• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    If you've looked into generators you know the holy grail of generators is a diesel generator or a honda generator. Most of us can't afford either. However next to the Honda I've learned that any generator with a Subaru engine is supposed to be the next best thing to a Honda. The Subaru engine has a reputation of running forever. (The engine used to be called the Robin in the US) The only one's I found locally with a Subaru engine are a 1850 watt Homelite and a 7000 (maybe was a 9000) watt Rigid generator both at Home Depot. The larger Rigid generator was about $1600 in September. I couldn't talk the wife into that so I bought the small Homelite for about $385. A few months later I bought a second one for offsite storage (because I believe in redundancy). Though you can get 5000kw generators all day for around $600 I figured I would rather have the Subaru engine in a small format I could tote around then a bigger generator that I didn't have confidence in. I also wanted a small enough generator that I can get it in my bug out vehicle, which I can.

Anyway, Home Depot carry's a 5000kw Husky Generator with a Briggs & Straton engine for $599 for a while. I have no interest in Briggs & Stratton engines as the don't have a reputation for long term durability. So today I walk into Home Depot, and there are dozens of the 5000kw Husky's for $599, but wait, they all have Subaru engines! 5000kw, durability and just $599. The irony is the display model is still the Briggs engine, so I really think this is just a limited run. If I hadn't already bought the two smaller units I'd be all over this.... I still might have to pick up one, but where do I hide it so the wife doesn't find out?

By the way if you buy a generator make sure to run it a good two hours, continuous, in the first 30 days under load (something plugged in). If it breaks down in those 30 days you can probably take it back where you bought it. After 30 days you probably have to deal with the manufacturer. Then you should run your generator 1 to 2 hours each month, under load again, to keep it performing in top shape. Also if you keep it sitting too long you'll need to use gas stabilizer, but if you run it monthly you won't have to worry about that. Also when you run your generator don't run it in the house, or even the garage, the carbon monoxide will kill you. Also don't place it near a fresh air intake outside or your house or the fumes will be sucked in and you have to deal with that death thing again.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is great information. Thanks for the schooling. I'm just getting into being prepared and info like this is gold.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I strongly prefer Tri-Fuel generators, or dual fuel generators as a second option. The last thing I want is to be stuck refilling a generator with 5 gallons of gasoline every 5 to 8 hours. How many gas cans do you want to keep on hand???

In fact in the current ice/snow storm we just had roll across Northwest Indiana a friend of mine had his powerlines fall on his driveway, his generator ran out of fuel, he, his wife and his baby sat in his truck to stay warm while waiting for the linemen to come clear away the downed power line so he could go out to buy gas for his generator . . . which failed on Christmas day.

My Tri-Fuel has been running on natural gas for over a dozen years, never ran out of fuel yet!!! But if I do it has a 5 gallon fuel tank on the top and I can switch to gasoline power in less than 5 minutes.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    check your store for return policies on generators! the few ruin it for the many. return policies have gotten down right ridiculous because of people who "rent" generators, power washers, and things which are hard to tell if used or ruined intentionally.

now, if its truly a defective unit, don't be insulted when you get a bit of a hassle when trying to return it. exchange should be no problem, but to get refunded for a unit is usually stressful.

just something to think about. and i have no experience with the Subaru motors.

the fall back generators are getting more and more affordable by the year. i have to agree with melensdad. if you can get one which can be routed with your gas source, jump on it! and if you are doing a "new construction" home, the extra $4k in the spending of $100k is a drop in the bucket and almost IMPOSSIBLE to pass up!

Last edited by a moderator:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Mine is not one of the dedicated fall back systems. Mine is actually so old it was purchased before those systems were common. I've got a 16 horsepower Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin engine, electric start, powering a Generac generator that powers my house. Its a Tri-Fuel unit, runs on gasoline, Natural Gas or Propane. It was about 1/2 the price of one of those dedicated systems. I have a cut-over switch installed to isolate my generator from the utility lines.

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    I strongly prefer Tri-Fuel generators, or dual fuel generators as a second option. The last thing I want is to be stuck refilling a generator with 5 gallons of gasoline every 5 to 8 hours. How many gas cans do you want to keep on hand???

In fact in the current ice/snow storm we just had roll across Northwest Indiana a friend of mine had his powerlines fall on his driveway, his generator ran out of fuel, he, his wife and his baby sat in his truck to stay warm while waiting for the linemen to come clear away the downed power line so he could go out to buy gas for his generator . . . which failed on Christmas day.

My Tri-Fuel has been running on natural gas for over a dozen years, never ran out of fuel yet!!! But if I do it has a 5 gallon fuel tank on the top and I can switch to gasoline power in less than 5 minutes.

Your correct tri-fuel or at least multi-fuel is best. You can buy a carburetor adapter for most generators so they will run on LP and Gas. That needs to be on my list of things to do

However, topdog, or anyone, don't let trying to do multi-fuel of any kind slow you down from buying a quality generator if you have the money. You can look at modifications later, or upgrading later, but grab something while you can.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I know dad's been wanting to get another generator sometime since our old one went down, I'll have to tell him about that on at Home Depot and see if we can snag one up soon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . buying a quality generator . . .
    That says it all right there.

My recommendation is to buy a bigger generator than you think you need, or as big as you can afford even if you have to stretch the budget a bit. Bigger generators don't work as hard, so you won't over stress them and blow them out when you really need one. I also recommend the Tri-Fuel type generators, having used both to run a home for extended periods, the only type I ever hope to own in the future are those with multi-fuel capabilities. Waking up to put gas in the generator when it is below zero is not a fun experience. Running out of gas is worse. Not being able to get gas when you need it makes the generator useless.

The reality is very few of us have more than 5 or 10 gallons of gasoline at home that can be used for the generator. Its just a safe product to store and not prudent to store it in large quantities in most home garages.

If you are considering your generator needs, think about the WORST CASE scenario that is REALISTIC and build your generator requirements around that scenario.

Mine came true, 8 days without power, temps reached -20 degrees (F), snowed in with a closed road for 3 full days.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    However, topdog, or anyone, don't let trying to do multi-fuel of any kind slow you down from buying a quality generator if you have the money. You can look at modifications later, or upgrading later, but grab something while you can.

Lots of very good advice on this thread but I think this one is a gem. Start out with what you can afford, then save up/trade up to get better gear.

I started with a power inverter for the car, then got one for the diesel tractor. When I could afford it I went with a gas generator because all of our vehicles but the tractor run on gas and we keep the tanks half full at minimum. I added several gas cans that I store in an outbuilding and rotate through that fuel in the cars/truck.

Next on my wish list is a diesel generator. After that it will be an above ground storage tank.

Key is to start prepping within your budget and stick to it. Make a wish list, prioritize it and then start saving your pennies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Next on my wish list is a diesel generator. After that it will be an above ground storage tank.
    I just added 500 gallons of above ground diesel storage capacity. . . would like to get a diesel generator at some point for my workshop . . . but would also like to buy/build a Bio-Diesel fuel maker to turn waste vegetable oil into Bio-Diesel. Could run one of the cars and the tractors with bio-diesel, that is when the diesel generator in the workshop would also come in handy.

The biggest problem with brewing home-made bio-diesel is getting a good supply of oil, on a regular basis. If you cut deals with restaurants you have to be dependable and pick it up on a regular schedule, not something I want to be tied down to.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Bio-Diesel

I just added 500 gallons of above ground diesel storage capacity. . . would like to get a diesel generator at some point for my workshop . . . but would also like to buy/build a Bio-Diesel fuel maker to turn waste vegetable oil into Bio-Diesel. Could run one of the cars and the tractors with bio-diesel, that is when the diesel generator in the workshop would also come in handy.

The biggest problem with brewing home-made bio-diesel is getting a good supply of oil, on a regular basis. If you cut deals with restaurants you have to be dependable and pick it up on a regular schedule, not something I want to be tied down to.

I'm wanting to get into bio-diesel as well. We already home brew beer and wine and I have a good working knowledge of distillation. I've built a couple of stills (only for distilling water if SHTF, I would never distill alcohol since that's not allowed).

If there are any INGO members that make bio-diesel would they mind opening up a thread and schooling us?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OFF TOPIC POST IN REPLY TO Eddie: The biggest problem I have with bio-diesel is that my diesel VW is NOT warranted to run on anything greater than a 5% Bio to 95% Dino blend. The older VWs will run on pure 100% Bio-Diesel. My tractor will run on 100% Bio-Diesel. But it sort of defeats the point of brewing your own Bio-Diesel if you have to blend it with 95% Dino-Diesel. There are people working on solutions to this problem, but I don't see that I will commit to brewing Bio-Diesel until there is a way to run my diesel car on at least 50% Bio- blended with 50% Dino-Diesel.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    robin/subaru engines are junk i have between 25 and 30 of them in the shop that i either cant get parts for or they are just plain not worth fixing . Briggs and stratton or kohler are much better generator engines . The home line gen sets you see at most of the big box stores are only intended to run 30-50 hours . if your running a small engine gen set like that plan on changing the oil every 12-16 hours for max life

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Costco has these fall-back generators for $2000. I didn't study them as closely as I should have. But will look them up online later.
    They run on natural gas (I don't know if they had kits for LP or other fuels).
    They come with isolating switch box.
    I think rated at 10kW.
    Foot print it occupies is about 2.5' x 4' and has a sound deadening cover.
    I can't recall the brand name, but Costco stands behind everything it sells in my experience.

Last edited:

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    i bought a lightly used 10 k with a 3 cyl kubota diesel on a trailer for $1300 whole house transfer switch was $400 can use either the diesel of the 4500w homelite /briggs-stratton to run the house . there are deals out there you just have to jump on it when you find one

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Just a heads up about the suburu/robin engines. I have had TERRIBLE luck with them. When I was a landscaper, I burned them up about 2 per month in various uses from compactors to mud buggys. They are nearly impossible to get parts for and repair, and most (at least at that time) are made in Korea.

A good resource for high quality, inexpensive diesel generators is to buy them used. They can be found on old RVs, and large boats. For less than the price of a new generator, you can find an entire RV on craigslist and get not only the generator, but the plumbing system, cooking, heating and AC systems. All tend to be very efficient. Salvage what you want and can use, then scrap the rest at the salvage yard for a chunk of your money back.

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    Maybe I stand corrected on the Suburu engines though I did a ton of research on them and felt/feel that they will stand the test. But, I do buy 2 of everything when it comes to SHTF preps.

For $599 at Home D, I'd still buy the Suburu over the Briggs... Personally I can't stand anything with the Briggs and Straton logo and I know I can't afford the good stuff, much less a diesel.

I also wouldn't expect a portable generator to power anything more then necessities and if we get to SHTF I doubt I'll be using a generator for much more then a few weeks till the fuel runs out. Yes, I know, buy diesel, can't afford it, remember.

Good information here though from all.

Top Bottom