• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Hey guys, I have been researching the craft of reloading like crazy for the past few months. I have decided that I want in on the fun. I made a wish list on Midway that I'm pretty confident in, but would like to enlist my fellow INGOers to help me tweak it.

For some quick back-story, I just moved into a house from an apartment, so I now have the Man Cave that I have been longing for. I am building a beefy bench to withstand the rigors of reloading. I am looking to get into more action shooting (I especially love steel shooting), and figured that reloading would pay for itself fairly quickly. I am well aware that I am making a lifetime investment, and, being only 25, I figured that there was no better time than the present. I'm sure that prices will only go up in the next <insert number here> years.

I know that the scale is a cheapy, but I wanted to get something quickly and look for something nicer (perhaps used) down the road. I already have a loading manual and an ultrasonic cleaner, but that is about it. I am figuring on going over to PSS to get some powder, primers, and maybe a couple of other little odds and ends. As you can see, I am starting with 9mm, but will eventually probably pick up .40, .45, and .458 Socom (tax refund? :D).

Please advise further! :yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Get in on a reloading class with Andrew (Profire Arms & Supply) as soon as possible. He can also provide you some good prices on any supplies you may need. I'm not sure if his prices are comparable to PSS, but he's always willing to make himself available to INGO members, and that's definitely a benefit.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    you might check out Atterbury and Indiana Gun Club. They have some good prices on components. I am a big fan of Hornady. I've yet to find anything of theirs that I'm not happy with. I especially like their LNL powder measure. You can get several different inserts so you don't have to change the powder charge everytime you change calibers.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    good lighting and no distractions. you dont really save any money you just end up shooting twice as much:rockwoot:

I'm down with that equation :D

Get in on a reloading class with Andrew (Profire Arms & Supply) as soon as possible. He can also provide you some good prices on any supplies you may need. I'm not sure if his prices are comparable to PSS, but he's always willing to make himself available to INGO members, and that's definitely a benefit.

Sounds like a plan. I have seen many of his posts; stand up guy from all accounts. Thanks for the recommendation.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Looking at your list, you should consider adding a caliper and bullet puller.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    LOL When I first opened your wish list link I thought it took me to MY wish list!

I just became the proud owner of a Hornady Lock-N-Load press myself. My awesome wife bought it for me for our 10th anniversary and I am floored at how well the thing works. And good call on the Hornady One Shot degreaser; it is needed to clean your dies and your powder measure, too.

I also bought Hornady dies, which are fantastic by the way, but I opted for the other set of Hornady 9mm dies. The 9mm set you currently have utilizes a roll-crimp and I prefer a taper crimp on my 9mm. The cost is exactly the same so it boils down to personal preference.

I went with the RCBS square primer turning tray instead of Hornady's round one...several people have complained that you can't get some square primer trays to set correctly inside of Hornady's primer tray but your mileage may vary.

Looking further ahead, I'll recommend you check out Montana Gold Bullet for some great quality jacketed bullets. I recently bought 1,000 124 grain 9mm bullets shipped for $105.00.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I also bought Hornady dies, which are fantastic by the way, but I opted for the other set of Hornady 9mm dies. The 9mm set you currently have utilizes a roll-crimp and I prefer a taper crimp on my 9mm. The cost is exactly the same so it boils down to personal preference.

I'll have to look for the other set. I was concerned about the roll crimp as well. I was unaware that they made two different sets. Thanks for the insight.

I went with the RCBS square primer turning tray instead of Hornady's round one...several people have complained that you can't get some square primer trays to set correctly inside of Hornady's primer tray but your mileage may vary.

I read those complaints as well. I'm switching it to the green one. The square design just makes more sense. Thanks again. :ingo:

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    Nice list.... I have been strongly suggesting that Santa bring me a reloader and accessories. I even drop subtle hints like leaving Cabelas open to the appropriate page, cutting out pictures and placing in my wife's jewelery box... taping to the mirror... wonder if she notices? I dont shoot a bunch today but i do like to have the ability to reload lighter loads for the wife and kids to shoot. That and looking at getting into Cowboy with a few friends next year and i am sure this will be required equipment at that time. Keep us update on how you like the press.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton

Que had it right on the mark about Andrew. I've noticed since I joined this site, Andrew goes out of his way to help people new to reloading.

I bought some brass off of him a month or so ago. Good brass and good price.

When you get into the reloading part, if you don't take the class of Andrews like Que suggested, but you can go to Indy to pick up, you might go in on the powder and primer buys Andrew offers. Saves you on hazmat fees and shipping. you'll find you'll go thru primers pretty quick, and once you get the right powder for your guns, depending on how much you shoot, its cheaper to buy in bulk in the long run

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That Rainier HP looks ok and you'd probably have no issues with it but I have in the past made loading harder than it should of been by buying particular HP plated bullets.

If only for plinking, I think a RN or FP has a couple of advantages... First, I always seem to have a easier time finding data for that syyle bullet. Second, in some cases the plated HP's are unique to the point where they require a little deeper seating than what I am comfortable with.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Sorry if im wrong, I have never reloaded for pistols or read about it yet but wont you need to trim your cases? I didnt see a trimmer on your list. If you trim you will need to chamfer and debur.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Depends on how hot your powder charges are. I've shot 45's and 40's ,6,7,8 times maybe more before I had to trim.
    But a trimmer will be needed eventually.
    Good eye on that one Eric

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Sorry if im wrong, I have never reloaded for pistols or read about it yet but wont you need to trim your cases? I didnt see a trimmer on your list. If you trim you will need to chamfer and debur.

I won't really know until I start measuring the brass. I suppose I should probably do that before I drop the order. :D

Top Bottom