• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Real driving classes are expensive because they are tough on cars. Plus, having a suitable location where you can set up a course is often problematic. Liability is also high.

Getting people to pony up a few bucks for some gun training is tough enough. There's serious sticker shock when shopping for good driving instruction.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Real driving classes are expensive because they are tough on cars. Plus, having a suitable location where you can set up a course is often problematic. Liability is also high.

Getting people to pony up a few bucks for some gun training is tough enough. There's serious sticker shock when shopping for good driving instruction.

You are right Shay. I was planning on about $1,000, it looks like that might be a little low for the top schools like Scotti.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You are right Shay. I was planning on about $1,000, it looks like that might be a little low for the top schools like Scotti.

I for one, am not looking for a top school. I cannot justify the costs without a financial professional interest involved.

I am looking for local and affordable. A beat-to-crap demolition derby ready car in an abandoned (or state owned) parking lot is the kind of overhead I'm looking to help cover. I have no problem self insuring and signing off on whatever necessary.

Mercop gave enough professional driving info in a half hour of classroom work that peaked my interest. That small amount of training, without hands on wheel, changed the way I drive, physically and mentally.

I know there is professional driving instruction done locally. There have been write ups in the newspaper about local LEO's instruction. Anybody know anything about this?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I know there is professional driving instruction done locally. There have been write ups in the newspaper about local LEO's instruction. Anybody know anything about this?

All of the LEO driving classes I've heard of were done through the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in Plainfield. I don't think they are typically offered to non-LEO participants.

That being said, I work with a guy who went to a class at the ILEA that was set up by his company. The company had a number of fleet cars, trucks, and other equipment and they wanted to get some training for people who travel by car frequently. It was a relatively big company in the area and I believe they had it set up specifically for them. It was not something offered to the public. I also don't think it was necessarily self-defense, evasion, or combat zone oriented. It was more about controlling the car in high speed or unexpected situations. I will ask him about it next time I get a chance.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I taught High Threat Driving for two years as a Combat Skills Instructor for DOD. Right around 1300 students. I do private training with people in their cars.- George

tyr1toby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    The last driving school I attended was the GM proving grounds school in Mesa AZ before they moved to Uma. Did some real good high speed and practical stuff. I have been considering expanding my business to include some driving classes but as someone previously stated the overhead for that endeavor is huge. For now my driving instruction will have to be confined to the PD's that I teach for and the ILEA

IntelJunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Michigan
    I'm looking for a 1-day Evasive/Tactical driving course within about 300 mi of Detroit. It would be for a group of 10 or so, targeting late October.

If anyone has the training and would be interested in instructing, please PM me, and we can explore details. I would reach out to some of you who posted on the thread, but I'm new to the site so can't initiate personal messages yet.

Thanks,
    IntelJunkie

Top Bottom