• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dannyusmc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Hello everyone. this is my first post or "question" i have. me and my buddy were arguing today about this. In the state of Indiana, am I allowed to carry my shotgun while walking down city streets. every law i have looked at always refers to a handgun but nothing about carrying a shotgun. i know you are probably asking yourself why, well, all my friends carry handguns with them and i told them i am just going to start carrying my shotgun with me. if i ever did this, i know the police would probably be informed but what law would i be breaking if i ever did this. i am a United States Marine and i figure i have earned the right to carry a shotgun (or whatever kind of gun) wherever i go. if anybody could help, please do. email me at devildog5m@hotmail.com. thank you.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    You are legally allowed to carry a long gun down the street with no permits or licenses required. That much is true.

HOWEVER, you would definitely be opening yourself up to people calling the police on you. Not saying that they are right for doing so, but I can pretty much guarantee that it WILL happen.

So if you do it...have somebody video it. You'll probably wind up in jail; you'll win eventually, as long as you don't break any laws while doing it, but you'll only win after a long and drawn out court battle, unfortunately.

Robgoody6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Greensburg
    Do not know about going to jail (depends on where you live) but someone or many people will probably call police. Especially if people are not use to see people with long guns.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    100   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    First off, Semper Fi.

I had this same idea when I was 18 when I read the Indiana law about possessing guns and it only mentions handguns, therefore you are legally allowed to walk down the street with a long gun, I bet some mom (thinking in the best interest of her kids 'Evil Gun = my dead child') would be looking out her kitchen window would call the police on you and be shouting "police! there is a man with a gun walking toward my house! I'm scarred" even tho you are not breaking any laws, the cops would still be obligated to come investigate. And then it depends on how they handle the situation, they might do a feonly arrest on you, guns drawn screaming at you to get on the ground, if they were cooler cops they would probably just stop you and ask what you're doing, in which case you'd say you're walking down the street to go for a walk or whatever, then they'd want to see your ID, keeping in mind that you're not doing anything illegal you can choose to show them and have them run your name for warrents or politely refuse and **** them off, from then you might wind up with obstruction of justice or something, similar if you dont comply. Its basically a whole lot of hassle, and they will put your name in the system so when next week you're walking down the street with your shotgun they will probably be familar with you. Its just a situation where even tho you are not breaking any laws, other people's fear of you is enough cause to have police hassle you. Looking at it from their prospective if somebody called the police and said a man with a shotgun was walking down the street and they told them its not illegal to do so, if you went and commited a crime the department would be sued for wrongful death or whatever because they didnt follow up a call of "a man with a gun." A suprising amount of folks like to do this same thing, and video tape it citing open carry laws as officers ask them for some identification and then they refuse to show.

If you watch both videos you'll notice both guys are Marines, I thought that was funny.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UMdniHWkI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKA3V_vd07c[/ame]

Top Bottom