• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    @whitley: when you say strop at 2 degrees less, you mean like go from 15 deg grind (per side) for example and strop at 13? I've read similar that you dont want to actually strop the very apex, you want to strop just behind it (hence the reduced angle). The idea is that the slight conformability of the strop will give you the last two degrees or so and just kiss the apex without rolling it over.
    Yes, leather has a softer surface and will degrade the edge if too much time is spent stropping. Also, use green rouge (chromium oxide) which is less aggressive than the Tormek stropping paste. Follow with with blue or pink (scratchless) rouge. I use a cheap 1x30 or my Reeder 2x72 with leather belt to do the stropping, not the leather wheel on the Tormek. Proper placement of the edge to the strop is very important. 1.5 - 2 degrees less than grind angle is generally the recommended stropping angle. In general the sharpest edge will have a satin finish with few grind lines, not a mirror edge. Everybody strives for a razor edge, but you wouldn't cut a tomato with a saw or a 2x4 with a razor blade. Match the edge (toothy for hard use pocket/hunting knife or razor edge for kitchen knives) with the job the blade will be used for.
    Regards,
    Stu

Top Bottom