loads a new cartridge.

These rifles are old and you don't want to put any unneeded strain on components.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I shoot what ever non-corrosive ammo I can find. I don't shoot corrosive through it because they are expensive and hard to find ;)

That's my only requirement.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I had one 18 or 19 years ago, back when it was a $180 rifle, not a $2,000 one. I remember having a lot of trouble getting it to cycle reliably with the surplus ammo I was shooting. I can't remember the particular details of the ammo, other than it came in basically 2 flavors, both steel cased, one gray cased and one reddish cased. Hungarian or Romanian? I don't really recall. I was rather young and stupid and I traded that rifle off for a broken down Llama 1911 .45 (pretty stupid trade looking at pricing today).

I also had an 8mm Hakim that I similarly sold off. I regret letting those two rifles go.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I have 2, one a beater that looks like hell but shoots any surplus I put thur it, have never had any trouble with gas system. The second I bought in 1999 for 450 bucks and looks almost new, don't know if it's rare or not but 2 gunsmiths said it was matching number and if it was fired it was only a few shots, no I don't shoot this one.

Top Bottom