• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good to know that researchers can get grants to understand the habits of Rex vs the average human.
    I'd think a speed contest between a lion and a fit athletic male would make more sense as a way to spend money.

Pffft. Cecil proved that a lion can't outrun a doughy, middle aged dentist with a bow. Where's my grant money?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Considering that it took paleontologists nearly a century to get the posture of Tyrannosaurus Rex right, going from the weird slightly inclined with the tail propping to nearly horizontal with the tail held well clear of the ground, it's probable that these running speed numbers will be revised up or down over time as more is learned about the musculature and joint structure.
    I'll just point out that 16.5mph is not exactly slow, and you can bet that a wildly hypothetical run for your life against ol' Rex wouldn't be on a perfectly smooth cinder-surfaced track, but over rough terrain, bringing even the quoted Usain Bolt down to probably no more than 10mph, but Rex would probably still be going right at or damn near his speculated top speed.
    He ate Triceratops, no wimp, so your odds wouldn't be so good against him.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That's like shooting the neighbor's cat. Not exactly a "hunting" challenge.
    I guess "Cecil" was the neighbor's cat. Neighborhoods vary by location.

"Cecil" was hardly like a neighbor's cat. Giving a lion a name doesn't turn it into a house cat nor does familiarity make a wild animal tame.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I want to know how they come up with such an exact number of 16.5 mph and not just an estimate? Thinking of a trotting T-Rex makes me laugh a little inside though with their short arms waving around frantically. Maybe they were more the clown of dinosaurs.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If a T-Rex were in the room, you guys wouldn't be so cavalier with your tiny arms jokes.

At least T-Rex had full-sized legs. Otherwise he would have been a reptile version of me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Let me get this right... Are you saying T-Rex cut his arms off?

stock-vector-angry-rhino-170003702.jpg

Top Bottom