• Which SHTF LBE system to choose?

• Total voters

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Ok so we have the BOB 101 thread. everyone everywhere who knows S may HTF has one and knows how to use it.

But what about the 24-48 hour kit that is mobile and next to level 1 equipment as it can get?

Poll and post why :)

Last edited:

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    i would say just a basic plate carrier with pouches, pre-fab, that way yer not tempted to slap a bunch of extra crap on it and get stuck like winnie the pooh. wanna carry extra? buy a back-pack

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well the way to do it is to have a modular system that has different layers that does different things. If you have to strip off your armor you still need to have your basic survival load out on you at all times and that can be different for different people i guess. This is why you need to train with what your going to use. Don't get hung up on armor if you don't even know how to fight, is another recommendation.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Personally, if the SHTF badly enough for me to need to carry that which I have on a plate carrier/vest, then it's likely I'll need the armor at any unpredictable time. I cannot predict when or how the S will HTF, therefore I prepare in a general sense to cover as many bases as possible while avoiding things which are unecessary (like multiples of the same thing for different purposes.)

My own vest method for SHTF is a molle plate carrier with soft armor inserts and plates. Military surplus would work just fine for me. In fact, I prefer it because I can still throw on the gear and look the part of active military if a situation ever required it. As far as plates go, I prefer the steel for this instance because they aren't fragile. Since we don't know how long the S will be HTF, the steel plates will last and have the ability to absorb MUCH more over longer periods of time.

Hunter87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I just have the enhanced LBV for my bug out vest. But instead of loading every pouch with magazines, I only keep 4 mags, and use the other vest for med supplies, fire starters, etc. They are not the most practical vest out the by far, but if you're looking for a low budget vest, it is the way to go.
    Plus you can attach all kinds of other pouches to make it as heavy/light as you desire.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is what I do. I run one of two SOE chest rigs, over a Tactical Tailor slick plate carrier stuffed with soft III and ceramic plates. This gives me options. I can use the plate carrier under clothing, without the rig, or I can use either rig, without the armor, if I want-like if I'm in the woods and water 50/50, all the time.

e193964b-4163-4dd8-87ac-d09859f2d8c7_zpsd38e724c.jpg
    This is my SOE AK/M4 rig. PALS modular, with IFAK, and two smoke pouches, and a hydration carrier on the back.

15a3c7ce-ad84-46a2-bdb1-6b9b950a450c_zps4fd56491.jpg
    These are two other SOE set ups. The one on the right is a PALs microrig with Rallyman pouches, small IFAK and 2 smokes. The one on the left is the WETSU Pico rig, and carries a spare pistol mag, rifle mag, IFAK and internal admin pouch, and can be worn under clothing for low pro.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    As far as plates go, I prefer the steel for this instance because they aren't fragile. Since we don't know how long the S will be HTF, the steel plates will last and have the ability to absorb MUCH more over longer periods of time.

There's a new kid on the block on that makes rifle-stopping plates THAT FLOAT!!

http://dkxarmor.com/

[video=youtube;RKbGy4AgzXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbGy4AgzXM[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have a chest rig thread. I keep stuff in my utility pouch on my chest rig--knife, couple of granola bars, sewing kit, baby wipes, IWB, medical tape, couple of tampons, lube, etc.

I keep a medical bag in the vehicles too.

Are you looking for like an inventory of those set ups? Confused by what is requested.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    Not sure what I plan on doing. I have a Blackhawk Quick Release Molle Plate Carrier that I have never used. I am thinking of going the battle belt route and switching out the Blackhawk to a smaller plate carrier or a slick one.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is what I do. I run one of two SOE chest rigs, over a Tactical Tailor slick plate carrier stuffed with soft III and ceramic plates. This gives me options. I can use the plate carrier under clothing, without the rig, or I can use either rig, without the armor, if I want-like if I'm in the woods and water 50/50, all the time.

View attachment 19910
    This is my SOE AK/M4 rig. PALS modular, with IFAK, and two smoke pouches, and a hydration carrier on the back.

View attachment 19911
    These are two other SOE set ups. The one on the right is a PALs microrig with Rallyman pouches, small IFAK and 2 smokes. The one on the left is the WETSU Pico rig, and carries a spare pistol mag, rifle mag, IFAK and internal admin pouch, and can be worn under clothing for low pro.
    ^^ this is the way it's done boys and girls. Take notes.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    For me it would depend on type of crisis as no chesy rig is my preference. I have an eagle setup for my ar and pistol if I need it. I would like a plate carrier soon but training classes have been priority lately

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    We have a chest rig thread. I keep stuff in my utility pouch on my chest rig--knife, couple of granola bars, sewing kit, baby wipes, IWB, medical tape, couple of tampons, lube, etc.

I keep a medical bag in the vehicles too.

Are you looking for like an inventory of those set ups? Confused by what is requested.

I will start up a thread for contents in time. I am looking for a choice in rigging (belt or MOLLE for instance as poll allows)

^^ this is the way it's done boys and girls. Take notes.

This is a great perspective but this is not about just a fighting load but also a sustainment load for 24-48 hours. Ammo is a requirement but can you survive for 24+ hours with just the rig?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Have a molle vest with all the pouches and hydro carrier. Not a big fan of carrying the weight of plates around, unless it is the full on zombie apocalypse. An IOTV weighs a ton and takes some getting used to. I like the idea of being able to put a plate under clothing. Those "poly" plates up-thread look promising but expensive to kit up. All things aside, with the lack of adequate trauma care, evac and surgical meds, I am going plateless. If the need for plates is a priority, there will be plenty of gear laying around to be salvaged, if need be.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I will start up a thread for contents in time. I am looking for a choice in rigging (belt or MOLLE for instance as poll allows)

This is a great perspective but this is not about just a fighting load but also a sustainment load for 24-48 hours. Ammo is a requirement but can you survive for 24+ hours with just the rig?
    Read my first post. I addressed that issue.

Top Bottom