• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntercam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    I was just wanting other Encore shooters opinions on favorite barrells, gunsmith work done to improve accuracy, collections, and anything else about your Encores. I love mine!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Finally another T/C fan! I started with a 480 Ruger 12" barrel before I even had a receiver. I bought it on eBay for $100 on a no reserve auction when you could still buy barrels. I have bought, shot, and sold 50+ barrels since 2003. I have sent all of my Encore receivers to Mike Bellm for trigger work. My lightest is a 1lb pull and the other three are 2lb pulls. The best barrel I have had was a 260 Remington from MGM that I shot consistent .2's at 100 yards with. I currently do not have a barrel on any of my receivers because I have been working with 6.5 TCU in Contenders.

huntercam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    I started with the contender in the 375 - way to much gun. Went to 44 mag and loved it. traded for smith 44. Went back to encore pistol in 44, 30-30, and .22lr. Eyes are terrible so went to Encore rifle and muzzle loader. Currently playing with the .223 for coyotes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    google bellm tcs web site. ive done 10-15 or there trigger jobs and they are so much improvment over factory. they also sell oversized hingpins and i think they carry hanger bars. pretty much any info you are looking for they have

huntercam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    I bought the locker pin from D. Arthur Brown who also does alot for Contenders and Encores. The oversized pins from what I've been told void all warranties. Did my own dremelling on the ears and the forend to free up the receiver. So far so good. Using 52 grain boxed Hornady ammo, 100 yds, 4 shots in golf ball. Hopefully not just a good day but can repeat that.

huntercam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    Sorry, I do love the bellm website as well and was considering once coyote season is over sending it in for trigger work. Do you get alot of muzzle jump from any of your rifles.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sorry, I do love the bellm website as well and was considering once coyote season is over sending it in for trigger work. Do you get alot of muzzle jump from any of your rifles.

currently most of my trigger jobs are on muzzleloaders so yes there is alot of muzzle jump. i have a 358 bfg barrel for deer season but i haven't put it on. its a mgm wich will be my first non factory barrel for the encore.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I just bought my first Encore from a guy on another site. Hopefully i will get it next week if my FFL is home. It has an 18" MGM barrel in .357 max, Leupold rings, and Leupold base. I can't wait. I'm already looking for a .260 barrel and a pistol set-up in .243.

01-27-2011032.jpg

01-27-2011028.jpg

huntercam

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Middlebury, IN
    My .223 has alot more jump than I thought it would. Compared to my buddies bolt it is bad. Any suggestions? Thought about going to composite thumbhole stock and forend but don't know if that will help or hurt.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My .223 has alot more jump than I thought it would. Compared to my buddies bolt it is bad. Any suggestions? Thought about going to composite thumbhole stock and forend but don't know if that will help or hurt.

i would not think a thumbhole stock would effect muzzle jump. ive never seen somone put a brake on a 223 but there is no reason you cant and that will help your muzzlejump.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Sweet set-up dave29. I have a Pro Hunter in 357 max that is probably one of my favorite rifles. I recently got a 204 Ruger barrel for it for varmint control that I have been setting up. Looking forward to testing it out.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you are feeling more recoil than you are comfortable with I definitely recommend getting a Limbsaver recoil pad. I had to get one when I had a 12 gauge slug barrel. It helped a little but the biggest problem is the factory stocks, both standard and thumbhole are a compromise between the sight lines for iron sights and scopes so the recoil always hit me in the cheek because I couldn't get a solid cheekweld with scopes. If you are going to shoot anything with heavy recoil using a scope it will be worth it to buy a good laminated custom stockset that has the cheek piece high enough to get a solid cheekweld.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I will make one note on laminate stocks - they don't hold up to dangerous game cartridges very well. My 416 Rigby had less than 20 rounds through it before the stock came apart. I sent it back and they reglued it with a note stating that it was the most damaged stock they had ever seen come back and that something a like a Flextech stock would be a better choice. :D

Favorite barrel would be very tough to choose.; but the 416 would be in the mix!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will make one note on laminate stocks - they don't hold up to dangerous game cartridges very well. My 416 Rigby had less than 20 rounds through it before the stock came apart. I sent it back and they reglued it with a note stating that it was the most damaged stock they had ever seen come back and that something a like a Flextech stock would be a better choice. :D

Favorite barrel would be very tough to choose.; but the 416 would be in the mix!

Who made that stock? It seems that as long as the hole for the receiver was fit correctly there should be no issues with splitting.

Top Bottom