• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I got this rifle from my father in law. He didn't know what it was but I recognized the bolt(belonging to a mauser). Did a few searches and it looks like a 1903 gustafs mauser 96. My uncle had a few 6.5x55 laying around and they fit into the chamber nicely. The guy who had it before sporterized it. Looks okay(maybe professionally done) but he spray painted it. It is in the process of getting stripped and I am going to send it somewhere to get it duracoated or something similar.
    This is where you guys come in. Do you have anymore info on it? Was it made in 1903? What can I expect from this rifle? Anyone know where I can get this thing duracoated for not to expensive?
    The rifle did come with after market front and rear sights so we will see how that goes. Thanks for any info you can give me.
    1015-1.jpg

1016-1.jpg

1017.jpg

1013.jpg

1012.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You are correct, it is a 1903 production 6.5 X 55 swede Mauser. It is called a model '96 action. Very accurate and capable round. It has about the same ballistics as the .260 Remington. The barrels are optimized for a 140 grain projectile. My full lentgh barrel model shot the 120 grain Sierras well, but did not like bullets that were lighter. It is only a model 96, so don't go crazy with tying really hot reloads. The lock time is typically slow as are all mausers, and there really isn't a whole lot you can do to change it. It is, after all a 100 plus year old infantry rifle, not a modern target rifle. I'll bet Timney still makes a drop in version of the sportsman trigger to get rid of that long throw, two stage military trigger. Generally speaking the bores of the swede' mausers are way better condition than other mausers because the swedes did not use corrosive ammo. It sounds like a fun project. Good Luck

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Timmney and bold do both make triggers for them. I've got a 96 that was sporterized by Kimber, but mine was changed to 22-250. Theres not as many parts available for a 96 as there are for a 98, but I still like mine.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have a 96 action that I picked up a while ago and have been thinking about doing a build up on it......just haven't decided on the round to send through it yet. But as stated above...not as much candy available for the 96 action, and you have to stick to a smaller round on the small ring Mausers.

Top Bottom