• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    To borrow a famous line, the problem with most people trying to understanding the true nature of historical sword combat is not that they're ignorant — it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

It's amazing, really, how a subject that so permeates our modern pop culture, and is so ubiquitous, is one which virtually no one any longer has any real world experience in, nor pursues for its original function. As a result, most all our conceptions of sword-fighting get it wrong. The reality of it is not what you think it is.

Swordfighting: Not What You Think It Is

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I saw something on Netflicks a while back that came to the same conclusion (well it at least covered it). The show went on to say that some of the information has been lost and that we think sometimes of the Asian Martial arts masters as having the art and discipline and technique. We sometimes think of the western swordsmen as just hack and slashers with armor, and it was not that way at all.
    The show even showed some drawing where a swordsman held the sword backwards and used the hilt as a hook on the back of the enemies neck.
    I would love to have the time to learn some of that stuff.
    I love to see a good sword fight, but I also know the movie version is not quite what it may have been.

Top Bottom