• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I want some comfortable & durable hiking boots. Preferably black, weatherproof, and about mid-height.

Any recommendations? It would be great to try some on, but I haven't found a place in NWI to suit me yet.

Brand & model please! Thanks!!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I usually gravitate to Danner, Rocky, or Wolverine. An internet search will generate lots of info...

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Danner makes some great boots. I switched over to them for my duty boots several years ago and they are the most comfortable I've ever worn. My sister who is still in the Army and her husband who is retired from the Army also sing Danner's praises. I know they've done a lot of "hiking" in their Danners :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I sold hiking/work boots for two years. I could probably get you specs and ratings, but honestly - probably no two people on this site will like the exact same style of the same brand of anything for the same reasons.

Edit:
    Never mind the rest of what was here, I can't get my hands on the newest spec sheets and they've all changed.
    Sorry I spoke too soon.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    SHTF Boots

Thanks for everybody's suggestions so far. If there was a decent retailer of that kind of thing I would go in person to try them on. But in Northwest Indiana, I have yet to find the right place. Keep the suggestions coming.

What all are you doing in them besides hiking? Do you ride a bike? Are you gonna also use them at work where you'd need safety compliance specs?

Not working in them most likely. I just sold my motorcycle but if I got another it would be nice to be able to use them for riding as well.

But mainly, hiking, and stomping zombies' skulls.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Here's where I get my boots from: U.S. Cavalry - Proudly Serving Military and Law Enforcement Professionals

And, here's the boots I wear (Spring, Summer, and Fall):

Corcoran® II 10" Field Boot

5575.jpg

I find them to be real comfortable, great ankle support, and cool temperature inside. However, they only last me about two years of hard wear (especially when I have a hard landing when skydiving). Made in the USA!

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I like my Altama Boots. They come in almost as many styles as you can think of: Good price and well made. Many are made in the Great State of Georga, USA too. However, some are not. I recommend you check with them.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've been looking for a good pair of work boots lately to purchase soon myself. I like a safety toe myself, doesn't have to be steel but something to provide extra protection on the farm or at work. I've been looking pretty hard at the Timberland Pro's after a recomendation from one of the guys at work. He said they were some of the lightest and longest lasting boots he's had. I compared them to similar wolverines in weight, and they were noticeably lighter. Which would make a big difference hiking or being on your feet all day working like me. I'll try them on next time I'm back at TSC and see how comfy they are.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've been looking for a good pair of work boots lately to purchase soon myself. I like a safety toe myself, doesn't have to be steel but something to provide extra protection on the farm or at work. I've been looking pretty hard at the Timberland Pro's after a recomendation from one of the guys at work. He said they were some of the lightest and longest lasting boots he's had. I compared them to similar wolverines in weight, and they were noticeably lighter. Which would make a big difference hiking or being on your feet all day working like me. I'll try them on next time I'm back at TSC and see how comfy they are.
    I have a pair of Timberland Pro's, 6" w/Metguard. I got them because a metatarsal guard was required by my employer, and they were rated to withstand 600 volts (worked with 480v 3-phase a lot). The boots were comfortable, but one of the eyelets broke in the first week (during normal wear), the leather at the top of the boot began separating from the rest of the boot, and I went through 3 sets of boot strings, all in 6 months.

I had a pair of Doc Marten's steel toe boots that I wore for two years. I only stopped wearing them because my employer changed their boot policy and I stepped on scrap steel I had just finished cutting off with an oxy-acet. torch and melted the sole to the point that a wet concrete floor could get interesting...

Both of these boots are in the $100-130 range and if you are comfortable spending that for boots, check these out: Michelin Mens Michelin Sledge Steel Toe Metatarsal Guard XPX761 | ArmyNavyUSA.com An 8" boot of the same model is also available, and the cheapest place I found them. My dad has had these boots (he is the senior engineer where I was employed, lay-offs suck) for a year and they have the original laces, no holes or flat spots in the tread, and he doesn't treat his boots nicely.

Any of these boots can take well over 120 degree surfaces without melting (witnessed it or did it myself), but the Doc Marten's and Michelins hold up the best.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    BLACKHAWKS!!!!

Great field boot. Plus they have a one year warrenty on them.

Or

Danners!

Also have a one year warrenty. Have exclusively worn Danners as my cold weather extreme cold weather combat boots...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    lawrra thanks for telling me about those timberland boots. Sound almost as bad as the kmart cheapos I'm currently wearing. I'll prob stay away from them after all. Sounds like alot of people are recommending the Danner brand boots though. I'll have to look some into them. Just gotta find somewhere that sells them as I don't know of any around here.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    lawrra thanks for telling me about those timberland boots. Sound almost as bad as the kmart cheapos I'm currently wearing. I'll prob stay away from them after all. Sounds like alot of people are recommending the Danner brand boots though. I'll have to look some into them. Just gotta find somewhere that sells them as I don't know of any around here.
    Just passing along my crappy experience :D. I have Kmart cheapos that have lasted longer, it's sad.

I should check out these Danners that everyone keeps talking about. I just have Field & Stream Thinsulate boots with Gore-Tex for tromping around in the woods.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I like North Face boots. They are toasty warm and more utilitarian.

AAF3_002_1_201x201.jpg

These are what I usually wear to the range and what not. I know they are not black, but you may want to check out Adidas (maybe the GSG9 boots are more to your liking):

Top Bottom