• ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Lucky?

is there a book on "girlfriend petrified of guns." my words of wisdom don't seem to help her make it to the range.

If she's not willing to be part of it, she still needs to know about it from an educational standpoint. If she's a long term potential mate it only makes sense that eventually she will be handling a weapon for transportation or other purposes. The last thing the world needs is another accident from an uneducated person handling a firearm. Ask her if she would be willing to help you clean your firearms and go over the basics of safety with her while doing it. When done ask if she would be willing to do a real gun safety class with professionals because you care about her safety and the safety of those around her if she might need to handle a gun. If she says no, then you did your best, if she says yes then you're a step closer to ensuring she will be properly educated. If after the safety class she still isn't willing to go to the range at least you know she knows gun safety and can hopefully trust her not to cause an accident that could have been prevented through education.

I know there are a lot of 4H shooting sports programs in the state and it's almost spring so they're getting ready to gear up. You might contact a local 4H representative and ask if you might sit in on the gun safety class they give with your girlfriend. I know when I went through it many a year ago there were several adults present for the class as well.

Hope some portion of my suggestion might be helpful.

To the OP. When my wife and I went to the range the first time, I just focused on her being safe and understanding proper procedure instead of shooting and letting her "do her thing" she appreciated the attention given and the instruction and aid provided as it helped her hit the target. When you go my only suggestion would be to ensure proper safety by her, let her shoot first, watch what she does pay attention and let her know you're there to clear her misfeeds when she limp wrists her first shots with a pistol. Just be there for her.

what I get for going idle I guess, you already went and had a good time. Grats on the successful outing!

Last edited:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    what I get for going idle I guess, you already went and had a good time. Grats on the successful outing!
    Don't worry about that. Lots of useful info in that post for others to read as well. As mentioned, the weather is starting to warm up and we will have first time shooters going out. Your post is beneficial. Thanks for posting it.:yesway:

cannonball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Crown Point
    Ah, the "when did you get THAT gun?" question. I've heard it many times before. I can't use the old "this old thing?" anymore, so I just tell her that she should remember this, I showed it to her before. To some women, they all look alike. :):

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Make sure you compliment her shoes.

How about you go SHOE SHOPPING with her! :rockwoot: Go to DSW or the like and follow her around. When she picks up a pair of "XYZ" brand shoes tell her "Wow, XYZ's?, for only $29.95? (or whatever) that is a steal!" Do a fist bump and say, "You go girl!" "Why, those will match anything!"

Afterwards, take her for lunch to get waaay overpriced pasta, salads, or sushi...you get the picture. Tell her she looks thin and her butt looks great.

26 years of bliss has taught me a few things...:cool:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    is there a book on "girlfriend petrified of guns." my words of wisdom don't seem to help her make it to the range.

I may be able to help.

You're in Lafayette. Sign her and yourself up for the NSSF "First-Shots" program at Applied Ballistics.
    It's a free introductory safety course sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation. It's held the second Saturday of each month.

It consists of classroom instruction as well as actual firing.

It is free of charge, but you need to call to register for the class due to class-size limitations.

This is a very laid-back class and everyone comes out with a smile on their face.

I've been volunteering to teach these classes for just over a year now. I just taught three classes yesterday as a matter of fact.
    Sometimes it helps to have another voice (besides yours) to help your agenda along.

Call them up and take advantage of it. Ask about the "First-Shots" classes.
    Applied Ballistics
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909

765-838-0700
    Closed Monday and Tuesday

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    ...I did hear "when did you get that gun?"....

I USED to hear...."How many guns do you have?" to which I would answer "enough" or "one less than I want". However, recently, I likened my gun collection to a shoe collection. I said, "Buying guns is like buying shoes.....the difference is, when I'm done with it....there is still residual value in it and I can sell it for 70-80% minimum of what I bought it for. Can't do that with shoes.". So now, she doesn't ask anymore. In fact, just yesterday in a conversation unrelated to firearms, I asked her with a smile, "How many pair of shoes do you have?".....she answered, "enough". lol!

So she "understands" now....at least enough that IF she does ask these days...she asks only in jest. (In fact she has claimed my FNX-9 as her own, and after her last trip to the range she asked me how many 1911s I had, and when I said two, she replied with, "Oh good, one for you and one for me!" lol....apparently "hers" is the Ruger SR1911).

Top Bottom