• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I purchased to bags of SWAB-EEZ Industrial Strength Cotton Swabs from Menards for $9.97 each.

I haven't tried them out yet but they look like they should do a good job for the price.

Each size is in its own zippered bag inside a large zippered bag.

I bought some cheap swabs from Amazon but they were junk.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I understand your reasoning for buying them but for 10 dollars for 325 essentially qtips till pass because I'm cheap. I would like to know how they hold up. Like if they unravel easily and how stiff are the sticks.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I used to use those wood swabbies a lot - my employer supplied them. I love them but they ain't cheap. The extra length is very useful sometimes and the wood stick makes a great tool for pressing the thumb safety plunger out of the way as you install it. And real gunsmiths like to chew on them.......put a drop of Hoppe's on one and put the stick between your teeth and suck the fumes straight up your nose. Ahhhhh.....cheap thrills.

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    I just bought the same thing for $4.99 at Menards in Warsaw. These seem very similar to ramrodz. Cleaning my Glock 22, they hold up pretty well (maybe slightly better than ramrodz) and don't leave a bunch of lint behind. I'm diggin' them for $4.99...ymmv

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I understand your reasoning for buying them but for 10 dollars for 325 essentially qtips till pass because I'm cheap. I would like to know how they hold up. Like if they unravel easily and how stiff are the sticks.

Wood sticks don't bend like the flimsy plastic of qtips
    Up to 20mm (larger than 3/4") sizes: much larger than Q-tips

Also consider that $10 is the regular price, and I purchased them for $5 on sale, it makes them much more appealing. IMHO, comparing them to Q-tips is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure they are both a fruit, but they aren't comparable.

As far as unraveling, I haven't used many of them but they seem a bit "tighter" than Qtips but they are still a spun/wound/woven cotton product and sharp burrs and vigorous scrubbing etc will loosen them up and pull fibers out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I going to bump this and say that I'm REALLY LIKING these!

I'm currently working on a lathe project; a big old Leblond that has decades of built-up crap on it. Swabbing oil passaged, nooks, and crannies is easy and I wish I had bought more than just 1 package when they were $5 (fyi they are on sale for $7.49 or something this week).

That being said, these are NOT your standard Q-tip. The outer surface is very tightly woven so that it do not easily fray and leave fibers. As a matter of fact, I think it may even have some sort of binder on it to prevent fraying; whatever it is it stands up to some pretty nasty solvents (MEK, Acetone, & mineral spirits). Keep in mind that working on a lathe, with sharp edges, rough, sand-cast finish, etc has impressed me of their ability to "keep it together". If you're working on a gun (mostly smooth, machined surfaces) I would fully expect these to perform exceptionally. Of course, they are a woven fiber and they will fray and leave a few fibers if you work them hard or run them over sharp edges, there is no way around that, but they exceeded my expectations.

I will certainly be using these more often and I will be watching for a good sale on them.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield