• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    OK so to start off, I am a complete noob when it comes to wheel guns. :n00b: I've shot a few and always thought they were fun. I've finally decided to add one to my collection, but have no idea where to start. I've been doing a lot of research and the names that always come up are S&W, Colt, and Ruger. Here are some criteria that I am using in my search:

-Primary use is for fun at the range/home defense and the occasional carry in the woods/camping trips
    -Must be a quality gun that will last and I can pass down to my kids (when I eventually have them)
    -Open to either blued or stainless, but leaning more toward stainless
    -Looking at a DA/SA in 357/38 spl chambering so the wifey will enjoy shooting it (she has soft baby hands and doesnt shoot too often :ugh:)
    -Hoping to stay under $800-ish, but willing to pay a little bit more for the "perfect" wheel gun

Doing a few searches and reading some internet talk, a lot of people like the S&W 686 and Ruger GP100/SP101 (not sure what the difference is between the two). Now my questions are:

1) What size barrel should I be looking at? or is it just more of a preference? I'm kind of leaning toward 4" or 6" from what others have said.
    2) I saw a few that have unfluted cylinders, is there a major difference between fluted and unfluted?
    3) Round-butt vs sqaure-butt grip?
    4) What kind of price range am I looking at for my list of wants?

I recently moved out to Arizona and one of the LGS has a few that I looked at:

S&W 686 Plus Unfluted Talo Model
    150854.jpg
    7-shot, .357, 5" barrel, unfluted cylinder, round butt hardwood laminate with 3-5-7 logo
    Price: $829.99

S&W 686 Plus 357 4"
    SW164194.large.jpg
    7-shot, .357, 4" barrel, fluted cylinder, rubber grips
    Price: $749.99

Ruger GP100 Match Champion
    gp100matchchampionartopn.jpg
    6-shot, .357, 4.2" barrel, fiber optic front sight, fixed rear sight, Hogue stippled hardwood grips
    Price: $799.99

Ruger SP101 357 4.2"
    5771.jpg
    5-shot, .357, 4.2" barrel, fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear sight, black rubber/engraved wood grips
    Price: 579.99

Those were a few of the ones I looked at while lurking around the shop. Since I have no idea on pricing for wheel guns, I would love some input! Crazy-high/acceptable/that's a steal go buy it now? I'm definitely open to other brands, like I said I'm just starting my search and hoping to get some great advice from the INGO revolver guru's :bowdown:

Oh yeah, and they also had this for sale:

USED Colt Python
    20150115_130419.jpg
    8" barrel, .357
    Price: $2399.99 :drool::spend:

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I'm an S&W wheel gun guy all the way. Smooth as silk and much nicer finish. That 3-5-7 is cool just because I don't have a wheel gun with an unfluted cylinder.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You're certainly starting off on the right foot.

To me, there aren't many guns prettier than a 686+ with a 3 inch barrel, but the 4 inch is pretty much the perfect size for your criteria.

It's the next gun on my wish list and I told myself this would be the year I get one. We'll see.

The Ruger is a great gun too and is a solid first purchase, but if you've got the cash and want something to pass on to a child, you should go 686.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Colt currently doesn't make a DA revolver and Pythons today are, basically 'safe queens'.

I'm a S&W fan, but hold nothing against the Rugers. Carried a Mdl. 66, then the 686 for years. Great guns both, though personal preference was the 686.

For an EDC, the 4" may be a better choice. Unless you intend to use a shoulder rig, a 6" is a bit long for belt carry. JMO.

For the 'L' frame 686 series, there's also the choice between the 686 (6 rnds.) and the 686+ (7 rnds.).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Definitely go with either a 4" or 3", but either the 686 or the GP100 is an excellent choice.
    Unless you're intending it for range use only, a 6" barrel on a .357/.38 is unwieldy.
    The SP101 is a nice choice and probably the best one for a CCW, but, its lighter weight will make it a bit tougher to handle at the range.

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    Thanks for all of the input. Are the prices listed at this LGS for these revolvers typical? I just dont want to be paying way over for one. I don't mind paying for a quality piece, but I'd rather not get suckered in to paying more just because its a smith or GP100 match.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for all of the input. Are the prices listed at this LGS for these revolvers typical? I just dont want to be paying way over for one. I don't mind paying for a quality piece, but I'd rather not get suckered in to paying more just because its a smith or GP100 match.

Compare to places like impactguns.com or tombstone tsctical.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Since you mentioned sharing with your wife, the K frame options might be better than the L frame. I would suggest having her hold them and going with what she likes. Admittedly, I also am partial to S&W. I would suggest a 4 inch model 65 or 66 for stainless. Shop around. You should be able to find a used one under $600. Probably under $500.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Any of your choices r fine!! That unfluted Talo 686+ is sweet!!

I love my gp100 4" (and 4" is the jack of all trades, get smaller.if its.mostly for concealed carry) but would probably get am s&w now if i were to purchase again... don't worry, I'll keep my ruger and get an s&w eventually ;)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    also, I should point out:

1) Do you own another gun for home defense - preferably one with a light on it?
    2) IF you might ever compete with this gun, consider sticking to 6 shot guns for classification reasons (not 5 shot like the SP101 or 7 or 8 shot offerings from s&w)
    3) the 38/357 is awesome and is very UNintimidating for new shooters with 38 spl
    4) both can get trigger jobs (usually $75-100) and be very smooth afterwards. The GP100 match champ has a pretty good trigger from factory, and s&w triggers seem to be all over the place on smoothness (to me at least)
    5) you might also consider the 686 SSR model, and you should at least look at the 627 to see if that is a contender as well (8-shot, bigger frame, can use moonclips)

I have bought and sold half a dozen glocks, but am now a firm believer in the total badassery of wheelguns!! My current GP100 will always stay in the family. I'll always own a semiauto as well, but the beauty/simplicity/reliability of a revolver is very hard to beat. I also like the fact that my wife - who is not a big gun afficionado - instinctively knows how to work the revolver.
    Also, I ususally keep mine loaded with some hot 38+p ammo, because I can just imagine the concussion of shooting some fullpower 357s in my small townhouse.

One final note, the revolver is what helped me get into reloading -- it never loses brass, the calibers are easy to reload (straight wall), and the gun is not picky about reloads.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Your wheel gun purchase will the first of many. I am a fan of S&W 66 and 686. But since your wife is planning to shoot also I would buy the Sp101 4" first because of smaller frame and weight. It also will make a good walkabout gun. THEN look for nice clean no lock S&W's in Mod. 66 and 686. Just my very biased opinion. Good luck.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    OK so to start off, I am a complete noob when it comes to wheel guns. :n00b: I've shot a few and always thought they were fun. I've finally decided to add one to my collection, but have no idea where to start. I've been doing a lot of research and the names that always come up are S&W, Colt, and Ruger. Here are some criteria that I am using in my search:

-Primary use is for fun at the range/home defense and the occasional carry in the woods/camping trips
    -Must be a quality gun that will last and I can pass down to my kids (when I eventually have them)
    -Open to either blued or stainless, but leaning more toward stainless
    -Looking at a DA/SA in 357/38 spl chambering so the wifey will enjoy shooting it (she has soft baby hands and doesnt shoot too often :ugh:)
    -Hoping to stay under $800-ish, but willing to pay a little bit more for the "perfect" wheel gun

Doing a few searches and reading some internet talk, a lot of people like the S&W 686 and Ruger GP100/SP101 (not sure what the difference is between the two). Now my questions are:

1) What size barrel should I be looking at? or is it just more of a preference? I'm kind of leaning toward 4" or 6" from what others have said.
    2) I saw a few that have unfluted cylinders, is there a major difference between fluted and unfluted?
    3) Round-butt vs sqaure-butt grip?
    4) What kind of price range am I looking at for my list of wants?

I recently moved out to Arizona and one of the LGS has a few that I looked at:

S&W 686 Plus Unfluted Talo Model
    7-shot, .357, 5" barrel, unfluted cylinder, round butt hardwood laminate with 3-5-7 logo
    Price: $829.99

S&W 686 Plus 357 4"
    7-shot, .357, 4" barrel, fluted cylinder, rubber grips
    Price: $749.99

Ruger GP100 Match Champion
    6-shot, .357, 4.2" barrel, fiber optic front sight, fixed rear sight, Hogue stippled hardwood grips
    Price: $799.99

Ruger SP101 357 4.2"
    5-shot, .357, 4.2" barrel, fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear sight, black rubber/engraved wood grips
    Price: 579.99

Those were a few of the ones I looked at while lurking around the shop. Since I have no idea on pricing for wheel guns, I would love some input! Crazy-high/acceptable/that's a steal go buy it now? I'm definitely open to other brands, like I said I'm just starting my search and hoping to get some great advice from the INGO revolver guru's :bowdown:

Oh yeah, and they also had this for sale:

USED Colt Python

8" barrel, .357
    Price: $2399.99 :drool::spend:

To answer some of the questions that most posts have skipped:
    - get a four inch barrel. period. it's enough to get extra burn from .357 loads. Only reason to get smaller is for dedicated CCW, or larger would be for hunting/competition.
    - fluted vs non -- just save some weight. Otherwise the same, and since unfluted is less common, I think it's cooler
    - blued vs stainless -- preference. stainless is generally more durable, but blued has a certain appeal. Also (anyone confirm?) that the steel in buled is higher carbon and potentially stronger. That said, stainless is plenty strong
    - round butt vs square but -- preference. Square butt generally feel more comfortable and fill the grip, while round butt conceal better and still feel fine.
    - Gp100 vs SP101 - frame size is the difference. The SP101 is designed as a 5-shot, with the GP100 as a 6-shot. Most SP101 models are 2.25" or 3". You've found the only "longer" SP101 that they offer (they also have that same size in .22LR). This would be the perfect kit gun.
    - S&W 686 series - the "+" denotes that it is a 7-shot, which is awesome. The only reason to consider not getting it is for a competition gun that would change it's category.

Compare prices online with kygunco, buds, impactguns, palmettostatearmory, etc. Buy local if it's less than 5-7% difference. I only order online if it's 8% savings or more, because you have to consider FFL transfer, shipping, etc. Also, give the local guy a chance to price-match or at least meet in the middle to save you the hassle of ordering online. You might end up with a gun that has a stiff/gritty trigger since you couldn't feel it before buying it online.

Good thread, good luck.
    /endmyincessantramblingnow

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    S&W revolver wise all the current S&W revolvers are round butt configuration, unless some of the classic series are still square butt but I don't think that is the case.
    Funny that years ago lots of people had there Square butt guns converted to round butt and now that they are all round butt people want square butt. Tough to keep everyone happy.
    Butt(:laugh:) that is no problem as several grip manufactures make "conversion" grips that make a round butt feel like a square butt.

That is one of the beauties of a revolver is you can totally change the feel of the gun by switching the grips.

BTW If you every even consider a revolver in competition the 8 shot 627 S&W is THE GUN in USPSA, ICORE,and STEEL shooting. It Is also cool as hell for just casual shooting.

Top Bottom