• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigmachirev

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I love taking people to the range with me. I think it is our duty as gun owners to teach those who are not. I took a young man with me to the range yesterday (15 year old). He had such a good time. by the end of the day his quote was "I need to get a job so I can save up to buy a hand gun". Music to my ears.

Everyone that reads this should commit to taking someone new to the range by the End of the month. You will change someone's life.

Teach Safety
    Teach Respect
    Teach accuracy
    Teach how to have fun

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I do this several times a year. Costs me money and it's really not much fun for me (as I'm mostly babysitting them instead of shooting myself). The people always enjoy it, and many of them get into shooting after the trip. Always good to be an ambassador for the sport.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I try to do this with my cousins. I have one cousin in particular that loves to shoot my G23, but doesn't quite understand how much $$ the ammo is. I'll hand her a loaded mag, and she'll mag dump, not hit the target once, and ask me for another mag with a smile on her face. At least she's having fun I guess.

Sigmachirev

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I try to do this with my cousins. I have one cousin in particular that loves to shoot my G23, but doesn't quite understand how much $$ the ammo is. I'll hand her a loaded mag, and she'll mag dump, not hit the target once, and ask me for another mag with a smile on her face. At least she's having fun I guess.

:) yes I hear you. I have load not to load the mags all the way. I normally only put 5 rounds per. As I originally stated this time the new shooter was 15 years old and has no concept of cost of ammo.

Last edited:

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    Tuesday hat grandson (9)at home shooting range moving up from bb gun to 22lr .Started with old Win. model 60 by the end of the day it was the 1022 with scope . I have never seen such a big smile had a great time. (about 250 rounds) At the end of the day I asked what he had learned 1. keep finger off trigger till shooting 2. keep gun up when not shooting 3. if friend get his dads gun out leave get away . Times like these is what we live for. :)

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I did this about 3 weeks ago and taught my niece to shoot. She's a 19 year old conservative and goes to Purdue.
    I started her out on my Ruger SR22, which she loved. Then moved up to my Glock 19, then to my Glock 22, then back to the SR22.

It's always funny to see a person's reaction to shooting a pistol for the first time, especially when it's a 22.
    They are usually so intimidated and think the 22 is so big and bad, then they shoot the 9mm, then the 40 cal.
    Before going home, I always have them shoot the 22 again, and their reaction is always the same... "what was I afraid of? This is nothing now!".
    They almost always start laughing when they pick up the 22 and shoot it after shooting a 9mm or 40 cal.
    :ingo:

Sigmachirev

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Proverbs 22:6
    Train up a child in the way he should go,
    And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Teach Early
    Teach Safety
    Teach Respect
    Teach Accuracy

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I took me step son and my nephew and his girlfriend right before the 4th of July. step son is 12 and never shot. was having issue with loud noises from being in iraq. so not only did I teach a new shooter I help a vet/family member with his issues.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    We take the kids and friends out to my in laws place in the country and shoot. Everyone loves it especially the kids. We even got our kids separate piggy banks for them to save up "ammo money" so we can teach them about the financial aspect of sport shooting. Its been a great lesson for them up until the hike in prices. Now we just make them save the money until they have the old price of ammo and we exchange it for ammo we have saved. They have their own shelf in the safe for their "ammo stash".

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    The best thing we can all do as gun owners and enthusiasts are to provide positive, responsible experiences in handling firearms to those willing to learn. Even for those who are against guns, it is our job to portray ourselves in as positive a light as possible to counter their preconceived notions of every gun owner looking like something Jeff Foxworthy routinely makes fun of.

The last person we took to the range was my 14 year old brother-in-law. He absolutely loved it and for the first time in his life he actually focused and paid complete attention to everything we told him. We didn't have to remind him one single time about the rules of safety. My mother-in-law was so excited that he had a good experience that she's dying to go to the range with us when she comes to town.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I grew up in a non gun loving home, so it was my parents friends and my friends parents that taught me how to shoot. So whenever I get the chance to take a beginner shooter I do!!

Voodoo574

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    South Bend/ Mishawaka
    I love taking my buddies and having them bring their wives or girlfriends with them. I bring my better-half so the girls are more at ease. We all have a good time and I get to introduce the shooting sports to new people and show the ladies that it is a great way to spend time with their men. My girl and I consider range time "quality time" with one another. Adding new faces to the sport just makes it that much better.:grabass:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Did it yesterday. Myself and a few friends took 2 new shooters out. Good time, all paid attention and were safe. I even shot a friends 12 ga SxS with dual triggers simultaneously. Last time I did that I was a scrawny teenager and thought I broke my shoulder but it was painless this time.

Only downside is that we went through a lot of my ammo. Time to get back to reloading. Need to get the brass clean first.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I do this at least once a month.

I've literally made it my duty to take friends, family members and younger ones (with parental approval) to the range and show them the basics and get comfortable with handling firearms safely.
    EVERY single trip has resulted in that person either showing a strong interest in them or at least has a positive mentality when it comes to "scary gun stuff". :-)

Top Bottom