• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Taking my wife and 2 girls shooting tomorrow at Wilber Wright. I got the girls their first rifle (savage mark 2). Their have even agreed to try my Glock 19. My youngest ( 9yo ) is very excited. My oldest (11yo) is a little reserved. She is very unsure about guns so this is a big step for her. I have had a sudden rush of memories of my dad grinding into me all the safety protocols. I've coached them in volleyball and basketball but I seem to be a little nervous about this. I wanna do it right. I don't want to scare them but I want them to have a healthy respect and fear of them. I realize they are common sense but a little positive re-enforcement from peers always helps.:)
    Here is what I remember: (feel free to add or reorganize if needed)
    1 Never point the firearm at a person.
    2 Never put your finger on the trigger until aimed down range and ready to fire.
    3 Never look down the barrel
    4 Treat all firearms as if they are loaded
    5 Know what is behind the target
    6 Always use ear protection
    7 Never handle a weapon when people are down range
    8 Know the ammo for the weapon

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    If I wasn't still waiting on the replacement extractor pin for my P22, you could have taken it out there with you. Maybe next time.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I would maybe move #4 up to #1, and add eye protection. I always try to shoot something like a full can of soda with a .22 when shooting with new or young shooters. To show them the destruction the bullet is capable of . Oh and show them to keep the range clean. Have FUN!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I always try to shoot something like a full can of soda with a .22 when shooting with new or young shooters. To show them the destruction the bullet is capable of .

:yesway: Good idea... I bought my 11yo a 10/22 about a month or so ago and she loves it. She does really well and has been very meticulous when following the protocol I have given her at the range.

However, I was trying to think of a way to show her that just because her little 10/22 is easy for a kid to shoot... it can still be DEADLY.

I think I will try the soda can thing

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Make them aware of the safety rules and they will enjoy it. Here's a couple of pictures of my 13 year old grand daughter the first time she went shooting:
    Lacie-9mm.jpg

Lacie-3914.jpg

I know she had an odd hold on the pistol but since it was her first time I didn't want to spoil her fun by correcting every point. Since then she has her hold, aim and control down. And the camera was remotely activated. No one was in front of her elbows. That's the rule I've always used and enforced. That give s a small safety zone.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    DanVoils:
    She looks very comfortable with the rifle. It seems you have taught her well. My youngest really wants a Hi-point carbine. She also wants a Barrett .50 cal. I think we'll have to wait on the .50 since she is 9 and hasn't broke 50llbs yet. I have a rule: if you can't fire it standing up you can't fire it. And it's too much money.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    DanVoils:
    She looks very comfortable with the rifle. It seems you have taught her well. My youngest really wants a Hi-point carbine. She also wants a Barrett .50 cal. I think we'll have to wait on the .50 since she is 9 and hasn't broke 50llbs yet. I have a rule: if you can't fire it standing up you can't fire it. And it's too much money.
    I wish I had a .50 for you to borrow because I would love to see that. :):

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I wish I had a .50 for you to borrow because I would love to see that. :):

We went to the 1500 in Jan. you should of seen her when she saw a static display of a .50. She walked by a box of dummy .50 rounds, glanced at it, and with out breaking stride or missing a beat she said: "hmmm you'll only need one shot with those". She told me her next gun has to have a scope, semi or full auto, lazer, and a "bottle" at the end of it to make it quiet. I think I need to monitor her tv more closely.:rolleyes:

BTW I love the Iphone prank you posted on facebook. Cracked me up

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    We went to the 1500 in Jan. you should of seen her when she saw a static display of a .50. She walked by a box of dummy .50 rounds, glanced at it, and with out breaking stride or missing a beat she said: "hmmm you'll only need one shot with those". She told me her next gun has to have a scope, semi or full auto, lazer, and a "bottle" at the end of it to make it quiet. I think I need to monitor her tv more closely.:rolleyes:

BTW I love the Iphone prank you posted on facebook. Cracked me up
    Every gun needs a bottle on the end! At least the kid knows what she wants. :yesway:

Yea, I thought changing what her phone called her was pretty clever. :):

I was told 7-10 days from March 1st on the pins, so I'm hoping they show up today. I didn't get a tracking number, only an order number that I know not what to do with.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think 8 rules make it a little too complicated.
    I usually go with 4
    1. The gun is always loaded.
    2. Finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    3. Never point the gun at something, unless you are ready to destroy it.
    4. Make sure the target area is safe.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uytPO0UaDM&list=FLcgAGM5InrQDOZk152gIWnw&feature=mh_lolz[/ame]

Yes, I also believe in your other rules.
    But I keep these 4 separate.
    These are the GUN rules.
    If you get too fancy, it's too hard.

And I'm glad that you are teaching your girls. Too many women don't know anything about guns, because "Dad always took their brothers."
    There is no reason for that. Girls are just as good with guns, sometimes better, because they listen.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    DanVoils:
    I think she enjoys the rifle a lot more than the pistol. I've added a red dot and fore grip to it as well as smoothed out the trigger. I'm looking to pickup a case or two of 9mm at the next 1500 for us to shoot. If I can ever get over to MCF&G I'm going to renew my ancient membership so we'll have a closer place to shoot.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    I always try to shoot something like a full can of soda with a .22 when shooting with new or young shooters. To show them the destruction the bullet is capable of . Oh and show them to keep the range clean. Have FUN!

Sounds like a great idea. Be sure and keep the targets relatively close and large so as not to discourage. Hope it goes great.

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    DanVoils:

I have a rule, "If I can't afford it, you can't shoot it." LOL

Have fun with the family. Can't wait til mine are old enough to start shooting.

Top Bottom