Switch from 9mm to .40 - your thoughts, please..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    the 23 is tops in my book. I'm not sure I'd want to lug the 35 around all day...

The G35 is essentially a G22 Longslide. Same capacity, but 8/10" longer barrel and a nearly identical overall length difference. The G23 drops capacity from 15 (with std. mag) to 13 and shortens from a G22 by about 1/2" in barrel/overall length and about 4/10" in height. If you need the extra 2 in the mag, go with a G22, if you want the versatility of a duty gun and carry gun in one package, get the 23.

ps - G22s can be found all over as LEO trade-ins, you can buy a used 2nd gen for a song compared to the $ of a new G35

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, I guess the only reason to keep the 9mm AND get the .40 is to have more in the armory, so to speak..

I prefer the term "battery", but yes, this is a valid point. If you like to shoot much, 9mm is cheaper. Keeping the 9mm also gives you more options if you like to "plan ahead" (i.e. disaster, out of country travel, another change in work in a few years, etc.).

I don't ever think you'll be "sorry" because you have more guns. More guns give you more options.

If it's strictly a tool for work, and you don't care about any of the above, then it's a purely financial decision.

broncrider3445

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    I think that if you are going to carry a backup to you duty weapon or even when carrying a backup for you pp carry gun, it should be the same as your primary. If you get into trouble and have to pull your backup you want it to be the same feel as the one you use most often. If you shoot a .40 most often and then pull your backup and it is a different cal. then it might distract you because it shoots a little differenty than what you are used to.

james e

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    9mm

if you are requid to carry a 40 at job then ok.but if you like the 9mm then carry it when not on job.i prefer a 9mm:twocents:

Top Bottom