• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I think we’d have to go back to before World War I, although I recall reading that until World War II the National Anthem was normally played before Major League Baseball games only on Opening Day and National Holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day).

Around the time of WW1, I’ve seen pictures of ballplayers carrying bats like (M1903 Springfield?) rifles while lined up along the baselines.
    That’s awesome! I figured it would have started with baseball since it’s the “American past time” but I’ve never seen those types of photos. I was a huge baseball fan until all the sports leagues started their bs. I wonder why it went from being played at holidays to being part of the pregame routine? Guessing it just gained so much support it was wanted to become common place before all games. Interesting

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The behavior predominant from one region to another, so very different.
    Something I never considered. New York and California were a lot different in those days also, so very possible it was more common there than in more rural cities with less population. Man that’s hard to think about knowing the way they are now.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That’s awesome! I figured it would have started with baseball since it’s the “American past time” but I’ve never seen those types of photos. I was a huge baseball fan until all the sports leagues started their bs. I wonder why it went from being played at holidays to being part of the pregame routine? Guessing it just gained so much support it was wanted to become common place before all games. Interesting

https://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events
    Why the Star-Spangled Banner is Played At Sporting Events
    The tradition began during a time of national sorrow

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    https://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events
    Why the Star-Spangled Banner is Played At Sporting Events
    The tradition began during a time of national sorrow
    Thank you! That article was awesome! Of course it had to be the Red Sox, my most hated team, but reading that was awesome!

Amazing end to the article also. Relates a lot to this thread actually

The anthem’s adoption also gave way to a new American pastime, almost as beloved as sports itself: complaining about people’s behavior during the national anthem. By 1954, Baltimore Orioles general manager Arthur Ehlers was already bemoaning fans he thought disrespected the anthem by talking and laughing during the song. Ehlers briefly stopped playing the anthem altogether, before relenting to pressure and reinstating it a month later.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was surprised at how late SSB became the national anthem, I would have thought in or around The One at the latest, but 1931 - middle of the Great Depression

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I kneel to pray. I knelt to propose.

I don't kneel for any other reason as a gesture.

I stand for the flag and the anthem.

Any scumbag who kneels during the national anthem is disrespecting the greatest nation in history and the people who sacrificed their lives, their limbs, their fortunes and their sacred honor to make us a free people and defend our nation.

They can all go straight to Hell.

Straight. To. Hell.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Something I never considered. New York and California were a lot different in those days also, so very possible it was more common there than in more rural cities with less population. Man that’s hard to think about knowing the way they are now.

It wasn't really that long ago that CA was a pretty Republican state.

Top Bottom