• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    So we are finally gonna do it. sometime this week we are gonna say good bye to cable. tired of paying for over produced garbage.

I have been looking at antennas and holy cow there are alot but i have found this one <~~~~clicky

has any one used one of these or anything similar?
    I live in the noblesville area and am about 46 miles from the farthest broadcast area (pbs i could do without that one) and around 26-30 miles for all the main channels. 6,8,13,59.

i guess i am also looking for any suggestions about anything i may be over looking. i already have a mast set up for my radio antenna for our isp and plan to use that. dishnetwork has enough cable already ran that i could just use that to hook up both tvs in our home. I live in a trailor that is all metal outside so i am afraid indoor antennas are out of the question.

Thank you in advance for any help,suggestions,criticism.
    http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewi...idirectional-TV-Antenna-(MS2002)&p=WD-MS-2002

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Get the 60 mile Channel Master attic antenna from frys. $45-50

I'm in Carmel, I have mine in the attic split 4 ways without an amplifier and I get good signal on all major channels. If your house is pre wired for cable or satellite put the antenna on the cable that would be the input from outside. That will feed all tvs in the house. Depending on how many you may need an amplifier.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Get the 60 mile Channel Master attic antenna from frys. $45-50

I'm in Carmel, I have mine in the attic split 4 ways without an amplifier and I get good signal on all major channels. If your house is pre wired for cable or satellite put the antenna on the cable that would be the input from outside. That will feed all tvs in the house. Depending on how many you may need an amplifier.
    What attic? He said he lives in a trailer. LOL.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have that same one. While I don't currently use it, it functioned fine. It is still mounted on my roof but you are welcome to have it for free if you take it down. You'll need a tall extension ladder. Pm me if you want it.

I'm in Fishers btw.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Antenna inside a trailer is going to be a big lose, especially with the digital signals. Faraday cage. If you don't have a solid signal, you get nothing. Myself, I haven't "upgraded" because I don't watch much anyway. If TV went away it wouldn't bug me. Now, intertubes, that's a different thing. I wouldn't have an excuse not to do the dishes, and that would be intolerable.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Antenna inside a trailer is going to be a big lose, especially with the digital signals. Faraday cage. If you don't have a solid signal, you get nothing. Myself, I haven't "upgraded" because I don't watch much anyway. If TV went away it wouldn't bug me. Now, intertubes, that's a different thing. I wouldn't have an excuse not to do the dishes, and that would be intolerable.

Your right I forgot about the Faraday cage effect since the trailer has a metal shell. I should have thought of that, as I used to work in a Faraday cage.

I believe they do make one that Is pole mountable.

This is the one I have BTW...
    Pick up FREE Digital TV with Channel Master digital HDTV Antenna CM-4221HD for the best TV antenna reception

it looks to be pole mountable.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Antennaweb.org

I was in new castle, 45 miles from towers. I had a medium directional antenna with pre-amp and had 92% signal on all Indy HD channels mounted 4" off the ground

It was something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FVVKQM

One channel was VHF instead of UHF or vice versa. That site will tell you all you need to know.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have an outdoor HD antennae and used it for about 6 months while pissed at Comcast. I think it worked ok, but in my location I still couldn't get some of the local channels.

I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST picking up a blu ray or online media box that can give you some online options as well. Our blu ray player had Amazon, and we used it fairly often for the 1 dollar movie offer. That is if you will still have internet.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Can't help with the suggestions much since we get our over-the-air channels with an generic off-the-shelf "desktop" antenna from Walmart.

But we have been watching free TV for the past 10+ years. I don't regret it for a minute. It's easy enough to turn the boob tube off when you can't find anything interesting on the few select channels you have. Though you'd be surprised how good the free TV is getting with the capability of the network stations to have more than one digital channel.

Now, if cable/satellite ever goes a la carte, I might have to break down and pay for it. But until then...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So we are finally gonna do it. sometime this week we are gonna say good bye to cable. tired of paying for over produced garbage.

I have been looking at antennas and holy cow there are alot but i have found this one <~~~~clicky

has any one used one of these or anything similar?
    I live in the noblesville area and am about 46 miles from the farthest broadcast area (pbs i could do without that one) and around 26-30 miles for all the main channels. 6,8,13,59.

i guess i am also looking for any suggestions about anything i may be over looking. i already have a mast set up for my radio antenna for our isp and plan to use that. dishnetwork has enough cable already ran that i could just use that to hook up both tvs in our home. I live in a trailor that is all metal outside so i am afraid indoor antennas are out of the question.

Thank you in advance for any help,suggestions,criticism.

I have that antenna 30-40 miles away 25ish feet high. I get all the broadcast channels (in native HD,) except 8. I do get 8 50 yards away with the large Radio Shack conventional antenna.

FYI - you do have to direct the disk to pick up the farther out and less powerful channels.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    I have an outdoor HD antennae and used it for about 6 months while pissed at Comcast. I think it worked ok, but in my location I still couldn't get some of the local channels.

I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST picking up a blu ray or online media box that can give you some online options as well. Our blu ray player had Amazon, and we used it fairly often for the 1 dollar movie offer. That is if you will still have internet.

We currently only have a Roku for streaming and antenna and are fine. Gave up cable almost a year ago.

we have an extra junk computer that works good enough for streaming so i am just gonna hook that up to the tv for when we wanna watch a movie or anything like that.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    ok one last question to help me decide, those of you on antenna when you wanna watch channle 4(wttv) or channel 6(wrtv) what channel do you actually have it on??

alot of the antennas i have looked at have said they are good for channels 7-69 and those tend to be the better antennas for the price ( as far as range per $) the ones that pickup 2-6 seem to be around $80 and up for anything over 30 miles.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The stations still have the same channel numbers for familiarity, but they've been moving them around to different frequencies, so the channel number you're tuned to is likely not the same as the channel number you're watching. The .gov is also reallocating spectrum, so some stations are likely to get moved some more. 2-6 was all lower than FM broadcast, basically 54-88MHz with other things interspersed, and channel 7 starts at 174MHz. Everything above channel 51 has been reallocated already, so you don't get above 700MHz. That extra bandwidth matters a lot to antenna design; covering down to 54 makes the antenna bigger. Remember some of the monstrosities you could buy for channels 2-83?

Top Bottom