• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I finally broke down and bought a "good" knife. My Swiss Army knife is still the most useful knife I own but I wanted something for camping that could be used to split or "baton" wood. I ended up with a Swamp Rat Rodent 6" Home from Busse Combat at Knob Creek. I really like the knife. It is wide along the spline for better splitting, the handle feels good in my hand and is very sturdy, the length is great for a camp knife and the coating appears durable. The knife checked all the boxes on my list but it didn't come with a sheath.

01 Swamp Rat Rodent 6.jpg

I found a nice sheath at Mashed Cat Outfitters Mashed Cat Outfitters Inc. - Custom KYDEX® Knife Sheaths. They were able to make the sheath from existing patterns so I didn't have to ship the knife to them. It is made really well, holds the knife securely until you push on the thumb bend, has a drain hole at the tip and is designed to be compatible with Tek Lok. The problem is that when I attached it to a Tek Lok the handle was about 5" above the belt line and dug into my side. It was also so high that I had trouble drawing it from the sheath. I didn't want to give up on the Tek Lok because I wanted to be able to attach the knife to my backpack as an alternate location. I tried using a DOH (Drop Offset Holster) adapter which lowered the handle but then the tip of the sheath was angled down into my thigh and uncomfortable (besides being disconcerting).

02 Mashed Cat Sheath.jpg

I found a thread about someone that had made a Universal Kydex Sheath Extension which seemed like what I needed. I sent an email to chiral.grolim@gmail.com and he quickly shipped the extension shown below (along with a leg strap and a "dangler" belt loop). I didn't need the latter two items but ordered a complete set rather than just the extension in case I changed my mind. It lowers the knife handle so that it doesn't dig into my side and I can actually draw the knife. It isn't perfect because it wasn't made specifically for this sheath but for a universal part it is sure pretty close. The price was reasonable, the design was simple but effective and I am very pleased with the extension.

03 Universal Extension.jpg

04 Universal Extension.jpg

Close-up.
    05 Universal Extension.jpg

Complete setup.
    06 Knife in Sheath.jpg

It took a few tries and experimentation along with some searching on the internet but I can recommend this setup. My knife and sheath (with the extension) are now quite functional and meet the expectations I had when I bought the knife.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's not INFI. BOOOOO!!!!!!

:)

Nice grab, the Rodent 6, in my mind, is a hell of a knife for the price. VERY solid feeling, would love to throw one one day to see how it does

Eric makes nice sheaths, never seen a bad one out of him. AZWelke also makes kydex drop loop/tec loc adapters. Or did at one time

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I love Swamp Rat knives. Awesome pick up on the Rodent 6! :yesway: I really enjoy my Rucki.

Currently saving my pennies for a Ratweiler LE. My fiance thought I was crazy for wanting to spend $350.00 on a knife. But then I showed her some expensive ones. LOL.

Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    It's not INFI. BOOOOO!!!!!!

:)

Nice grab, the Rodent 6, in my mind, is a hell of a knife for the price. VERY solid feeling, would love to throw one one day to see how it does

Eric makes nice sheaths, never seen a bad one out of him. AZWelke also makes kydex drop loop/tec loc adapters. Or did at one time

Are these knives cool to throw. They remind me alot of ESE's, which they specifically state are not OK to throw.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Haha......esee

It's a Busse, it's cool to throw. I've thrown my NMSFNO quite a bit. If you have black paper scales they might break though, BP is....brittle... for micarta.

I've shofted the scales on mine and had to pound them back, took a chunk or two from the micarta, adds character.

Give it hell

Top Bottom