• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I am relatively new at carrying, and have just started alternating my 2 original magazines. I switch back and forth once a month so the springs can take a break. Is this a good habbit? Or does it even matter? What do you do?

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Spring wear comes from the spring working. Loaded or unloaded storage will be fine. You'll notice on new magazines that they can be pretty tight to load the last couple of rounds in, but then free up after you shoot through them a few times. It'll take a loooong time to wear one out under normal usage.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    What hurts springs is a dynamic load. I.E. loading/unloading. A static load doesn't have any effect on your springs. Whether it be loaded/unloaded, it doesn't matter. The only thing that wears them out is use, so either keep em loaded or keep em unloaded.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    I use other magazines for practicing, and i take them apart sometimes to wipe off gun powder residue. But since i dont with the magazines i carry, i can leave them full all the time? I keep my firearm clean and well oiled, i guess i expect some kind of need for magazine maintenance as well...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Will add a caveat: Depends on the spring metal. Some springs are cheaply made and will "take a set" after sitting loaded. I've seen that on cheap mags or cheap pistols.

That being said, replacement springs from Wolff, of VERY good quality, are cheap. Run those mags and practice regularly, replace the springs at the first failure. Also, you should have that second mag on you. You never know when you may need it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I just tossed two G21 mags that finally wore out after about ten years of use.

+1 (actually a G17 on this end): magazines are intended to be a disposable item in a way. Springs wear out, feed lips spread, floor plates weaken from being loaded (the downside to keeping mags loaded isn't just the spring, it's other parts as well). Years catch up and they just fall apart.

Use them, replace springs at failures, then throw out after some use.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For my carry guns I keep a couple basically new magazines for carry. The others are for range use only. That way I load, unload, drop, kick, step on my range mags. The others just stay loaded.

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    So I put more stress on the magazine unloading it at the end of the day and reloading it in the morning then I would be if I just left it loaded?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So I put more stress on the magazine unloading it at the end of the day and reloading it in the morning then I would be if I just left it loaded?

Yes. I never unload my carry mags anymore. In fact I never unload my gun unless I am cleaning or using for dry practice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Yes. I never unload my carry mags anymore. In fact I never unload my gun unless I am cleaning or using for dry practice.

that's a good point. I have always unloaded my carry gun at the end of the day. Up until now, I was even switching mags once a month for my home defense gun. Good to know that isn't necessary.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    that's a good point. I have always unloaded my carry gun at the end of the day. Up until now, I was even switching mags once a month for my home defense gun. Good to know that isn't necessary.

If you load and unload the same round day after day, that could actually be dangerous. The repeated chambering of the same round over and over will cause the bullet to set back into the case and cause dangerous pressure spikes if you actually have to fire the round. If ANY of your rounds look shorter than new ones, they shouldn't be used.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Loading and unloading the same couple of rounds is definitely a good way to ruin your day real quick one day in the future!

I would shoot my carry mags every once in a while for sure, I just want that piece of mind they are in good working order, but for extended shooting I use other mags primarily. Just load them up and leave them that way, or unload an leave them, whatever floats your boat though obviously the carry mags should stay loaded. Once loaded don't unload until you are shooting or you are otherwise required to. Saves wear and tear on the mags and the ammo.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bullet setback. Yes it can happen. Just another reason to keep the gun loaded. I try to rotate the chambered round out every so often.

Top Bottom