• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Where can I find lightweight tactical vests, at a decent affordable price? LAPG has some, but are way out of my price range.

I'm hoping to find some under $50.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I once had a UTG tactical vest. I thought it looked cool. When I got it, I tried it on and realized that it looked goofy. On top of that, I never used it, because the pouches were all in the wrong places, and it wasn't comfortable nor stable.

All the better quality vests are $100+ too, which is pricey when you compare that to other designs like chest rigs and war belts.

What is your intended purpose?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Christmas gift for my uncle. He teaches shooting sports for kids. And he wears a orange hunting vest with several pockets. It's old and ratty now. He needs a new one, but has to be lightweight for the hot weather.

I thought something like that would be a good gift.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Christmas gift for my uncle. He teaches shooting sports for kids. And he wears a orange hunting vest with several pockets. It's old and ratty now. He needs a new one, but has to be lightweight for the hot weather.

In that case, as it sounds like he needs the pockets more for storage than for accessing under stress, you could probably get away with a UTG or similar vest.

Here is the Condor version of the vest I had: Condor Tactical Cross Draw Vest New Low Price

As mentioned above, Cwood is a Condor dealer I believe, and could hook you right up.

Something a little less "tactical" would be a 5.11 Vest like this one: 5.11 Tactical Vests - Cotton Vest

They have a lightweight version too: CopsPlus.com: 511 Tactical TacLite Pro Vest (80008)

For REALLY lightweight, you could try one with mesh, like this: Bob Allen Sportswear Mesh Shooting Vest (For Men)

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I am a Condor, Blackhawk and 5.11 dealer. If there is something you are looking for drop me a PM and I will see what I can do for you.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    5.11 Tactical Vests - Cotton Vest

I was really liking this one. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

If you want something along those lines, I'd say got buy a vest at Gander Mountain, and some extra fabric, velcro strips and elastic bands and customize the crap out of it. You can easily transform a basic photographers/every-day-joe vest to fit your "tactical" needs. You could even buy an uncle mikes holster, cut off the plastic clip and sew in into the vest.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Those Gen II vests that sparky241 was talking about work pretty well. Six 30 round mags on the vest and more mag pouches on the web belt.
    Doubt that you'll be able to utilize the grenade pouches for their intended purpose, but I use them for my gloves at times.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I have both the 5.11 tactical vest and the Eotac lightweight vest. The 5.11 is double layered, and fairly heavy. Lots of pockets, and really makes the better 'tactical' vest. The Eotac is much lighter in weight, and I use it for IDPA and any time else I need a cover vest. Just my :twocents:. -- Greg

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I honestly hope by "tactical vest" you mean a IDPA type vest,

534667.jpg

In which case I can reccomend the Woolrich Elite Lightweight.

And not some goofy peice of junk like this

mgs_vest4.jpg

Please, PLEASE buy your uncle the first one, no need to look like a toolbag in front of kids :)

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    You can piece together a decent Tactical Tailor rig used for about that. They make some good kits.

Top Bottom