• ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    And go!

Looking at these two knives as an edc. Have heard alot about ESEE knives here but does anyone have an opinion about the Swamp Rat knives? From what I read they have the same no questions asked warranty. Does anyone in the area have them? About the only downside I see is they don't come with a sheath.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Both will make you a great knife. I would personally go with the Swamp Rat and give it a few points over the ESEE in regards to the steel, but the differentially heat treated 1095 works incredibly well. The Bussekin knives are also a little more unique and tend to be pretty collectible, even if you use the hell out of it. The ESEE gets a few points too though for coming with a sheath, but that's not a really big deal anymore. Everyone and their brother is working with kydex nowadays, and many of the big names will already have a Bussekin knife on hand to make it.
    Personally though, I like the Rodent Solution a little better because it doesn't have the finger grooves.
    Rodent Solution - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    After buying my daughter and nephew Rodent 3's I kinda wished I'd gone with the Rodent Solution. Both are great knives at a good price.

I've handled Esee's and had an Esee 5. It just seemed blah to me. When I handle and use a Busse or kin they feel a lot better.

I prefer to buy knives that aren't made in limitless quantitities.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I really don't mind the rodent not having a sheath, Id like to try my hand at kydex. I am seeing the Swamp Rat knives are selling for almost twice the new price, probably due to the limited runs and the wait times. Maybe Ill buy both! LOL

I see the steel types are different between the two but I don't know much about the type that SR uses. I do like the design on the Rodent 3 better than the ESEE, and I do like the Solution better than the 3 but I like the size of the 3 for EDC. I plan on wearing it horizontally and think the longer knife would tend to stick out and be in the way more.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Man you should've checked out the Busse table at the 1500. There was a sweet little Rodent Solution variant that I regret not buying.

I'd get on the Swamp Rat site and pull the trigger.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I didn't even get to the 1500, haven't been in a couple years. Im not much of a crowd person. I may have to go to the next. Im close to pulling the trigger on both!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would consider what uses you have the for the knife and then consider blade thickness. I'm not familiar with Swamp Rat, but Busse knives tend to be thick (way too thick in my opinion). If the Rodent 3 is substantially thicker than the ESEE Izula, then it might be stronger, but it's not going to be as efficient at actually cutting things you need to cut.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have thought about that rhino. the rodent is thicker but only a little. This will be just an EDC utility knife, mainly cardboard and packing tape and plastic packaging. I have contacted Knife Lady and should be a new Izula 2 owner by next week. Still thinking about ordering the Rodent too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have thought about that rhino. the rodent is thicker but only a little. This will be just an EDC utility knife, mainly cardboard and packing tape and plastic packaging. I have contacted Knife Lady and should be a new Izula 2 owner by next week. Still thinking about ordering the Rodent too.

The best answer is always . . . both! HAH!

You'll be happy with either (or both), but I think you'll find the Izula to be a superior slicer. The work great as neck knives with a ball chain too.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would chose the esee 3 over rodent 3 if I only had that option. Because the handle of the rodent 3 is to small for my hands. But I would chose the rodent solution over both of those. Order direct from the company or used for the best prices. I have a few esee's but my busse, swamprat, scrapyard, (bussekin) get used more often. The swamprat and scrapyard knives generaly are not as thick as the busse counter parts. They are more on part with normal thickness of others.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Well I bought an Izula 2 from Knife Lady Saturday! Have to say a wonderful meeting! I love the size for Edc. I have it mounted horizontally on the left front of my belt. Easy to get at with either hand. Just used some of the paracord and the slip adjuster that came in the kit. I did sharpen it with my Smiths precision sharpener, much better that out of the package!

Top Bottom