• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I have a sharps, trapdoors and an 1885 in 45-70. You do need at least one for sure.
    I shoot smokeless in all of them with bullets I cast. Great fun!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Been waiting for someone else to mention it, but no one has.

While not meeting your historical requirements, the NEF Handi is a single shot brake down. I own one in 45-70, it will shoot any modern loading.

Have never had a deer even take a single step after being hit with it. My Fla. Wild Boar ran about 40 yards. Mine wears an inexpensive 3x9 and groups about 3 or 4 inches at 100 yards.

Hope you can find what you are looking for.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Been waiting for someone else to mention it, but no one has.

While not meeting your historical requirements, the NEF Handi is a single shot brake down. I own one in 45-70, it will shoot any modern loading.

Have never had a deer even take a single step after being hit with it. My Fla. Wild Boar ran about 40 yards. Mine wears an inexpensive 3x9 and groups about 3 or 4 inches at 100 yards.

Hope you can find what you are looking for.

Unfortunately Handi rifles were discontinued a few years back and command an unreasonable price these days. Neat guns if you come across them though.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Unfortunately Handi rifles were discontinued a few years back and command an unreasonable price these days. Neat guns if you come across them though.
    Sorry to hear that. I’ve got several, all purpose put together.
    Deer, (rifle & full rifle SB), Fox/Coyote, Ground Hog, Long range paper.

Saying that, I’m fairly sure they can be found on the secondary market. Don’t know about costs.

Given the cost of period equipment, my thoughts were toward the common man not collectors that want a mantle piece. The OP commented that he wanted a shooter for folks starting out in big boar. I gave my best answer. I was/am totally unaware of today’s cost.

Thanks, hope to visit some day if circumstances permit.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Sorry to hear that. I’ve got several, all purpose put together.
    Deer, (rifle & full rifle SB), Fox/Coyote, Ground Hog, Long range paper.

Saying that, I’m fairly sure they can be found on the secondary market. Don’t know about costs.

Your suggestion was spot on. Hands rifles are a great choice.

The crazy thing- what was once a $179 rifle I’ve seen selling for $500-$700. If you have a couple, hang onto them. They’re worth alot in the market these days. :-)

Reactions: Mij

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A friend who is a gunsmith told me that the CVA would handle anything but the Ruger only loads.
    It is a brand new firearm with modern metallurgy.
    No reason to doubt his word.
    Sorry, my bad, last night I misread your post. I read it as they could take the hot, rolling, falling, Browning lever high pressure loads. I was like whoa' horsey...

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    45-70 has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Have 4 of them right now.
    Encore 16" pistol w/brake.
    Browning BPCR.
    Marlin JM SBL 16" barrel.[Think Jurrassic Park movie]
    Browning 1886 lever.

Had an NEF single shot for awhile. Nice light weight and shot well.

Iload mostly a 420 grain cast bullet. Good compromise in weight for the 45-70. Accurate in all I have. I do have molds from 350 gr to 540 grains and occasionally use them. The BPCR likes the Lyman 500 gr round nose. It also shoots the 535 grain Postal bullet well. All with black powder in the BPCR.

I don't find the clean up much of a hassle from BP but that is just me.

It can be loaded any level you want.

Have to carry it more often hunting. Have not taken a deer with one yet. The muzzle loaders get more preference lately.

Don

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    My Love affair with 45-70 Govt started with Dad's Springfield Trapdoor w/32.5" Bbl(Original-Not a Reproduction).
    It was a Shooter!
    Very accurate @ 100yds & I could "walk it in" to be effective on a 5-gal bucket @ 300+ yds.
    Sadly, against my will-Dad traded the Springfield away, many years before he Passed.
    I now have 4 rifles in 45-70 & enjoy shooting them All(my attraction to the Caliber still lives on).
    I reload & only use Smokeless Powders.
    A couple of suggestions, if you're gonna get into 45-70:
    1) You'll need to "Load your Own" (factory ammo for this great Cartridge is Stupid expensive)
    2) Start out with a Falling Block, since they can handle Most loads
    3) Don't start with a High Dollar model (unless you have a lot of cash burning a hole in your pocket)
    4) It's been my experience that Pedersoli & Cimmaron make Quality firearms
    Hope this Helps & Hope you'll give 45-70 a Try!
    Eternal Thanks & RIP SSGT RMM.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    45-70 has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Have 4 of them right now.
    Encore 16" pistol w/brake.
    Browning BPCR.
    Marlin JM SBL 16" barrel.[Think Jurrassic Park movie]
    Browning 1886 lever.

Had an NEF single shot for awhile. Nice light weight and shot well.

Iload mostly a 420 grain cast bullet. Good compromise in weight for the 45-70. Accurate in all I have. I do have molds from 350 gr to 540 grains and occasionally use them. The BPCR likes the Lyman 500 gr round nose. It also shoots the 535 grain Postal bullet well. All with black powder in the BPCR.

I don't find the clean up much of a hassle from BP but that is just me.

It can be loaded any level you want.

Have to carry it more often hunting. Have not taken a deer with one yet. The muzzle loaders get more preference lately.

Don
    Awesome, I have the bpcr series and both 1886 rifles. Who's 535 mold do you have and what alloy are you using?
    I have one of Steve Brooks 520 plus molds he builds for the browning HW 45's.
    And a few other 400 grain molds, with a few bore riders that I've tried years ago.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own several different ones, Sharps, High Walls, Rolling Blocks, and Trapdoors. My like is the Trapdoor, High Wall, Rolling Block, and then the Sharps. Carbines are easy to carry hunting but hurt from both ends when fired. The Trapdoor will have the most history for the USA but the Rolling Block was used by a lot of other country’s at that time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You really need a 45-70. No one can truly be happy without one. Admit it, every day you are wondering what you would do if you ran across a marauding bison. When one escaped down south of us I explained to the wife how our lives were in danger and bought a Marlin 1895 lever action.
    Bison Zombies could be a thing and I wouldn't be ready for them without a 45-70. I'm with you on your logic. Makes sense to me. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As far as the old H&R single shots go I had one of their buffalo classics in 45-70 but ultimately had to sell it. I regret that, but onto better things I suppose.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Awesome, I have the bpcr series and both 1886 rifles. Who's 535 mold do you have and what alloy are you using?
    I have one of Steve Brooks 520 plus molds he builds for the browning HW 45's.
    And a few other 400 grain molds, with a few bore riders that I've tried years ago.
    The 535 is the Lyman Postal bullet. I also have a similar sized paper patch mould from RCBS. The Browning BPCR will shoot either but really likes the 500 grain Lyman RN.

The 1886 uses the 420 gr FN bullet I mentioned. Has to be seated a little deeper because of the chamber. It has been cut to fit the 405 gr Lyman bullet I suspect because they fit without problem.

Don

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The 535 is the Lyman Postal bullet. I also have a similar sized paper patch mould from RCBS. The Browning BPCR will shoot either but really likes the 500 grain Lyman RN.

The 1886 uses the 420 gr FN bullet I mentioned. Has to be seated a little deeper because of the chamber. It has been cut to fit the 405 gr Lyman bullet I suspect because they fit without problem.

Don
    Very good, All the big moulds that I have in 45 are also postells from 520 to 540 depending on what alloy I use. A fe are bore riders that were made just for those bpcr rifles including the Steve Brooks that I have. They have huge throats that with the 70 and 90 I can easily leave a lube and driving band outside of the case and easily still chamber them in a somewhat dirty chamber. The bore riders need at least a 5 rd quick clean and a blow tube between shots.
    I Goex Chartridge In them, I have about half a case of it left. I don't know what I will use if I finish what I have left.
    In my 1886's I shoot smokeless and 350? grain bulk Winchester jacketed that Midway sold long ago.

Top Bottom