• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ok, I finally got approved for my Tac65 about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4, and I finally got to pick it up on Saturday! :)

Ive got a few quick questions on the can, and ammo:

1) what ammo do you guys usually run? Ive got some Remington sub-sonic that seems to do ok, and I have a friend that swears by RWS "Sniper sub-sonic" for his. Does it make much difference, ie which subsonic ammo??

2) can I run this can wet? and if so what medium do you add, and what quanitity? Ive seen the videos put out by Thompson Machine and they spray a water mist into their cans.

3) I remember seeing someone at NFA day had teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads before they screwed the can on. is this needed?

4) anything else I might need to know?!?!

thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As far as ammo:

Keep in mind that the 60gr Aguila subsonic stuff is probably not a good idea.

Many .22 suppressor manufacturers don't warrant their suppressors if this ammo is used. Reason being: The OAL of the bullet is too long, and the weight too high, for many firearms to properly stabilize the bullet...ending up in baffle strikes.

Other than that, you can run just about anything at all.

-J-

PS: I don't own a Tac-65 specifically.... I have a Stratus.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the local guy actually uses that Aguila with good success, but I wont because of the reasons you mention.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't have a Tac 65, but I do have one of the older Tac 64's.

1. I've fired all kinds of ammo, don't really have a preference.

2. I've just used plain water to run it wet, it is much quieter.

3. Never used any tape on the threads, never had any problems.

4. Keep it clean. I put a bunch of rounds through mine without cleaning and it no longer comes apart. Still works, but it's definitly getting heavier.

Have fun! :ar15:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    the local guy actually uses that Aguila with good success, but I wont because of the reasons you mention.

Yeah, if I were made of money...I'd give it a try, too!

But mind's a blasted $500 investment! Can't afford to (possibly) muck it up with a baffle strike.

Granted, it could always be shipped back and repaired, so it might not cost me $500 for a replacement + stamp, but why chance it?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Congrats on getting your stamp!

As to ammo, I'd let your firearm decide that for the most part. My cut down Ruger MKII gobbles up ust about anything and so far everything I've fed it has ended up sunsonic. I do tend to shoot Remington SubSonic HP's a lot, though. My Savage boltgun likes Eley Practice ammo, as in 1/2" groups or less at 50 yards and it's subsonic. If you are shooting through a rifle, you'll have to test to see what shoots good and is quiet for you. I was suprised that Remington Target ammo is often supersonic. I think it's right at the borderline during the summer as some rounds would be quiet and some you could hear the sonic crack. Most 'target' or 'match' ammo will be subsinc in a rifle barrel, but not all.

I can't comment on the Tac65, but I've run my OBII wet a time or two. Honestly, I was just curious and sprayed some RemOil in it before shooting. It was a bit quieter. I also have a squirt of Mobil1 0w-20 in it once and it was about the same. Mobil1 does stink as it burns, though! I need to try it again, at the range (this was in the garage) and see how it really sounds.

Some use teflon tape, I like to use anti-sieze. I'm sure it's not really neede dofr quick range trips, but if you plan on shooting thousands of rounds through it before removing it, it's probably a good idea. I don't leave my can mounted on anything, and I usually take three guns to shoot with the can, so it get's swapped out pretty regularly.

My only piece of advice is to make sure it stays on tight. Especially if you've got some sort of hi-cap semi-auto. it's easy to blast through a big mag or two and not check it. It'll probably stay on fine, but it may vibrate loose and cost you a trip back to the factory!

Oh, and we need pics of your set-up! C'mon, man; its mandatory!!

Doug K

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Ok, I finally got approved for my Tac65 about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4, and I finally got to pick it up on Saturday! :)

Ive got a few quick questions on the can, and ammo:

1) what ammo do you guys usually run? Ive got some Remington sub-sonic that seems to do ok, and I have a friend that swears by RWS "Sniper sub-sonic" for his. Does it make much difference, ie which subsonic ammo??

2) can I run this can wet? and if so what medium do you add, and what quanitity? Ive seen the videos put out by Thompson Machine and they spray a water mist into their cans.

3) I remember seeing someone at NFA day had teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads before they screwed the can on. is this needed?

4) anything else I might need to know?!?!

thanks!

You can use just about any ammo. It's just that the supersonic stuff will have the balistic crack. I use mainly target 22lr ammo as they are made to stay below the speed of sound in most firearms. No need to pay extra for subsonics. I have shot the Agilla SSS 60 gr in my TAC 67 and Archangell III and have not had any baffle strikes at all. The TAC cans have a pretty liberal hole down the middle. Just make sure it is concentric with whatever bore that you put it on. If you have a baffle strike do not worry to much as it can be easily fixed.

As for shooting it wet since it is an Aluminum baffled suppressor I would stay away from water or water based mediums. Aluminum just loves to corrode when wet. Now using some light oil will help but can blow back on you and make a bit of a mess.

For the teflon tape if your threads are good you do not need it at all. Just make sure it is hand tight and check after a few mags.

Chuck

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I have shot around 20k+ rounds out of my TAC-65. At first I used cheap lead nosed rounds, oops, don't do that. The lead build up was unbelievable. It will cause problems. I not only use jacketed rounds. Clean the suppressor about every 2000 rounds, or after the week-end of shooting it. I can run around 5000 rounds in a week-end and that is the max before cleaning.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thanks for all the info guys! Ill get pics here in the next couple of days. Right now all I have it on is a P22, but I'm working on an adapter for an SP22 (very similar to the P22), and a threaded barrel for my 10-22. At some point I want a bolt action rifle for the ultimate quite, probably a CZ.

pappy56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Hancock County
    Thanks for all the info guys! Ill get pics here in the next couple of days. Right now all I have it on is a P22, but I'm working on an adapter for an SP22 (very similar to the P22), and a threaded barrel for my 10-22. At some point I want a bolt action rifle for the ultimate quite, probably a CZ.

Clay,

Where are you looking to get a 10/22 barrel from?
    I just ordered one from hi-desertdog. It is a new take off cut to 16.25" with no sights and it comes with the thread protector.

KWL
    pappy56

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well, I hadn't thought of that option, BUT Ive got quite a few friends who are machinists, so I was going to have them machine the end of an extra 10-22 barrel just like what your talking about. Ive got 2 or 3 extra barrels laying around, but I think I might look into that place you got yours to see what the cost is.

thanks,
    clay

pappy56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Hancock County
    I got my hi-desertdog 10/22 barrel yesterday in the mail.
    I have to say that is a factory Ruger minus the sights very well done with the thread protector. In my opinion it was well worth the money.

KWL
    pappy56

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    What are you going to be shooting it out of? My P22 will not "crack" with high velicity rounds. But my 10-22 will and my sig mosquitto will about every other round.

The most common .22lr ammo is "high velocity" which is 1250 fps. The speed of sound at sea level is 1120 FPS. Keep in mind the speed of sound increases with temp increases.

There is also "standard velocity" which is 1150 FPS. I have some remington standard velocity. It does not break the sound barrier in the pistols but DOES out of the 1022.

Fiochi and winchester sub sonic will not cycle either of the pistols. Any of it will cycle the 1022.

I like Remington SubSonic myself. But the P22 is quiet with any of it.

Top Bottom