• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Comcast is installing wireless internet today, finally had enough of AT&T's crap. :xmad:

Question I have is this, we have a router now for the laptops in the house but, the desktop computer upstairs has always been wired directly to the modem. Since Comcast is going to be all wireless what exactly will I need to allow the desktop to connect to the router? Is it just a wireless card that needs to be installed? The woman at Comcast couldn't tell me anything.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Most wireless routers have at least one jack for a wired connection, but if it is not going to be installed in
    the same room as the modem, that is not an option, especially if it is a long run. Yes, you can get a wireless
    card and install it into your PC, and it should work just like any other wireless device.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Comcast isn't wireless. You need a wireless router for that. Regardless, you still have to have a cable modem to get the internet signal inside your house. Like the previous post stated, most wireless routers still have jacks to use them wired as well.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    I don't think Comcast will let you connect the Modem to both a router and direct to a PC. You will need to connect the PC to the router via a wired connection or a wireless card or USB wireless adapter.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I understand how you feel. AT&T has their last chance today to make things right or I am making the switch.

If they install the modem at your desktop, I would be surprised that you couldnt run a patch cable from the modem to your existing router and continue to operate as you are currently setup. Just make sure that the security settings are set on both the cable router and your existing router.

The other thing you could do is buy a motorola cable modem and put it into your existing setup. Then you dont have to pay comcast the monthly fee for their equipment.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    From what I was told at the Comcast store was the installer will bring a router and set that part of the wireless system up. I have a Belkin router now that I think is acting weird so I don't know if I want to use it. The desk top is plugged into the "wired" jack on the back of the router I have now. Main thing is the new modem will be downstairs and the desk top is upstairs so everything will have to be wireless now.

Guess a good question is, does Comcast internet come in thru the same cable as the TV service? Cause I'm ditching the Dish and going with Comcast cable TV too.

It looks like I simply need plug in a wireless card into the desk top computer to pick up the wireless signal. Correct?

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I have had comcast for 5ish years now. The first four were a perfect example of the worst business practices I have ever witnessed. It was awful. The past year has been relatively ok in comparison. I hope you have better luck then I.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Funny to read these posts. Last year we tried Comcast for phone, TV, and PC. It was a nightmare. In the space of four months, they came out several times. Once all three services were out. I called them on my cell and they told me they don't know what the problem is and can't help me. That did it, I signed up with AT&T U-Verse and have had no problems all year. When I returned the box to Comcast, they didn't even ask me why I was leaving them. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    If U-verse is in your area I would keep it over comcast they have done nothing but raise prices on me I don't have a lot of issues but I used to pay 45.99 for the top of the line plan now they have limited the speed on all the plans and I down graded cause the raised the price and now I pay like 40 bucks and my internet seems a lot slower... but you gotta do what you gotta do!

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Most newer laptops don't even need a card......they have wifi capabilities already. Check yours before buying a network card.

Another new option is using your power lines to extend the signal, then directly connecting to your laptop: Wireless Network Extender

While I'm not a Comcast fan......I've had them for over 5 years and they've never been out to fix anything as I've never had a service problem.

winstonsmith84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Middletown
    You will need to either install a wireless card or get one of the little USB wireless adaptors.

I had Comcast years ago for TV/Voice/Internet and was extremely unhappy with their billing and they cut my speed nearly in half from what it was before they bought Insight. I canceled and switched back to ATT for voice and DSL and Dish for TV. The DSL speed was only slightly slower than what Comcast had neutered my cable internet speeds to. I'm not happy ATT by any means, but at least they are not Comcast.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It looks like I simply need plug in a wireless card into the desk top computer to pick up the wireless signal. Correct?

They make wireless adapters that you simply plug in to any usb port that should solve your problem. They sell them just about anywhere that has computer stuff. Just make sure you get one capable of high speed data transfers. Just do a quick search for "wireless usb adapter" and you'll see what I mean.

I've had Comcast for several years. As has been mentioned earlier, the first few years were not the best. However, at that time there were very few options to choose from for broadband. Things have improved quite a bit as far as service goes though. I hadn't heard their installations were totally wireless now but it kinda makes sense. Everything is going that way now. I still have a standard cable modem going to my own wireless router.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    All I can say is AT&T is worthless. I was "promised" 700-800 whatever speed wise when I went with their DSL. I've been lucky to get 250. Two separate servicemen have told me "I don't know why they even sold you DSL, you're too far away". Funny but every time I have called and *****ed, the speed suddenly goes up. Only for awhile though. It takes 2-3 minutes or more to watch a 30 second video sometimes. I've just had enough of AT&T, we are doing away with the DSL and telephone. We use the cell phones all the time anyway.

The old laptop I use has a wireless card in it and works fine when I am in hotels while on the road. It requires an adapter to work with the router we have at the house now. Hopefully that will change.

Actually the whole purpose of this is to ditch Dish Network, AT&T and replace them with Comcast. Saves me about $80/month.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    one thing with comcast, I have seen is the outside wire will need to be replaced once you start having issues. The wire especially if it has been there over 10 years starts having issues & they use a newer better outdoor cable now. as far as price goes it has gotten higher, but I couldn't handle dsl speeds.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Well it's all up and running.:yesway: Pretty painless procedure. They did run all new cable since the existing cable was put in back in 1986 when we built the house.

Only thing I had to buy was a wireless USB adapter for the desk top upstairs. Picked that up at BestBuys, pretty easy install.

So far everything is MUCH faster, we'll see when my son decides he has to play PS3 and others want to be online too. That KILLED the internet with DSL.

Top Bottom